• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Fourth Test at Chester-le-Street

LegionOfBrad

International Debutant
My thoughts on Root remain the same as they were before the series. I'd prefer him at 6. With the way he plays with a small stride forward and an angled bat, I think he could really struggle in Australia on faster and bouncier pitches. I could certainly envision Aussie slip fielders drawling if he opens at the WACA later this year. Every innings he's had this series, he's given a chance in the first couple of hours he's been at the crease. I'm not going to come up with some FCA or say his 180 shouldn't count because Haddin and Watson couldn't be ****ed to move. But it was pretty startling how much better he looked once he got set that innings. Obviously that happens to everyone bar Shane Watson, but once the ball got old he looked like he could score tons of runs, but every time he's started against a new nut he looks like he'll struggle to get 30.

I think it's pretty safe to say that Root's output isn't going to be as high as it would be at six if he keeps opening for now, which annoys me because they did it to get Bairstow in, who's had just one fifty this series with his own life in it. I just didn't see the need to bring him up to open as quickly as they did. He's 22 FFS, he could've had another year opening and still had a ten year opening career. They were too keen to get their future combination going and it's compromised the sides returns. Bad state to get themselves in as well because it would seem counterintuitive to go back on their decision.
Never agreed with something more. They won't change it though. Barring Bairstow probably being dropped in the winter.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
They're a real throw back, aren't they. England will be the happier of the two sides, but they both know that there could easily be a batch of wickets after the break.
Yep exactly, that's the problem when you don't hurt the opposition, they can get you back quickly and you have little to show for the grind. Will look better if England end up 4-260 by the end of the day though

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
My thoughts on Root remain the same as they were before the series. I'd prefer him at 6. With the way he plays with a small stride forward and an angled bat, I think he could really struggle in Australia on faster and bouncier pitches. I could certainly envision Aussie slip fielders drawling if he opens at the WACA later this year. Every innings he's had this series, he's given a chance in the first couple of hours he's been at the crease. I'm not going to come up with some FCA or say his 180 shouldn't count because Haddin and Watson couldn't be ****ed to move. But it was pretty startling how much better he looked once he got set that innings. Obviously that happens to everyone bar Shane Watson, but once the ball got old he looked like he could score tons of runs, but every time he's started against a new nut he looks like he'll struggle to get 30.

I think it's pretty safe to say that Root's output isn't going to be as high as it would be at six if he keeps opening for now, which annoys me because they did it to get Bairstow in, who's had just one fifty this series with his own life in it. I just didn't see the need to bring him up to open as quickly as they did. He's 22 FFS, he could've had another year opening and still had a ten year opening career. They were too keen to get their future combination going and it's compromised the sides returns. Bad state to get themselves in as well because it would seem counterintuitive to go back on their decision.
Yeah I completely agree. Root's opening just because he always has and not because he's technically suited to it; he absolutely looks like a middle order bat opening when he's out there. He's temperamentally well suited to opening because of all his experience there and he knows he's much better against the older ball so he's just blunting the opening spells in hope of getting through it and then building an innings. it'd definitely be fair enough if England's five best batsmen excluding him were all middle order players but they're not. He's going to be more productive at six than he is opening at this stage, and I also think Compton would be more productive opening than Bairstow is at six currently as well. That's two reasons to drop him down the order.

It's clearly not going to happen though.

Woodster

International Captain
My thoughts on Root remain the same as they were before the series. I'd prefer him at 6. With the way he plays with a small stride forward and an angled bat, I think he could really struggle in Australia on faster and bouncier pitches. I could certainly envision Aussie slip fielders drawling if he opens at the WACA later this year. Every innings he's had this series, he's given a chance in the first couple of hours he's been at the crease. I'm not going to come up with some FCA or say his 180 shouldn't count because Haddin and Watson couldn't be ****ed to move. But it was pretty startling how much better he looked once he got set that innings. Obviously that happens to everyone bar Shane Watson, but once the ball got old he looked like he could score tons of runs, but every time he's started against a new nut he looks like he'll struggle to get 30. Just like he looked much better against New Zealand than he has so far this series.

I think it's pretty safe to say that Root's output isn't going to be as high as it would be at six if he keeps opening for now, which annoys me because they did it to get Bairstow in, who's had just one fifty this series with his own life in it. I just didn't see the need to bring him up to open as quickly as they did. He's 22 FFS, he could've had another year six and still had a ten year opening career. They were too keen to get their future combination going and it's compromised the sides returns. Bad state to get themselves in as well because it would seem counterintuitive to go back on their decision.
It's interesting you think he'll struggle in Australia, I actually think he'll go pretty well there. He plays a lot off the back foot and that extra bit of bounce might enable to punch the ball through the offside with more fluency and is also one of his favourite shots. Seems equally adept on the hook or cut strokes. He also leaves the ball well and will be able to do so with more certainty on the bounce in Oz.

Whether he was moved up to open too soon I think can be viewed either way, and I respect your opinions on why he shouldn't have gone up to open. The alternative view is that he is an opener by trade so in starting the innings off with him it is returning him to a position which he is more familiar with and a position the management have clearly earmarked for him for years and years to come. So if they are certain he is going to be England's opener for a long time why waste time utilising his skills down at number six when he can learn to be an international opening batsman sooner rather than later. There is always going to be a transition period going from Test number six to opener whether that happens now or in 12 months time.

Openers can always go early on, but it's crucial once you're in, you go big. He did just that in his fourth innings as an opener at Lords despite any chances that could have been taken earlier in his innings. He seems to have an excellent temperament, is unflustered, like Cook, if he isn't scoring freely and is willing to work hard for his runs. He will in time have to ensure he doesn't get as stuck as frequently at the top, but this is a disciplined Aussie attack at the moment, as his experience at the top grows I'm sure his development in that role will too.

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
AUSTRALIAN coach Darren Lehmann claims Jackson Bird replaced Mitchell Starc for the fourth Test because the Chester-le-Street wicket will help seam bowlers rather than swing bowlers.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
AUSTRALIAN coach Darren Lehmann claims Jackson Bird replaced Mitchell Starc for the fourth Test because the Chester-le-Street wicket will help seam bowlers rather than swing bowlers.
Yeah that's why I was picking Bird too. Evidence so far suggests it's a load of crap though; the only movement so far has been in the air.

dermo

International Vice-Captain
Malcolm Conn ‏@malcolmconn 13s
#cricket #ashes word is that Bird is playing.

Nick Hoult ‏@NHoultCricket 1m
Rumour Anderson might not be playing and he's not taking part in warm ups at the moment. Onions on hand. team will be announced at toss
how the **** did you ****s let this pass without making a bird is the word joke

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
I'm still not unhappy with Starc not being selected, we all expect conditions to suit him and he should take a bag or whatever but he never delivers that

Top_Cat

I'm still not unhappy with Starc not being selected, we all expect conditions to suit him and he should take a bag or whatever but he never delivers that
Never? Seriously? Bloke's played 11 Tests and taken two bags of 5. One more and he's equal with the number Flintoff took in almost 100.

Burgey

I find the architectural dissonance between the castle in the background and the more modern buildings at the ground itself off-putting. The ground has been ruined.

Ooh, lucky **** Trott.