• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australia's test side for the Ashes in Australia

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Cosgrove is a class above Bailey and has allegedly lost 16 kgs since last year
Granted I didn't have a scale with me but there is no ****ing way he lost 16 kilos.

Realistically Cosgrove is far off the plans I think. He should be closeer I feel but it would be a major shock to see him in contention.

Tangles

International Vice-Captain
If they pick the best match , whoever that is, with no form then that's asking for trouble unless you guarantee them 5 tests. Even then there will be mass debate about what the guy has to do to maintain that spot.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
If they pick the best match , whoever that is, with no form then that's asking for trouble unless you guarantee them 5 tests. Even then there will be mass debate about what the guy has to do to maintain that spot.
It's about identifying a few guys who are suited to fill the position about now, and then assessing their form before the series and making the decision then.

As for how to hold a spot in the team - it should be more lenient on guys who are thought to be long-term prospects than those who are simply filling gaps and could well be cast aside soon

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Granted I didn't have a scale with me but there is no ****ing way he lost 16 kilos.

Realistically Cosgrove is far off the plans I think. He should be closeer I feel but it would be a major shock to see him in contention.
I reckon he could have done but problem is that he was coming off such a high base that he has gone from obese to ****ing fat for a sportsman

adub

International Captain
Cosgrove is a class above Bailey and has allegedly lost 16 kgs since last year
There was a ****ing eclipse everytime the fat **** waddled past at Bankstown. If he lost 16 kegs he found em again.

Not saying that should keep him out of the side if he's making more runs than other skinnier ****s, but he actually looked bigger than last year to me seeing him live.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Granted I didn't have a scale with me but there is no ****ing way he lost 16 kilos. Realistically Cosgrove is far off the plans I think. He should be closeer I feel but it would be a major shock to see him in contention.
He's that fat that you can't tell he's lost 16kgs.

the big bambino

International Captain
Don't know if he's been mentioned here. He hasn't been mentioned as a contender by the press but what do people think of Cameron White selected as a batsman? I can hear the derision already but he looks powerful, poised and as good as he'll ever be. In our current state can we afford to overlook him? I'm all for a White for Australia policy and I'd bat him at 4 or 5. Prefer Clarke at 5 so White at 4.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Don't know if he's been mentioned here. He hasn't been mentioned as a contender by the press but what do people think of Cameron White selected as a batsman? I can hear the derision already but he looks powerful, poised and as good as he'll ever be. In our current state can we afford to overlook him? I'm all for a White for Australia policy and I'd bat him at 4 or 5. Prefer Clarke at 5 so White at 4.
Why is this a thing?

Across the last three Shield seasons, White averages less than 30 and has made just the one ton. In the time he's also managed to go from being T20I captain and a key figure in the ODI side to being dropped from both those sides completely; he even had the give up the Victorian captaincy because he was going that bad. I was in favour of giving him a run in the Test side a few years back but his performances in the last three seasons have been absolutely terrible.

Tangles

International Vice-Captain
White is in good touch atm and people have noticed but he is scoring domestic 1 day runs and his SS record is poor. Guess people are hoping for another Hussey to give the younger guys some time.

the big bambino

International Captain
Why is this a thing?

Across the last three Shield seasons, White averages less than 30 and has made just the one ton. In the time he's also managed to go from being T20I captain and a key figure in the ODI side to being dropped from both those sides completely; he even had the give up the Victorian captaincy because he was going that bad. I was in favour of giving him a run in the Test side a few years back but his performances in the last three seasons have been absolutely terrible.
Hmmm. It looks alot better when you replace the qualifier Shield with first class. Then the average is in the mid 30s for 2 of those seasons. Not fantastic but then neither have been the pitches. He has a FC ave of 40 which isn't bad for someone who is transitioning from AR to batsman. I like the way he's guided his team's innings under pressure on crappy decks at the Ryobi. He's always had talent and just looks like he's finally got the confidence to exploit it.

I think he's a better player now than the one who was forced to give up the captaincy and don't think that relevant to his chances now.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Isn't Cameron White just a poor man George Bailey though? White is just doing what Bailey is doing but Bailey is doing it at a higher level.

the big bambino

International Captain
Didn't rate Bailey at all but he does look good atm so yeah I think he's a shot too. Probably help team balance to have a lefty at no.4...:innocent:

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Who do you think England would be least happiest seeing? I think it would have to be Bailey despite his poor first class season last year.

GEM have confirmed they are showing the Australia A match Nov 6-9 and the Test team is being announced on Nov 12. So a big showing in that match could be crucial.

Who are the selectors likely to pick for A game? I'm thinking our top 6 will comprise of Hughes, Finch (lol), Khawaja, Marsh, Maddinson and Bailey. Our pace attack will include Johnson, Coulter-Nile and Hazlewood and our spinner will be either Holland or Fawad. That isn't my team, it is just what I think we will see.

EDIT - Wade will be the 'keeper'

Last edited: