• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Fourth Test at Chester-le-Street

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Bird in for Lyon. Even though we might have five pace options getting Bird in for Lyon will allow us to rotate our pace attack while actually getting some wickets and keeping the run rate down.

Overrate might suffer though

Cooky Monster

U19 12th Man
Boycott and Vaughan were both saying Onions is a must ( took 9 for 100 odd the other day ) and if he doesn't play now he never will and should basically tell Flower and England to shove it and that he won't be carrying drinks all around Australia this winter (mainly Boycott saying that, unsuprisingly), got to admit i would be mighty peeved and slightly disillusioned with it all if i was Onions, especially the form hes been in when actually playing and not wasting away on the sidelines, must be so frustrating watching Finn and Broad bowl well below par and still not get in, Broad is so lucky he scores runs

He seems to be the 1st in line if anything happens to Anderson though and not Broad or Finn/Bresnan (maybe Bresnan), i really do think Anderson needs a rest, he looks like hes shot his bolt but its a big risk to do it.

Bairstow should go and Taylor come in, thing with Bairstow and our other out of form batsmen is that the others have proved they are test class batters unlike Bairstow, im not having it about that 1 solitary match against SA, how long can that excuse reeled out for, at this rate he'll get to 20 tests averaging low 30s and people will still be harping back to that test as though it means something, its bull****, it means nothing anymore, he has to go now really but he will get another go at Durham no doubt.

Apart from Bell and maybe KP all our other batsmens form is very worrying, Root still doesn't convince opening although il'd bet on him to make it rather than not but its close, much rather have Root at 6 with Compton opening at this moment in time, overall England have been average at best, 6/10 tops so far in this series, pretty crazy were 2-0 up having already retained the Ashes really.

Last edited:

The Battlers Prince

International Vice-Captain
Why not.

Bird in for Srac would be the only change I'd make on either side.
Bird definitely has to play, but I think Starc out bowled Lyon, so Lyon and Agar can practise together for a few weeks ready for the Oval, as at the moment, neither are better than a part time option like Smith or Clarke.

That also gives 4 quicks, without Watson, who as a bowler has been exceptionally tight, which has been a good thing to have sometimes, but he obviously needs to pick up his batting. I actually think that Watson will improve his batting after going out in the last innings with no pressure, I think he's going to score a decent knock next test.
So Lyon out and Bird in. So now you can all tell me how crazy/stupid that is, but you know what, it isn't, don't be in denial! :ph34r:

Swingpanzee

International Regular
I'd be more in favour of giving Jimmy a rest if I was to get Onions in tbh.

Probably in the minority there though...
I'd probably rest Jimmy too; then we'll be likely to go with Broad, Onions and Bresnan. Sure change must be Taylor instead of Bairstow.

For Aussies it'll be Bird replacing Starc. Bird's bowling will suit the conditions to a tee.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
Bird in for Starc would be good, but that leaves us a good tailender short and without a proper swing bowler, but Durham seams a bit more?

Hopefully Khawaja isn't dropped as if seam movement is decent then he will be a really good bet, but Hughes might not have such a hard time against Swann, I would probably like to see the same line-up play, maybe rest Starceh for Bird though.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Lyon has to play imo. He needs all the experience he can get, especially if Australia are serious about playing him in the following series where they actually stand a chance of regaining the Ashes. Bird should get a go I guess, though I'm not sure whether it will be to rest Harris or to shove Starc out.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
Lyon absolutely has to play, they need to pick Watson for bowling as one of the fast bowlers will break down on short rest, giving us 4 seam options. Lyon has the ability to keep it tight and can take wickets on pitches that don't suit him (Brisbane), can also be handy to clean up the tail

Spark

Global Moderator
I didn't. I thought they blocked him with ease and wacked him into the stand when they fancied it.
This was mostly KP and Bell. Root in particular looked seriously ill at ease against the bounce he was getting.

Personally would keep the same team if at all possible, simply for the sake of keeping the same ****ing team for once.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Boycott and Vaughan were both saying Onions is a must ( took 9 for 100 odd the other day ) and if he doesn't play now he never will and should basically tell Flower and England to shove it and that he won't be carrying drinks all around Australia this winter (mainly Boycott saying that, unsuprisingly), got to admit i would be mighty peeved and slightly disillusioned with it all if i was Onions, especially the form hes been in when actually playing and not wasting away on the sidelines, must be so frustrating watching Finn and Broad bowl well below par and still not get in, Broad is so lucky he scores runs

He seems to be the 1st in line if anything happens to Anderson though and not Broad or Finn/Bresnan (maybe Bresnan), i really do think Anderson needs a rest, he looks like hes shot his bolt but its a big risk to do it.

