• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Third Test at Old Trafford

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Discussion around the Third Test at Old Trafford.

With David Warner currently 100 and plenty not out against South Africa A, he surely has to come in for Australia, whether it be at the top of the order, or in the middle order.

Meanwhile, England are dealing with the possibility of Kevin Pietersen missing the test through injury, and have loaned James Taylor to Sussex for the Australia game, which obviously implies he's inline for a recall. He's not who I would've gone in with, but I guess he deserves a go. Pretty much signals the end of Nick Compton's career though.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I can't see Compton getting called up but can see him going to Australia in the winter as a spare bat. Think Taylor has done enough this season to deserve another chance and with the series almost won it makes sense not to risk KP and give him an extra week or so to get it right before he returns for either the 4th or 5th test depending how long he is out.

As for Australia god knows what they do, we know Pattinson is out and that the batting is terrible and putting so much pressure on the bowlers but do they bring Warner back, try Lyon, pick Bird as Patto's replacement? So many questions and not much time to sort it out. This tour is very similar to many England had in the 90's with injuries and a poor team getting thrashed, I expect it to continue here and England to wrap the series up.

the big bambino

International Captain
Warner now 123* against a more than handy attack. Game there ends on the 27th and the test starts on the 1st. Not the best prep to fly him in quick and play so soon but our alternatives are?

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Warner now 123* against a more than handy attack. Game there ends on the 27th and the test starts on the 1st. Not the best prep to fly him in quick and play so soon but our alternatives are?
The best option would be for him to take no further part in the match after today's play.

MW1304

Cricketer Of The Year
How on ****ing earth is Morgan even close to being considered any where near the team? It's not just cricinfo, some of the Sky lot were throwing his name around as well.

Spark

Global Moderator
The best option would be for him to take no further part in the match after today's play.
Yeah I'd imagine he'll get enough of a hit in this innings. The TZ difference is immaterial, so the only issue is sitting on the plane for however long it takes to get from SA to Manchester.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
How on ****ing earth is Morgan even close to being considered any where near the team? It's not just cricinfo, some of the Sky lot were throwing his name around as well.
I found this more worrying

When Andrew Strauss retired, despite it being improbable that anyone other than Alastair Cook would get the top job, Stuart Broad, Ian Bell and Eoin Morgan were also interviewed.
Jarrod Kimber: While England plan, Australia dream | Cricket News | Australia in England - The Investec Ashes | ESPN Cricinfo

91Jmay

International Coach
I am a big James Taylor fan, the bottom handed thing doesn't bother me as long as he is watchful outside off stump. Think he is part of the future of our middle order.

Viscount Tom

International Debutant
Thnik 3 has been the most as far as I could think, maybe a fourth if Hampshire, Boycs and Old + someone else played a test together but even then Im doubtful.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Found this one, not sure if there have been any after, I like this one though, because it includes a Bairstow.

Oh and Hildreth not getting mentioned by Cricinfo is clearly a disgrace.

91Jmay

International Coach
Honestly not sure I could take the smugness of having 4 Yorkies in an England team - the way Alex Lees is going though its looking like almost a formality at some stage. Thakor is a big talent but isn't ready yet IMO. Both he and Lee's are two years away but could be fantastic players.