Thread: Australia's test side for the Ashes in Australia

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Furball's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Spark View Post
    Aus tours to SA are notoriously unpredictable tbf
    I'd say the opposite.
    ​63*

The artist formerly known as Monk Red Hill's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    Well Doolan is three years older than Hughes and Burns is less than a year younger so I don't really quite get that.

Not that I think Australia should be selecting based on age anyway.
    I don't think we should select based on age either, but it might as well be a factor if all other things are equally ****e.

I'm not a fan of Hughes unless he opens. Even then I'm not a big fan. I can only see a spot for Hughes if Warner isn't playing. I'd much prefer Warner to Hughes.

If Maddinson continues to pile up runs early in the season, then he should be in the team as he is our best young batsman and hasn't been scarred by losses against England

First test I'd like to see a top order of:

Watson
    Rogers
    Warner
    Hughes
    Clarke
    Smith

Quote Originally Posted by Ruckus View Post
    First test I'd like to see a top order of:

Watson
    Rogers
    Warner
    Hughes
    Clarke
    Smith
    Not sure why Watson would be anything other than 3 given what's just happened, Warner will probably be more comfortable opening in Australia too. For me, Clarke and Smith stay up and 4 and 5, while umber six goes to whoever is piling it on in the SS, that could be Hughes, but whoever it is bats 6, we can't throw another young batsman straight into the top order again IMO.
    RIP Phillip Hughes (1988-2014)

cant believe maddinson is being talked up after what 2 innings or so. couldnt buy a run all last season
    Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    I just love all kinds of balls.

Quote Originally Posted by Maximas View Post
    Not sure why Watson would be anything other than 3 given what's just happened, Warner will probably be more comfortable opening in Australia too. For me, Clarke and Smith stay up and 4 and 5, while umber six goes to whoever is piling it on in the SS, that could be Hughes, but whoever it is bats 6, we can't throw another young batsman straight into the top order again IMO.
    I just think Watson is better suited as an opener. Whether he scores more runs now shouldn't be dependent on whether he is opening or at 3 - he more often than not sees of the new ball anyway, but his problem has obv been making big scores. So hopefully he has turned a corner in that regard. I think Warner at 3 is a better fit at this stage. I like having a right/left combo opening, plus I feel we could get more out of him coming in against a slightly older ball, where he would be less likely to nick off playing his shots. I don't see why someone like Hughes couldn't be a 4 - it's really the ideal spot for him. Protected as much as he can against the new ball, whilst not having to face spin that early either (not that it's going to be much of an issue in Aus though).

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by social View Post
    If Maddinson continues to pile up runs early in the season, then he should be in the team as he is our best young batsman and hasn't been scarred by losses against England
    Nic Maddinson hasn't done his chances any harm with his recent performances in South Africa. He would appear to be next cab off the rank of the young batsmen, and I'd like to see Maddinson come into the line-up as high in the batting order as possible. But for now Warner, Rogers and Watson are locks, and Clarke now seems happy at 4 after preferring lower slots for a while.
    Last edited by Hooksey; 27-08-2013 at 06:16 AM.

School Boy/Girl Cricketer Bushranger's Avatar
    On the Bouncy wickets with the ball coming on to the bat.

1. Warner
    2. Rogers
    3. Watson
    4. Clarke
    5. Maddinson
    6. Smith
    7. Haddin
    8. Harris (if Healthy)
    9. Pattinson (if Healthy
    10. Siddle
    11. Lyon

12. Starc (fist man in for either Harris or Pattinson)
    13. Cummins
    14. Cosgrove
    15. Hughes
    16. Ahmed
    17. Maxwell

Cummins is out for the season.
    ~ Cribbertarian ~

Rejecting 'analysis by checklist' and 'skill absolutism' since Dec '09

Quote Originally Posted by John Singleton
    Recognition of Property Rights in material objects is the recognition of a manís right to exist; his right to pursue his own goals in his own manner at his own discretion with what is rightfully his to command. Just as the Right to Life is the right to the property of oneís own person, so the right to own material products is the right to sustain oneís life and to keep the results of oneís own efforts.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Spikey's Avatar
    and he's no copeland or sandhu anyway
    Indians can't bowl - Where has the rumour come from as I myself and many indian friends arwe competent fast bowlers ?

