• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Third Test at Old Trafford

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
So who makes the decision?
Well obviously the umpire on the field, same system as now, but with trained geeks (for the want of a better word), to do the third ump bit. Is PEWS available, anything that keeps him off Crickweb is a good thing surely?

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Benchy IIRC one of the reasons you're not a fan of the DRS is that you think bad decisions a part of the game, and trying to get it into a science where every decision is write detracts from pub debates about umpiring etc. Well, wouldn't you say DRS has been successful in enhancing the amount of pub debate about decisions and what not :p

Edit: OK just read your last reply. If it's the time being used up then fair enough.

Last edited:

grecian

I don't get how people are saying DRS isn't at fault and its the third umpires..........the 3rd umpire is part of DRS FFS.

Would there be a single person watching that that thinks that was out?? How can this keep happening??

I said after the Smith catch off Bell in the last test that the DRS needs to be scrapped until they sort this **** out and got slammed for it...........I still believe it is rubbish and until we have got real time snicko and not brain dead ****wits in the 3rd umpire seat cricket is better off without it.

Pre DRS the onfield umpire gives one out like that, we all watch the replays and realise it's a shocker and move on. It is a 1000 times worse for the players and the fans like this.

I would be smashing my place to pieces if that had happened to England at such a crucial time.
In what parallel universe did that happen? It certainly wasn't this one. Blimey people are still crying about 2005 around here.

social

I don't get how people are saying DRS isn't at fault and its the third umpires..........the 3rd umpire is part of DRS FFS.

Would there be a single person watching that that thinks that was out?? How can this keep happening??

I said after the Smith catch off Bell in the last test that the DRS needs to be scrapped until they sort this **** out and got slammed for it...........I still believe it is rubbish and until we have got real time snicko and not brain dead ****wits in the 3rd umpire seat cricket is better off without it.

Pre DRS the onfield umpire gives one out like that, we all watch the replays and realise it's a shocker and move on. It is a 1000 times worse for the players and the fans like this.

I would be smashing my place to pieces if that had happened to England at such a crucial time.
Agreed

Tangles

International Vice-Captain
DRS is there for the shockers is what we keep hearing. Yet we keep getting shockers. Just different shockers.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Hotspot without snicko to back it up just doesn't work.

Clearly the umpires only accept it as positive confirmation of an edge. Lack of hotspot is not enough for them to judge no edge.

adub

International Captain
I've always been a DRS fan, but this series has turned me right off it. Might as well just let the umps make their howlers once without having to have em **** it up twice and waste an over's worth of play doing it.

Slow Love™

International Captain
That 3rd umpire decision was the worst thing I've ever seen, surpasses that ****** in 1986 (yes, I went there anyway).

the big bambino

International Captain
Yeah, that's not DRS at fault here. The tech was surely enough to overturn it. I'm stunned, that's unable to be explained in terms in which you're not asking some questions about the allegiances of the 3rd umpire.
I agree. The technology worked beautifully and showed all the evidence reqd to overturn the decn. As to the 3rd umpiring decns so far this series Hill has been suss but you just give him the benefit of the doubt. Dharma I'm not sure about and I'm speculating a little SL payback for the way we treated Murali. After all it still rankles with Lankans to the point of it being a national grudge.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
DRS is there for the shockers is what we keep hearing. Yet we keep getting shockers. Just different shockers.
We have less of them though.

A system doesn't have to produce no shockers to be better than the previous system, i.e. no DRS. It just has to produce less shockers.

The point about how long it takes and it detracting from the spectacle is entirely different. Not sure I agree, but at least it's a fair enough point. Saying that the DRS is no improvement decision-wise compared to just having on field umpires however just makes no sense to me.

Arachnodouche

International Captain
Not the system's fault but no point using it until you have off field umps of a certain quality. Dharmasena was annoying in his playing days and he's as big a **** as ever now.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
This series has been the worst imaginable for DRS. I sat on the fence with it for a long time but a few instances over the last couple of years turned me right off it.

Even though there was some shockers in the Eng/India series I actually found it really refreshing to be watching the game without this level of sheer incompetence,

I can live with on field umpires making bad decisions.........I cannot accept this ****....at all.

Biryani Pillow

U19 Vice-Captain
How people can sit there and think DRS enhances the cricket watching experience is beyond me.
The biggest supporters of DRS has always been the TV commentators IMO..

Unlike when I started watching cricket in the 1970s commentator today need to talk all the time (orders from their 'management') - so thay need something to talk about and DRS helps that.

The only benefit of today's incident was to set Warne off on major strop - which is always funny (wonder if he had as big a strop about Agar's stumping and Trott's LBW at Trent Bridge).

grecian

Slow Love™;3108456 said:
That 3rd umpire decision was the worst thing I've ever seen, surpasses that ****** in 1986 (yes, I went there anyway).
Blimey, welcome back, DRS is useful for something if it can bring Slow Love™ back:)

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
In what parallel universe did that happen? It certainly wasn't this one. Blimey people are still crying about 2005 around here.
Nah come on. I think it's pretty fair to say we wouldn't have been talking about it non stop for half an hour if there was no DRS. But that's because the on field decision wasn't as bad as the tv one.

I'm still a fan of DRS, and would always stress that it would've remained out without it, and I think more moaning is a pretty bad reason to not have it, but it's definitely true.

Last edited: