• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australia's test side for the Ashes in Australia

Riggins

International Captain
Good one-day middle order players, who are forced to learn how to knock lots of singles in the middle overs of spinners, tend to be good players of spin.

Although I guess that presents the whole cause - effect thing.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
He sucks against good spin though. Destroys average spinners though.
Sadly, he is still most likely the best.

I'm also thinking that Callum Ferguson goes alright against spinners. I haven't thought about it that much though.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
you'd expect most NSW batsmen to be decent against spin, how about Nevilleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee?

91Jmay

International Coach
Is Dussey poor against pace bowling then? You'd think with his knowledge of English conditions and his experience he'd have had more of a look in. He would probably only have 12-18 months though, meaning you'd have to find new bats again soon with Rogers as well.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
Is Dussey poor against pace bowling then? You'd think with his knowledge of English conditions and his experience he'd have had more of a look in. He would probably only have 12-18 months though, meaning you'd have to find new bats again soon with Rogers as well.
was terrible in the SS last season, flat track bully IMO, couldn't cope with the movement on shield pitches, does know how to score runs though, mightn't have done any better than Smitteh though

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Dussey is overall quite ordinary against short pitched bowling, but you have to give the guy some credit, he still averages over 50 throughout a long career so knows how to make runs in all circumstances.

For this particular series, he would have been ideal coming in at number 4 in hindsight.

Last edited:

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
I think all of Khawaja, Hughes, and Cowan are capable batsmen and should have been given a proper run in the team. Yes, Cowan was given an extended run but he was dropped after the first test after being one of the better bats in India.

batting lineup for the return series:

Warner
Rogers
Hughes
Khawaja
Clarke
Smith/Watson (Watson if he can bowl, Smith otherwise)

Cowan should be the reserve opener/1st drop batsman if Hughes still can't get his **** together.

The bowlers, really depends on how Pattinson and Harris' fitness is.

Last edited:

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
I'm not even going to consider naming a batting lineup until after this series is over. Lehmann has stated that some of the batsman are playing for their careers. I assume that means Khawaja, Smith and probably Watson need runs and if they do perform in the final Test, there is every chance they will play at the Gabba.

The line which I definitely do not accept though is that we should keep picking between Hughes, Khawaja and Smith as 'they are the best we've got'. There are without doubt batsman out there who could perform above the level that the NSW developed trio have performed at so far in their careers.

One thing that I completely agree with Backlash is that the decision to stage big series is costing our batsman from developing. We NEED some batsman scoring runs against weaker opponents, learning how to bat longer and just gaining confidence that they can make runs. We should bring out Bangladesh or Zimbabwe this time next year and play up in Darwin or Cairns.

Flem274*

123/5
I think Rogers, Warner, Clarke and Smith should all be retained since they've been the four guys holding Australia together when they've played. I'd probably go with Hughes at three and I guess Watson at six since he's coming off a good knock and can bowl. He's on the thinnest of ices though.

Tangles

International Vice-Captain
The problem is if your blonde and your name starts with W your not playing for your career. None of the NSW 3 will get given the amount of opportunities that he has.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The thing is if some are playing for their careers who replaces them and are they any good anyway? If England get off to a good start this winter and are ahead after the first couple of tests then I can see Australia chopping and changing their side again in the same way they have in England looking for a magic formula.

Tangles

Uzi, Hughes and Smith getting dropped and replaced by Doolan, Maddinson, Burns, etc wont achieve anything with the same instant gratification results policy. Unless one if them magically makes an instant success of it your left with 3 new guys knowing they bat for their career every time they walk out. Your not developing young batters your throwing them to the wolves hoping one of them figures out how to fight. That might work when the SS was churning out guys like Love, Law etc but that's clearly not the case anymore.

Tangles

The thing is if some are playing for their careers who replaces them and are they any good anyway? If England get off to a good start this winter and are ahead after the first couple of tests then I can see Australia chopping and changing their side again in the same way they have in England looking for a magic formula.
It's what we saw England do during the Juggernaught years and it doesn't work. Once they were 2 nil down you knew axings and wacky selections were coming. Now that's us except we started the first test with wacky.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It's what we saw England do during the Juggernaught years and it doesn't work. Once they were 2 nil down you knew axings and wacky selections were coming. Now that's us except we started the first test with wacky.
It is exactly what we used to do, the worst bit was the recycling of failures you knew weren't up to it. That was worse than the funky selections of a guy who had got a couple of hundreds in the last month as at least they were in form even if they may not have been up to it.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Would seem harsh on Smith to bracket him with Hughes, Khawaja and Watson.
Yes and no. This series Smith has reached 20 twice in 8 attempts. He still needs to score more runs. However, he has shown more fighting qualities, is definitely better in the field (I still can't believe that drop from Lyon) and can bowl a bit so he doesn't deserve the axe when we keep picking Khawaja.

Uzi, Hughes and Smith getting dropped and replaced by Doolan, Maddinson, Burns, etc wont achieve anything with the same instant gratification results policy. Unless one if them magically makes an instant success of it your left with 3 new guys knowing they bat for their career every time they walk out. Your not developing young batters your throwing them to the wolves hoping one of them figures out how to fight. That might work when the SS was churning out guys like Love, Law etc but that's clearly not the case anymore.
There is exactly what I disagree with. Why are we settling on these three batsman and Watto who have had their techniques exposed to varying degrees while playing Test Cricket. Smith and Khawaja average under 30! Hughes is under 33, it is crazy and wrong to think that everyone else playing domestic cricket will average under 33 if they got to play Test Cricket. The batsman need to be accountable and if they continue to struggle and we lose they need to be dropped. Do we really think that all of Voges, Cosgrove, Bailey, Doolan, Maddinson will average under 33?

I'm not advocating dropping all 3 from the team and bringing in 2 or 3 new batsman at once, but the young NSW developed trio should not be guaranteed selection on overseas tours all the time if they don't contribute at a high enough level in Test Cricket.

BTW, you mentioned Martin Love, Alex Doolan has quite a similar game to Love and I'm now convinced that he should be given an opportunity as the batting unit is not working now.

Tangles

We dont have to settle on those 3 they are just the ones on tour right now. I'd like to see a consistent approach to picking guys from the SS and giving them a certain number of games to find form. If the SS isnt producing bats then we need to get the potentials into more Australia A games but when they make Finch captain, let alone picking him in the first place, you know they are not picking guys they want to groom for the Test team.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
The recent Aus A team was a disgrace, it gave me absolutely no indication of who would be suitable replacements for our currently failing batting unit.