With the English bid I said: Let us be brief. If you give back the Falkland Islands, which belong to us, you will get my vote. They then became sad and left

Quote Originally Posted by Bushranger View Post

1. Warner
    2. Rogers
    3. Watson
    4. Clarke
    5. Maddinson
    6. Smith
    7. Haddin
    8. Harris (if Healthy)
    9. Pattinson (if Healthy
    10. Siddle
    11. Lyon

13. Cummins
    14. Cosgrove
    15. Hughes
    16. Ahmed
    17. Maxwell
    Mate, 2 things
    1. Maxwell is useless
    2. Aaron Finch is Australia's premiere long form spin-bowling all-rounder

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Bushranger View Post

1. Warner
    2. Rogers
    3. Watson
    4. Clarke
    5. Maddinson
    6. Smith
    7. Haddin
    8. Harris (if Healthy)
    9. Pattinson (if Healthy
    10. Siddle
    11. Lyon

13. Cummins
    14. Cosgrove
    15. Hughes
    16. Ahmed
    17. Maxwell
    I see things very much as you do here. Our only difference is Starc or Pattinson, and on reflection I'd take a fit and firing Pattinson over Starc, and Cummins is broken again.
    Last edited by Hooksey; 28-08-2013 at 05:01 AM.

Banned
    We are very light on for young batsmen kicking the door down for what appears to be the vacant position in our batting order. The players listed below scored more than 300 runs in the Shield competition last season, and are listed in order of batting average:

Moises Henriques - 385 runs at 77.0 - 26 year old allrounder - Has played 6 Tests and his bowling in particular has fallen short of the mark.
    Ricky Ponting - 911 runs at 75.91 - Well and truly retired. No more 'bring back Ricky' please!
    Jordan Silk - 347 runs at 57.83 - 21 year old in his first season.
    Phil Hughes - 673 runs at 56.08 - On tour and perhaps now out of Boof's plans?
    Brad Haddin - 462 runs at 52.00 - Recalled to the team, but nearly 36 years old.
    Chris Rogers - 742 runs at 49.46 - In the team and top of his form but he's nearly 36 years old.
    Alex Doolan - 715 runs at 42.05 - 27 years old and approaching his 6th season. Has only 5 first class 100's and average of 37.85.
    Callum Ferguson - 639 runs at 39.93 - Nearly 29 years old and approaching his 10th season. Has only 8 first class 100's and average of 36.05.
    Usman Khawaja - 438 runs at 39.81 - Performed poorly on tour and out of Boof's plans by the look of things.
    Mark Cosgrove - 784 runs at 39.20 - 29 years old and an overweight enigma. Could Boof create a Test player out of him?

Further down the averages are players such as:
    Ben Cutting - 26 year old allrounder who doesn't average much with the bat.
    Mike Hussey - retired.
    Cameron White - forget it.
    Michael Hogan - 32 years old.
    Nic Mattinson - 21 year old coming into his 4th season - see further comments below.
    Trent Copeland - 27 year old bowling allrounder with first class batting average of 22. Has played 3 Tests.
    James Faulkner - 23 year old allrounder who make a fairly impressive test debut but may get squeezed out in the home series.
    Joe Burns - 587 runs at 32.62 - Nearly 24 year old averages just under 40 in first class matches with 5 first class100's.

In summary, if a guy like Nic Mattinson were to start the season with a couple of 100's, particularly after his successful tour of South Africa where he scored 3 half centuries and a 41 in his 5 innings, he'd be knocking on the door for a Test debut. Glen Maxwell is also one of the few putting up his hand after the South African tour having scored 2 big 100's and a 93.

In short the welcome mat for a Test debut is out for any batsmen showing early season form.
    Last edited by Hooksey; 28-08-2013 at 05:49 AM.

I think Michael Hogan being 32 is the least of his problems if you are talking about him as a batsman, worlds best no.11 batsman only I'm afraid

Page 10 of 47 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread Information