• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Fourth Test at Chester-le-Street

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
Because of his action, Swann is ten times the bowler when he goes around the wicket. This is a big part of why he's so much better to lefties but he's much better around the wicket to right handers as well. This means that either the footmarks aren't going to be a factor at all for him or - as we've seen throughout his career - they entice him into bowling over the wicket to get the most out of them for little to no overall gain in effectiveness, or even sometimes at an overall loss.

That said, Lyon bowls a little too straight to really take full advantage of footmarks either IMO but they definitely help him more than they help Swann. And that's before we even touch on the fact that the difference in spin the two bowlers get is greater off the normal part of the pitch than it is out of the footmarks; they negate the spin advantage.
Disagree, what about Headingley against NZ? Won the game bowling into Boult/Wagner's footmarks,

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
You see the ball come from the edge but you don't see if anyone's caught it, the camera doesn't move. You just have to wait for the celebration.
Ah okay. I haven't really noticed, but I'm sure you are right.

Things are so much better when KP comes to the crease.

Tangles

International Vice-Captain
Gonna be some fun with KP and Lyon. Better than watching the openers bore us to death.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
This is a really weird response to a post built entirely on a technical argument.
Well I'm not hugely concerned about technical arguments when Swanny has actually gone and done what PEWS/Benchy say he isn't particularly good at doing, I honestly couldn't see Lyon doing anything like that.

EDIT: but yes, I suppose I didn't particularly respond to his points

dermo

International Vice-Captain
Camera didn't move to Short Leg, so you couldn't actually see the catch. Can't say I've ever noticed it being an issue before he made the point...
yeah **** you m00phey now I'm going to notice it everytime

Spark

Global Moderator
Well I'm not hugely concerned about technical arguments when Swanny has actually gone and done what PEWS/Benchy say he isn't particularly good at doing, I honestly couldn't see Lyon doing anything like that.

EDIT: but yes, I suppose I didn't particularly respond to his points
So basically you're mounting a scoreboard argument.