• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Fourth Test at Chester-le-Street

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Granted it's at the complete opposite end of the cricketing spectrum but the pitches Durham have prepared for the T20 Cup have been absolute rubbish, which worries me because I don't know how easy it would be to prepare a different pitch on a square of slow, low pieces of ****.

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
Bairstow fails again and it could leave it open to playing Stokes and Panesar at the oval. Stokes is still pretty raw but he's definitely the long term no.6 imo. Won't happen as Stokes still a little too inconsistent but it would give a nice balance to the team on a flat, slow one at the oval.

Arachnodouche

International Captain
I read an article by Ashley Mallet who said Agar looked a better bowler than Lyon in the pre-Ashes nets up at the centre of excellence. Also, throughout the A tour and other tour games, Agar probably had the edge on Lyon, mainly cos he bats but he matched him with the ball at least. Agar was also very good in the SS, while Lyon was **** in the SS games he played. There was some merit to the selection (not that it should have happened) beyond hope and praying.
Mallett sounds like a biiiit of a blowhard to me every time he talks about how he taught someone some special technique tweak.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
Mallett sounds like a biiiit of a blowhard to me every time he talks about how he taught someone some special technique tweak.
he's just proud of the square spinner, which is actually a good ball to bowl, he knows a lot about spin bowling technique though, and he is generally considered one of the wisest heads around in terms of finger spinners, probably the finest in Australia.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
but anyway, if a 19yo really does have that ability that's even more reason to not **** up his development by picking him when the incumbent has done nothing wrong and then having to backtrack.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
IIRC Mallett really liked Jeetan Patel
Really? WTF, then again, he has also said he likes Randiv, they guy might be a tad delusional, he has been quite critical of Lyon for bowling flat and without subtle variation for the last year as well though.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
to be fair, Patel has a nice action. He's just never, ever played test cricket on a pitch even slightly conducive to spin bowling.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Pretty keen on Taylor having a second shot at this. It's interesting how so many teams struggle to find a useful #6. Most right now would kill for a Laxman or Collingwood, while others need someone like Flintoff.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
I know nothing, but I heard Bumble saying it would be a result pitch that would assist the quicks, of all the pitches people seem to think this will be the least Swann doctored
Well Onions cleans up in the Championship matches there, and it's renowned for favouring the quicks. The issue is that it's their first real major test match, so they're pretty likely to do anything they can to get five days of tickets in. The fact that England will win the series with a draw would only boost the incentive.

I'd be surprised if it favoured Swann much though. I dunno know.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
to be fair, Patel has a nice action. He's just never, ever played test cricket on a pitch even slightly conducive to spin bowling.
What about the India tests last year? Ashwin took 12 wickets in one of those games and they turned from pretty much day one. I just don't think he's test standard.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
What about the India tests last year? Ashwin took 12 wickets in one of those games and they turned from pretty much day one. I just don't think he's test standard.
in the game you're talking about Patel took 4-100 in the first innings, and India didn't bat in the second innings for obvious reasons.

Not saying he's a world beater but he's had a history of being selected at the absolute worst moments. Roady Mcroad Napier, random tests in South Africa etc spring to mind.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Well Onions cleans up in the Championship matches there, and it's renowned for favouring the quicks. The issue is that it's their first real major test match, so they're pretty likely to do anything they can to get five days of tickets in. The fact that England will win the series with a draw would only boost the incentive.

I'd be surprised if it favoured Swann much though. I dunno know.
Going with Old Trafford's minimum price of £60 along with Chester-le-Street's 19,000 capacity (IIRC), there's £1.2m of revenue at stake for every day's play.

There's no chance it'll be a normal Championship wicket.

LegionOfBrad

International Debutant
Pretty keen on Taylor having a second shot at this. It's interesting how so many teams struggle to find a useful #6. Most right now would kill for a Laxman or Collingwood, while others need someone like Flintoff.
He will get his chance. I would hope at least at the Oval as he's already been released from the squad for Durham so that he's had a game before we go down under.

