• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australia's test side for the Ashes in Australia

adub

International Captain
Stat of the Day.

Mitchell Johnson has bowled 15 innings in test matches against England.

His economy rate was more than 3.5 in all but two of them and over 4.0 in 53% of them (8/15) for an overall economy rate of 4.03 rpo.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
I know it's a stretch, but consider how many hapless young batsmen we've sent in at 3 and they've failed, yet Smitteh comes in to number 5/6 and has some success, I honestly think it's the best way to go, at least for the first series or 2 with Doolan
I know Clarke's stats at 5 are incredibly good. But cricket isn't just stats and I think if the guys above him can get through a bit he will be fine at 4. That can allow whoever is coming into the side a better chance at success IMO
I still don't see what purpose it serves moving Clarke up the order when he has been so brilliant when coming to the crease at 3 wickets down and so average at 2 down. Steve Waugh batted the majority of his career at 5 and 6 and I'm happy to use the Chanderpaul example again as I can't remember any instance where Clarke has finished the innings not out for a low score because he has run out of partners.

Someone like Doolan is a top order batsman who has recently had experience opening the batting at First Class level. Moving him to 4 is already protecting him a little but at the same time not completely shifting him around to protect him. We can agree to disagree..

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Stat of the Day.

His economy rate was more than 3.5 in all but two of them and over 4.0 in 53% of them (8/15) for an overall economy rate of 4.03 rpo.
Yep that really isn't too much of a surprise given the fact he bowls about 1.5 to 2 ordinary balls per over. Johnson is the biggest pressure release, he takes ages to bowl overs so we struggle with overrates which mean we can't always bowl who we want to bowl to at times and I still have my theory that he doesn't preserve the ball as well as the other quicks. He is only ever forgiven when he has a good days when he looks excellent.

Last edited:

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
and that's my biggest issue with his selection. i just don't see how he fits in with the established bowling plan

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Stat of the Day.

Really hope these are going to continue so I can keep stealing them and putting them on Facebook.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Stat of the Day.

How many of the 15 innings are wicketless?

Can accept a guy going for runs if he takes wickets regularly but not as though Johnson does against us.

Tangles

International Vice-Captain
Ok with Chadd or Dougeh but not MJ.

If Watson can't bowl I can see Faulkner getting picked. Him and MJ would be a bad idea. Weakens the batting and bowling.

adub

International Captain
How many of the 15 innings are wicketless?

Can accept a guy going for runs if he takes wickets regularly but not as though Johnson does against us.
Stat of the Day (addendum)

Mitchell Johnson has failed to take a wicket in 20% of his innings against England (3/15)

adub

International Captain
tbf to Johnson his strike rate (51.2) and wickets per innings (2.3) are fine. There's no question he take wickets (even if a lot of them are off absolute **** bowling).

It the fact that he just makes it so easy for the opposition to rack up their score that hurts us more than the opposition. A guy taking wickets as often as he does should not be averaging 34.42 against a side, yet Johnson does against England. 4.03 rpo explains why.

As a comparison, Englands run rate against Australia in tests including Mitchell Johnson - 3.58. That means the rest of the bowlers were still going at about 3.45 rpo which is too high I'd suggest, but how hard must it be to reign in batsmen that are off to a flyer thanks to the **** at the other end giving them pies to feast on. In games against England featuring Mitchell Johnson:-
Michael Beer 2.94 rpo
Xavier Doherty 3.03 rpo
Nathan Hauritz 3.10 rpo (and no I'm not looking for any of those ****s back in the side (although Hauries sub 35 test average doesn't stack up too bad), but clearly the Poms weren't driving their scoring rates up over 3.5 off the back of the spinners)
Ben Hilfenhaus 3.00 rpo
Peter Siddle 3.5 rpo (still a bit high, but not outrageous)

Cook, Trott and friends will be licking their lips at the prospect of getting a few early boundaries away off Johnson to get their innings going.

adub

International Captain
A confident Michael Clarke says Australia are better positioned for the Ashes this time around, with 11 players making themselves "no brainer" selections.
Michael Clarke says Australian Ashes picks are 'no brainers' | Sport | theguardian.com

Oh dear Pup. I know in your position you can't go in front of the media and say the selectors are muppetts, but if Mitchell Johnson is one of the selections then it's probably not reflecting the meaning of "no brainer" you were perhaps aiming for.

adub

International Captain
Stat of the Day (for tomorrow)

Nathan Lyon and Graeme Swann have virtually identical economy rates in the 4th innings of a Test match (2.71 v 2.74), but that's where the 5th day similarities end...

Graeme Swann has bowled 16 times in the 4th innings of a Test match. In those 16 innings he has taken 40 wickets (2.5 w/i) at 27.52 (overall ave 28.55). His economy rate is 2.74 (v 2.93 overall) and strike rate is 60.2 (v 58.4 overall).

Nathan Lyon has bowled 13 times in the 4th innings of a Test match. In those 13 innings he has taken 16 wickets (1.2 w/i) at 34.25 (overall ave 33.23). His economy rate is 2.71 (v 3.05 overall) and strike rate is 75.6 (v 65.2 overall)

In terms of w/i in the 4th innings of a test Swann ranks up with the very best. Of the 48 spinners in test history who have taken more than 15 wickets in the 4th innings of tests only Warne (2.6), Murali (3.0), Kumble (2.7), Bedi (2.6), Trumble (2.9), Tayfield (3.6), Mailey (3.4), Grimmett (3.7), Peel (4.2), O'Reilly (2.7), and Rehman (3.4) have taken more wickets per innings than Swann.

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Very interesting and indicative of one of Lyon's main faults, but was really hoping for more 'Mitchell Johnson is ****' stats. Please correct this come Wednesday.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
I'm happy to use the Chanderpaul example again as I can't remember any instance where Clarke has finished the innings not out for a low score because he has run out of partners.
The Chanderpaul example is terrible because he clearly should be batting at at least 4 in this side, and probably most sides he's played in really.

However Clarke is a totally different batsman and not as adept at playing the moving ball, so staying at 5 probably isn't a bad idea.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Surprised to see such a small difference between the number of 4th innings Swann and Lyon have bowled in. Perhaps explained by our purple patch where a lot of matches only went 3 innings, but still.

howardj

International Coach
This will be the 12 man squad announced today IMO

Clarke
Warner
Rogers
Watson
Smith
Bailey
Haddin
Lyon
Siddle
Harris
Johnson
Faulkner

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
and that's my biggest issue with his selection. i just don't see how he fits in with the established bowling plan
Yeah, somewhat ironically, for GF's boy to play, Watson is pretty much a must.

What time (GMT) is the squad announced btw Spikey?