• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australia's test side for the Ashes in Australia

Riggins

International Captain
yeah, seemed bizarre to pick someone out of the blue, they smash a run a ball (iirc) 160 and then they're dropped for good. must be a complete ****wit.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Is it just me who thinks Hughes is even worse than Khawaja?

EDIT: Just read the thread. Evidently not.

Last edited:

Spikey

pews has summed that whole thing up a ouple of times. i'll let him quote on his own posts

yeah, seemed bizarre to pick someone out of the blue, they smash a run a ball (iirc) 160 and then they're dropped for good. must be a complete ****wit.
patterson only got a game 'cause a lot of options were unavailable (he wasnt even named in the original squad for that game, but was called in when Henriques joined the unavailable list) and he was basically the best performing grade player at that moment of time. i get the feeling they just didnt want to play him that much yet (he was still in the U19 team at the stage). so once the options returned he was dropped (but maybe he is just a dick they dont want to play). and last season he just did nothing for most of it. finished strongly iirc. had some injury problems maybe...?

Last edited:

outbreak

First Class Debutant
rogers
warner
hughes
clarke
bailey/doolan/voges/mcdonald
smith
haddin
pattinson
siddle
harris
lyon (o'keefe if lyon struggles but he'd bat higher)

Riggins

International Captain
pews has summed that whole thing up a ouple of times. i'll let him quote on his own posts

patterson only got a game 'cause a lot of options were unavailable (he wasnt even named in the original squad for that game, but was called in when Henriques joined the unavailable list) and he was basically the best performing grade player at that moment of time. i get the feeling they just didnt want to play him that much yet (he was still in the U19 team at the stage). so once the options returned he was dropped (but maybe he is just a dick they dont want to play). and last season he just did nothing for most of it. finished strongly iirc. had some injury problems maybe...?
yea i get that. I knew he was never in their original plans, but when you do get the chance and make a massive ton surely that buys you one more game.

Flametree

International 12th Man
Not sure why Smith appears so often in these lists. Worked hard etc etc good against spin etc etc but on bouncy wickets is he really one of Australia's top 6 batsmen?

Genuine question - is Wade not more likely to score runs than any of Hughes, Khawaja or Smith? If I were running the show I'd tell Wade to go back to state cricket and bat at three, forget about keeping, and see if he can stake a claim.

This is all immaterial of course. We're talking about a side to be picked by the Australian selectors - who decided in their infinite wisdom to play neither Harris nor Lyon for the first test of this series. Who just took 16 wickets between them in the last test.

Tangles

International Vice-Captain
They didn't think Harris was fit is my only guess. And they don't rate Lyon by looking at his recent treatment. Dropped for Xman and Agar.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Clarke to 5. Warner and Rogers remain as openers. The rest of the top order doesn't matter. They won't score many runs wherever they bat

benchmark00

Interesting piece here, find myself agreeing with it all:

The Australian line up we see today is mentally fragile. The batting side of it at least. They’ve rode on the coat tails of Michael Clarke which breeds dependency, a batsman’s biggest curse. If Clarke fails, the team fails, seemingly unable to forge large partnerships without the skipper. Once Clarke is dismissed there is an intangible wave of self doubt that covers the others, they simply believe they can’t do it. Haddin’s mental strength is unquestionable, but he’s in the twilight of his career. Smith has shown a penchant for tougher runs than other new players, but he’s more the exception to the rule. They simply don’t put a premium price on their wicket.

You don’t need to have all the shots. If you do have all the shots, you shouldn’t play them all. Australia are breeding a culture of entertainment first, results second. It’s all well and good Darren Lehmann coming out and saying he wants his chargers to play their natural game and go out and take the game to the opposition, but he needs to look at what he’s working with. He doesn’t have a team with the ability he had. He doesn’t have a team that have made mountains of runs against all comers. He needs to start installing a culture of playing within yourself, and once you’ve established yourself, don’t let those standards slip.
The Trouble With Australia | Spreading the Ashes

Furball

Evil Scotsman
It never fails to amuse me when people perfectly diagnose the malaise in Australia's batting then name a top 6 that includes Watson.

Riggins

International Captain
yeah maybe, i guess he couldn't do worse than the ****wits in there now, and he's in the squad. purely from a batting perspective there are some other blokes i would want to see given a go ahead of him, but they aren't in the squad. who knows what they'll do.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Who would you guys say are Australia's best players of spin who aren't currently in the test side?

Riggins

International Captain
One problem is that guys never face good spin in state cricket, or at least in any conditions that remotely suit spin bowling, so you often don't realise just how **** they are facing spin until they're actually playing internationals.

Guys like Hughes etc, who have looked terrible, survive fine in state cricket, and while they never look like dominating a spinner and get tied down, it's not a walking wicket.