Bairstow will play lots of tests but he really isn't good enough at the moment. I noticed that Michael Vaughan was suggesting he just needs more time. Which is not something he was suggesting when certain other players were struggling for form. His 95 against the Saffa's was a year ago and since then his two scores of note where a 67 where he was bowled off a no ball and smacking beleaguered Kiwi attack when trying to set up a declaration.

He should go back. Work on his game and not be considered until he's had some time playing and Taylor and Ballance have been given go.

Johann

School Boy/Girl Captain
Don't really expect any personnel changes from either team. Possibly Onions in for one of the quicks, possibly Bresnan (quite unfairly)

I think Warner might be moved to open with Watson playing at 6 (where he should have been playing all along)

Johann

School Boy/Girl Captain
He will get his chance. I would hope at least at the Oval as he's already been released from the squad for Durham so that he's had a game before we go down under.

Bairstow will play lots of tests but he really isn't good enough at the moment. I noticed that Michael Vaughan was suggesting he just needs more time. Which is not something he was suggesting when certain other players were struggling for form. His 95 against the Saffa's was a year ago and since then his two scores of note where a 67 where he was bowled off a no ball and smacking beleaguered Kiwi attack when trying to set up a declaration.

He should go back. Work on his game and not be considered until he's had some time playing and Taylor and Ballance have been given go.
Bairstow is far from the finished article but neither are Taylor and Ballance and we need to be careful about assuming that people not in the side will automatically do better. Neither Taylor or Ballance are banging the door down and neither quite deserve theit chance over Bairstow, yet...

Stokes is the one that I think everyone is hoping starts stepping up a bit though - England are in desperate need of someone who can lighten the load on the bowling attack, as well as batting in the top 6

LegionOfBrad

International Debutant
Bairstow is far from the finished article but neither are Taylor and Ballance and we need to be careful about assuming that people not in the side will automatically do better. Neither Taylor or Ballance are banging the door down and neither quite deserve theit chance over Bairstow, yet...

Stokes is the one that I think everyone is hoping starts stepping up a bit though - England are in desperate need of someone who can lighten the load on the bowling attack, as well as batting in the top 6
Ben Stokes will only make it to the England team on bowling. Certainly not as a number 6. His bowling is improving and his batting is falling away. Unless there is a change in Captain and Coach they won't be playing an allrounder at 6 (unless there is someone who can be seen to average 45 with the bat)

As for Bairstow. I can't really see Taylor not averaging 30 with the bat after 11 tests. I also don't see him getting bowled as much.

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
i'd rather drop watson than send him back down to a position that he wont accept and hear him complain about how he wasnt given a fair go at reestablishing himself as opener

The Battlers Prince

International Vice-Captain
Nah, media **** Watson going down the order, he'll be ok. I think he's got plenty of game. His bowling isn't lucky stuff, it's classy. His batting is flawed, but he's going to do well these next 6 months. He's been too focussed on things other than hitting the ball. He'll be ok in my team down at 4/6.

Johann

School Boy/Girl Captain
Ben Stokes will only make it to the England team on bowling. Certainly not as a number 6. His bowling is improving and his batting is falling away. Unless there is a change in Captain and Coach they won't be playing an allrounder at 6 (unless there is someone who can be seen to average 45 with the bat)

As for Bairstow. I can't really see Taylor not averaging 30 with the bat after 11 tests. I also don't see him getting bowled as much.
Yeah his form with that bat has been very poor this season and I'm not suggesting he's close to a callup at the moment. More hoping that he might start turning things around, sooner rather than later, cos this team is crying out for a batting all-rounder

Taylor has his own technical issues though, same as Bairstow does. I don't think either of them are ready-built test number 6's at this point in time and the jury is still very much out as to whether either of them will ever nail down a spot in this team