• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australia's test side for the Ashes in Australia

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
You know, after years of seeing Warne and McGill, it is slightly strange and more than a bit satisfying to see you scratching around for little offys.

Debating about guys with bowling averages pushing 40. Good stuff!
SOK averages about 26 tbf. Only takes like 3 poles a game though.

adub

International Captain
Every Australian finger spinner since WWII only takes around 3 poles per game. It's just the way it is.

I'm pretty sure Mallett at a bit under 3.8 a game (fc) is way out in front. Tim May for instance is under 3.1.

Last edited:

Waxhead

Cricket Spectator
Michael Clarke says Australian Ashes picks are 'no brainers' | Sport | theguardian.com

Oh dear Pup. I know in your position you can't go in front of the media and say the selectors are muppetts, but if Mitchell Johnson is one of the selections then it's probably not reflecting the meaning of "no brainer" you were perhaps aiming for.
+1
Johnson's selection is a prime example of why australian cricket is now a running joke imo - a bad one.
I'm an aussie who's watched Johnson play & fail so many times I've lost count.
If he has a spat with his Mum he's delivers 0 for 150..
If his GF calls him a sissy he gets 0 for 150.
If it's the wrong time of the month he gets 0 for 150
On a good day he gets 1 for 100.
Occasionally he picks up a tail ender.
If he gets no wickets he gets no runs either.

He's got no heart, no determination and has been tried and failed sooooo many times it's depressing to watch.
It seems Aussie selectors (and players) never learn - and that's half the problem with aussie cricket the past 5 years imo

Last edited:

Waxhead

Cricket Spectator
It is amazing how Johnson averages under 31 with the ball given the above post.
For such a proven DUD it is amazing but he bowled well in his fist 10 tests - then it was all downhill.
What's his average in the past 2 years - is it under 50

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
For such a proven DUD it is amazing but he bowled well in his fist 10 tests - then it was all downhill.
What's his average in the past 2 years - is it under 50
Despite the inconvenience of having a tampon wedged firmly in his jockstrap, Johnson has averaged 33.11 from 5 Test matches since 16/11/2011.

Now to agree with you a bit... I feel as though the extra pace that Johnson offers can work in Test Cricket. If we were playing against the little Sri Lankans or something. I don't think the England team is all that concerned with extra pace and bounce and England's top 6 are generally good at waiting for the bad ball.

Waxhead, who would you have picked?

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
The only way you can argue that Australia are more clueless sans Harris than England are sans Anderson is if you only watch Ashes matches.
This is just flat out rubbish.
Anderson has missed so few Tests its impossible to say how we'd do without him. Broad is not overly dependent on him to produce top class performances (though they obviously work very well together, much as Anderson and Flintoff did) and if he pulled out his best we would be fine. That is a big if though but the last Test I remember Broad playing that Jimmy didn't was V Sri Lanka in 2011 when he was in horrid form.

Australia evidently have more depth so could cope better in that regard, and also the fact Harris is so likely to miss Tests regularly means they should be able to adapt more easily.

Last edited:

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Cummins: Dead, as per usual
Pattinson: Dead, may be resurrected for the latter half of the series
Bird: Alive, back to bowling in the nets, not match fit.
Starc: Broken
Bollinger: Maybe injured, maybe not
Hazlewood: See Cummins
Sayers: 100% fit, firing and ready to go if Invers picks up the phone.