• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Fourth Test at Chester-le-Street

BeeGee

International Captain
What's the record for plays and misses outside off in one session by a left hander on day one of a test?

Last edited:

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I'm really finding that big blue crane behind the sight screen at one end has ruined this otherwise classic and traditional cricket ground with it's modernity.

benchmark00

Reckon Trott doesn't get enough credit for his driving. Compact but in tennis terms 'not a lot can go wrong with it'.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Agreed. So disappointing he's only managed 1 Test, big fan of Carbs. Cook, Carberry, Trott, Pietersen, Bell, Root and Prior looks pretty strong to me!
Indeed, I'm not normally a fan of talking about S-Rs in Test Matches, but TBH we do need one person who won't be utterly becalmed with decent bowling in the top three.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Definitely need as much facial hair in cricket as possible! Can't leave it all up to Amla
Well you should be pushing for Moeen Ali for England then, not a bad pick actually. Surprised he wasn't in the Lions team.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Indeed, I'm not normally a fan of talking about S-Rs in Test Matches, but TBH we do need one person who won't be utterly becalmed with decent bowling in the top three.
Who else is there? Genuine question, as I've pretty much lost touch due to the pig's ear of a domestic structure nowadays.

The Battlers Prince

International Vice-Captain
I find it hard to believe that England went that slow and Lyon didn't get a bowl. Sluggish stuff from Cook is when Lyon bowled his best at Old Trafford to Cook when he was scoring slowly.

flibbertyjibber

Good session for England. Not the most thrilling to watch but with two out of form players and a rookie what did we expect.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
My thoughts on Root remain the same as they were before the series. I'd prefer him at 6. With the way he plays with a small stride forward and an angled bat, I think he could really struggle in Australia on faster and bouncier pitches. I could certainly envision Aussie slip fielders drawling if he opens at the WACA later this year. Every innings he's had this series, he's given a chance in the first couple of hours he's been at the crease. I'm not going to come up with some FCA or say his 180 shouldn't count because Haddin and Watson couldn't be ****ed to move. But it was pretty startling how much better he looked once he got set that innings. Obviously that happens to everyone bar Shane Watson, but once the ball got old he looked like he could score tons of runs, but every time he's started against a new nut he looks like he'll struggle to get 30. Just like he looked much better against New Zealand than he has so far this series.

I think it's pretty safe to say that Root's output isn't going to be as high as it would be at six if he keeps opening for now, which annoys me because they did it to get Bairstow in, who's had just one fifty this series with his own life in it. I just didn't see the need to bring him up to open as quickly as they did. He's 22 FFS, he could've had another year six and still had a ten year opening career. They were too keen to get their future combination going and it's compromised the sides returns. Bad state to get themselves in as well because it would seem counterintuitive to go back on their decision.

Last edited:

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
good session from both teams, the English top 3 as good to watch as ever
They're a real throw back, aren't they. England will be the happier of the two sides, but they both know that there could easily be a batch of wickets after the break.