• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australia's test side for the Ashes in Australia

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
1. Greg Mail (3)
2. Nic Maddinson
3. Jake Doran
4. Michael Clarke
5. People's Champ (6) *
6. Super Dom (7)
7. Hypno Nev +
8. Luke Doran (5)
9. Cando Sandhu (4)
10. Josh Hazlewood (2)
11. Dougeh Bollinger (1)

Would have picked 5 copies of Greg Mail if we had cloning tech. Unbeatable XI.
Mail's not available unfortunately. Retired from First Class cricket a couple of seasons ago or no doubt would've played 20 odd Tests for an average of 80 by now.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
But yeah, you're right in that if you're going to call for consistent Shield performances in order to make the side, Bailey is out. As are a few of the others he mentioned.
If we're calling for consistent Shield performances then it all points to Australia taking to the field with 10 players.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Right.

As I see it, the Australian side is pretty well settled for the first Test save there's a middle order spot up for grabs and (at this stage barring more injuries) one fast bowling spot.

The likely side is:

Rogers
Warner
Watson
Clarke
People's Champ
?
Haddin
Harris
Siddle
?
Lyon

Before the Shield and warm ups start, let's each make our predictions as to who will get the last batting and bowling spots, and also whom we'd like to see get them.

Number 6:

Prediction: Khawaja
Preferred: Jimmy Stewart

Last fast bowling spot:

Prediction: Johnson
Preferred: I really dunno tbh. With the blokes who are out injured, it's pretty hard to name someone who you know will actually do a better job than Johnson might do if he's picked. Hazewlwood maybe?

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
I'd like to see:

Rogers
Marsh
Watson
Cosgrove
Clarke
Smitteh
Haddin
Faulkner
Siddle
Harris
Lyon

dermo

International Vice-Captain
number 6:

prediction: Bailey
preferred: Bailey

Bowler:

prediction: MJ
preferred: Haze

benchmark00

@ Burger-

Siddle to bat ahead of Harris obv.

Writing a blog post (eta December next year) about the players of interest this summer. Stay tuned.

benchmark00

I'm as much of a Haze fan as the next bl00 bl00d, but if he plays it should be at the expense of a seam bowler, i.e. Harris or Siddle.

Chadd is the man.

Riggins

International Captain
Agreed. While Patto is out I reckon CHADD could do a good job, particularly with games at the Gabba and Waca.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I'm as much of a Haze fan as the next bl00 bl00d, but if he plays it should be at the expense of a seam bowler, i.e. Harris or Siddle.

Chadd is the man.
Eloquentia's boi.

I'm going to get shot for this, but I'd pick Hilfenhaus or Butterworth ahead of Sayers if pushed to pick a genuine swing bowler, especially now that McDermott is back on the coaching staff.

adub

International Captain
I'm a Haze fan too, but the boi just hasn't stepped up yet. I'd only pick him if there was absolutely no alternative to him or Johnson.

If Dougeh starts the Shield season strongly he should be in line. Looks fitter than he ever has.

Batting spot should be Hughes with Uzi a show if he keeps up his good form in the Shield.

But Bailey and MJ are probably the selector's picks

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I'm really not sure at all who I want as the third seamer yet. Leaning towards Hilfenhaus; he did bowl puss in the Ryobi Cup but he's never been much of a one day cricketer. If he's bowling with a proper action then he's by pick; if he's doing his impersonation of a mirrored Mitchell Johnson then he can forget it. I like adub's suggestion of Bollinger if he starts the season well and I've also liked Butterworth (although, unlike Ruckus I don't think he should be making his debut at Adelaide Oval..).