• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australia's test side for the Ashes in Australia

Captain_Cook

U19 12th Man
I think most England fans will be very pleased with this squad. Rogers and Clarke are the only threats in the line up. I think its sad that flat track bullies like Bailey are making the once great Aussie team. I've heard Aussies say he's the next Hussey and while I think they are crazy, I'd like to see another player of his calibre to make it a fairer fight.

This team will be put to the sword just like Flintoff's England in 06/07. In many ways Australia could have pulled an '05 on us this summer, good Aussie bowling, mediocre England batting and ample opportunity to win at TB and CLS. Yet you didn't have the bottle, that was because England had lost eight in a row and you need to lose a lot to smell blood and finish your opponent.

With the current England and Aussie sides, I think England have their best chance of whitewashing Australia since Test cricket began. An Australian victory or drawn series would be a remarkable achievement.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Captain Cook how can you write off Warner? he won't be a threat all series but on the couple of occasions he does get going he will be a huge danger as he scores so quickly. If the new ball doesn't move much and he can see it off then he can have a field day. I respect Warner, Clarke and Rogers but think the others have enough weaknesses to exploit, leaving out Bailey as never seen him against a red ball unless he played against us in that A match on the last tour and only saw bits of that.

Can't wait now, bring it on.

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
I think most England fans will be very pleased with this squad. Rogers and Clarke are the only threats in the line up. I think its sad that flat track bullies like Bailey are making the once great Aussie team. I've heard Aussies say he's the next Hussey and while I think they are crazy, I'd like to see another player of his calibre to make it a fairer fight.

This team will be put to the sword just like Flintoff's England in 06/07. In many ways Australia could have pulled an '05 on us this summer, good Aussie bowling, mediocre England batting and ample opportunity to win at TB and CLS. Yet you didn't have the bottle, that was because England had lost eight in a row and you need to lose a lot to smell blood and finish your opponent.

With the current England and Aussie sides, I think England have their best chance of whitewashing Australia since Test cricket began. An Australian victory or drawn series would be a remarkable achievement.
Captain Cook, I think you would have said this irrespective of the squad announced by the Aussie selectors.. :p

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
The two teams are becoming increasingly evenly matched that a series whitewash as in 5-0 to England would be an absolutely massive surprise.

Burgey

Fmd Captain Cook producing some utter **** in this thread. Positing bluster and bull****. From dusk til dawn.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator

Well, that's my decision on who to support this series done then.

Burgey

Of course it's serious. There is no way in hell that bloke would be capable of putting that up as an attempt at humour.

Burgey

I mean, I consider myself lucky to have come across that post by Capatin Cook and the one hour ABC interview with Paul Keating on the one night.

Captain_Cook

U19 12th Man
There is no evidence or rational process to explain the optimism of Aussie supporters. Australia will lose this series due to their weak batting. How you can lose 3-0 in England and 4-0 in India and think that this test series will be drawn or won by Australia.

England Last 9 Tests: DWDWWWWDD
Australia Last 9 Tests: DLDLLLLLL

The likelihood of an England whitewash is more likely than an Australian victory. The batting has alway been a problem for Australia as the bowling it par with England. That gulf in skill with the willow will surrender all chance of Aussie regaining the Ashes.

Burgey

So you're of the view that the gulf between these sides is the equivalent to or greater than that between the two sides in 2006/7? It would arguably need to be greater, given Australia is playing at home.

Do you really think that, or are you doing the Ian Healy and just cheerleading?

Burgey

How many times did England pass 400 at home against Australia last summer? You're talking like Cook, Carberry and Trott are Hobbs, Sutcliffe and Hammond ffs. Honestly son, wake up to yourself.

The Battlers Prince

International Vice-Captain
If Cook's men can win 2 tests I'll be surprised. The last series just the important calls seemed to go Englands way. I'm not necessarile referring to the umpiring either. The weather did it too. The taking 20 wickets will be the thing for Australia and I think that is why Johnson was picked. He has an ability I consider similar to Brett Lee. That may annoy some people but Lee was a great bowler when he swung it. But when he didn't he was taken apart similarly to Johnson. The point is both could take wickets and provide that aggressive pace. Australia's batting was superior in general to England minus Bell in the last series. Bell was the guy who won that last series. He or someone else may do it again but it's closer than the Captain seems to be suggesting

flibbertyjibber

I honestly think he was serious. If GuyFromLancs or GIMH or four_or_six posted it then I'd take it as a wind up but that's a serious post IMO.
Even I can see it was a post to wind up the Aussie fans. I think we will win the series and win it easier than many on here think but no way will it be 5-0. 3-1 is more likely.