• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australia's test side for the Ashes in Australia

BoyBrumby

Englishman
To be honest, after getting mauled by Bhajji and Ashwin I'd be very reluctant to throw him to Swann.

Personally I think Hughes needs a full season's grace on home pitches at a designated position (ideally 6). He hasn't had one sine 2009-10 and we've invested too much in him to brush him off now.
Your selectors' handling of him has been a very third way, neither flesh nor fowl approach.

They seem reluctant to either **** him off altogether or give him a decent run in a properly defined role, so he's subjected to what seems like dozens of axings, recalls & shifts to seemingly random top order slots.

I'm still far from convinced his technique will stand up to scrutiny at the highest level, but the handling of him has been very Ramprakashesque.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
Your selectors' handling of him has been a very third way, neither flesh nor fowl approach.

They seem reluctant to either **** him off altogether or give him a decent run in a properly defined role, so he's subjected to what seems like dozens of axings, recalls & shifts to seemingly random top order slots.

I'm still far from convinced his technique will stand up to scrutiny at the highest level, but the handling of him has been very Ramprakashesque.
tbh I think he is a very good ODI batsman, and for now that's how he should stay in the national set-up, but he is one of our best batting prospects, he has an excellent ability to score big, and this should be harnessed at some point in the test team. But for now, he needs to find his role, and that is up to him, then perfect it in FC cricket (both SS and CC if possible) and then in a couple of years he should be ready.

The Battlers Prince

International Vice-Captain
The back up batsmen (I don't like making test selections from short form cricket) going off this Ryobi cup stuff. Cam White, Rob Quiney, and after today Hartley and Reardon starting well

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
Hartley and Nevill should be the ones gunning for a back-up keeper slot, but I don't think we can talk too much before the SS starts

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Yeah, what? Not sure what relevance a game from almost 10 years ago with all of about five players still around today has anything to do with anything.
Especially since his point seems to be that NSW got hammered, despite the fact that they only lost by 37 runs in a completely contrived match. NSW declared their first innings 222 runs behind at 4 down ffs.

He could've picked so, so many more apt games to support his point. So random.