Bairstow should go and Taylor come in, thing with Bairstow and our other out of form batsmen is that the others have proved they are test class batters unlike Bairstow, im not having it about that 1 solitary match against SA, how long can that excuse reeled out for, at this rate he'll get to 20 tests averaging low 30s and people will still be harping back to that test as though it means something, its bull****, it means nothing anymore, he has to go now really but he will get another go at Durham no doubt.

Apart from Bell and maybe KP all our other batsmens form is very worrying, Root still doesn't convince opening although il'd bet on him to make it rather than not but its close, much rather have Root at 6 with Compton opening at this moment in time, overall England have been average at best, 6/10 tops so far in this series, pretty crazy were 2-0 up having already retained the Ashes really.
Good post, and agree with nearly all of it.

Only thing I'd contest (but maybe I've got my rose tinted glasses on again) Is I actually think Broad has bowled pretty well this series on the whole but without success.

Agree with you that I think Jimmy is ****ed and should get a rest before the end of this series. Maybe see if we win in Durham and if we do sit him out at the Oval.........he'd better take no part in the ****s and giggles after the test series!! Sadly I think only with Jimmy being rested will Onions get a crack........Bressy's bowling well and they aren't gonna drop Broad........Finns really at the bottom of the pecking order now.

Also agree that I'm still not convinced in Root as an opener, would much prefer to have Compo there and Root at 6, but I can also understand them sticking with it as it's a long term plan.

Our batsmen's form is indeed a major concern and if our top order doesn't sort itself out we will be handing the Ashes back after the return leg in Oz.........this would totally suck balls.

King Pietersen

International Captain
I honestly believe that our best bowling attack is Anderson, Tremlett, Onions and Swann, but the chances of seeing them 4 together during these 10 Tests is very slim. I like Broad and Bresnan, Bres has really impressed me in this series, but Tremlett is a handful for any batsman, and Onions is in fantastic form, and a guy I've always rated. I'd love to see those 4 line up as our bowling unit, but I think it's pretty unlikely at this stage.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
I honestly believe that our best bowling attack is Anderson, Tremlett, Onions and Swann, but the chances of seeing them 4 together during these 10 Tests is very slim. I like Broad and Bresnan, Bres has really impressed me in this series, but Tremlett is a handful for any batsman, and Onions is in fantastic form, and a guy I've always rated. I'd love to see those 4 line up as our bowling unit, but I think it's pretty unlikely at this stage.
Having Tremlett and Onions in the same line-up could be trouble, you want at least three bowlers in the team who are experienced and have some test matches behind them (recently) whenever possible IMO.

Tangles

Bird in for Starc and Hughes for Watson. I know it won't happen but I can keep hoping. Ashes are gone so I'd be giving Hughes 2 games for development. Watson can gtfo.

Given the reputation of CLS as a seamers pitch I can totally see our selectors punting Lyon for Bird or Faulkner (**** no). Have a feeling Lyon gets dropped even if they don't. Which is rough since he's not the only spinner to take some tap from KP. Not his fault Clarke took him off too early and left him off for too long. I'm starting to wonder if he just expects more from his spinner than we have had available since Warne.

Last edited:

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Honestly don't see the point in playing Lyon. He's neither taking many wickets nor keeping it very tight. Thought he bowled way too short too often in the last test.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
I'll say it now and I'll say it again, if Lyon was bowling to the Australian line-up at OT, he'd have taken a five-for, he was unlucky at times as well, bowled very nicely I thought.

Tangles

The other options are limited. Agar who won't keep it tight or get wickets but can bat and SOK who can bat and keep it tight but isn't on tour and isn't liked by the NSP. So your left with Agar or another seamer which affects your balance and variety. They have backed Lyon this far do they might as well stick with him till another spinner dislodges him via SS performances.

Tangles

I'll say it now and I'll say it again, if Lyon was bowling to the Australian line-up at OT, he'd have taken a five-for, he was unlucky at times as well, bowled very nicely I thought.
Big improvement over Agar until KP went at him.

dermo

sok forever ahmed never

and agar forever in the future but not right now

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
They have backed Lyon this far do they might as well stick with him till another spinner dislodges him via SS performances.
You think? I reckon Lyon has been treated and handled like crap by the selectors.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
The other options are limited. Agar who won't keep it tight or get wickets but can bat and SOK who can bat and keep it tight but isn't on tour and isn't liked by the NSP. So your left with Agar or another seamer which affects your balance and variety. They have backed Lyon this far do they might as well stick with him till another spinner dislodges him via SS performances.
TBH Lyon had a really poor season in the SS IMO, arguably both Fawad and Agar outperformed him but during that time (after christmas) Lyon only played one game so it's hard to make a decent comparison. Lyon is our best option, he knows international cricket and other conditions well, he is probably the best performer we have now and no one is ready to step up and do any better.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
You think? I reckon Lyon has been treated and handled like crap by the selectors.
Before India they treated him pretty well, you can't really blame them after the Chennai test cos he was the only spinner and they expected better, but the Agar selection was unforgivable.