• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australia's test side for the Ashes in Australia

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Who do you think England would be least happiest seeing? I think it would have to be Bailey despite his poor first class season last year.
I agree, Bailey looks to have it up top which is probably more than half the battle for international cricket. I'd pick him ahead of Hughes anyway.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Benchy - It depends on how the selectors go. I would pick Doolan but I guess it depends if they feel others would benefit more from an A game than players like Khawaja, Hughes, Johnson.

Flibberty - Yeah I agree completely.

adub

International Captain
Isn't Cameron White just a poor man George Bailey though? White is just doing what Bailey is doing but Bailey is doing it at a higher level.
Correct and until either decides to make a habit of scoring Shield runs should not be close to consideration. Khawaja as bad as he's been going is still going better than these guys and Hughes' shield record smacks em all and is delivering in the ODI's. I'd have Wade batting top 6 before White or Bailey.

dermo

International Vice-Captain
ftr Bailey averaged 58 in the 11/12 shield season, he then debuted in the ODI team not long after that so if you exclude his last shield season which was rubbish, he's been scoring runs across a few formats for a while now

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
And tbf to his last season, IIRC he played on some truly awful pitches.

His OD form shows he has the temperament for the level, but is his technique good?

adub

International Captain
ftr Bailey averaged 58 in the 11/12 shield season, he then debuted in the ODI team not long after that so if you exclude his last shield season which was rubbish, he's been scoring runs across a few formats for a while now
and the season before he averaged 30. Consistent ordinary with rare flashes of decent.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Who do you think England would be least happiest seeing? I think it would have to be Bailey despite his poor first class season last year.

GEM have confirmed they are showing the Australia A match Nov 6-9 and the Test team is being announced on Nov 12. So a big showing in that match could be crucial.

Who are the selectors likely to pick for A game? I'm thinking our top 6 will comprise of Hughes, Finch (lol), Khawaja, Marsh, Maddinson and Bailey. Our pace attack will include Johnson, Coulter-Nile and Hazlewood and our spinner will be either Holland or Fawad. That isn't my team, it is just what I think we will see.

EDIT - Wade will be the 'keeper'
Reckon it's an easy team to pick

Simply choose the guys that have been mentioned in dispatches but shouldn't be anywhere near the test team

Klinger
Finch
Khawaja
Marsh
Bailey (c)
Hughes
Wade (wk)
Coulter-Nile
Hilf
McKay
Ahmed

Set 'em up to fail and **** them off out of contention before the series starts

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
'A' team? Well it depends a little on early SS form but...

Klinger
Maddinson
Khawaja
Hughes
Bailey
Doolan
Nevill (wk)
Forkers
Cutting
Chaddddddd
Ahmed

Justo

U19 Debutant
Maddinson
Finch
Doolan
Hughes
Bailey c
Henriques
Wade +
Agar
Hilfy
Haze
The Chad

Silk could be subbed in for one of the openers depending on his form. Hughes could potentially take any position in the team depending on how other batsmen have gone in the shield (and depending on where they bat in the shield E.G. Maddinson will potentially be playing at 3-4 in the SS due to NSW's other options). Hilfy will probably be replaced with a younger bowler (thinking Sandu, McDermott etc). A teams have pretty much always had at least some sort of all rounder in recent times and Henriques will probably be doing just enough without being great to take that spot. Spinner is probably the hardest slot to pick since none of the options (excluding O'Keefe, Hauritz since they're blacklisted) have significant careers/stats behind them but if he's done semi OK in the lead up Agar will likely get the gig IMO (even if it's only so that Beer or Turner can trade for some game time elsewhere for WA).

KungFu_Kallis

International 12th Man
Spinner is probably the hardest slot to pick since none of the options (excluding O'Keefe, Hauritz since they're blacklisted) have significant careers/stats behind them but if he's done semi OK in the lead up Agar will likely get the gig IMO (even if it's only so that Beer or Turner can trade for some game time elsewhere for WA).
Please explain why you believe SOK is blacklisted? Hauritz probably less debatable as he had a good run and has very much been superseded as an off spinner by the other Nathan.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
SOK the commentator makes a decent enough cricketer. Basically he is far from the Australian set up these days.

I think the Test team will be: 1 Warner 2 Rogers 3 Watson 4 Clarke 5 Smith 6 Bailey 7 Haddin 8 Johnson 9 Siddle 10 Harris 11 Lyon

I think the A Team squad will be: 1 Hughes 2 Finch 3 Marsh 4 Doolan 5 Maddinson 6 Wade 7 Faulkner 8 Coulter-Nile 9 Hazlewood 10 Holland 11 Sayers 12 Cutting

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Yes potentially. That is why I ended up naming a squad of 12 and including him. I think it is fair to say that Cutting and Coulter-Nile are quite similar cricketers so ideally you wouldn't want both in your team but in a trial sort of match I guess it isn't a big deal or anything. BTW I would love it if Finch isn't selected. His selection would send the wrong message to other domestic cricketers.

dermo

International Vice-Captain
SOK the commentator makes a decent enough cricketer. Basically he is far from the Australian set up these days.

I think the Test team will be: 1 Warner 2 Rogers 3 Watson 4 Clarke 5 Smith 6 Bailey 7 Haddin 8 Johnson 9 Siddle 10 Harris 11 Lyon

I think the A Team squad will be: 1 Hughes 2 Finch 3 Marsh 4 Doolan 5 Maddinson 6 Wade 7 Faulkner 8 Coulter-Nile 9 Hazlewood 10 Holland 11 Sayers 12 Cutting
whether i agree with it or not im with n00fers that will most likely be the test side picked

reckon Mckay is ahead of NCN and Cutting though, was Cutting in the 8?