• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Third Test at Old Trafford

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
I think events in the last few months have really made people forget how successful Warner's first 14 months in test cricket were. He's probably Australia's second best batsman. Decent technique, and unlike some of his counterparts has the obvious ability to go on and play match winning innings. Also a bit rough to call the SA A attack, which features two players with 7 wicket hauls in tests, "some ****-weak attack".

I mean, he didn't not feature in the first two tests because he had been failing for a prolonged period. He missed the games because he'd had little to no match practice in the lead up and was in horrendous short term form. That's obviously been pretty much eradicated now, so there really is no reason why he shouldn't come back in.

Who for? I'm not so sure.

Last edited:

the big bambino

International Captain
I don't want Warner picked. So what he's scored runs against some ****-weak attack. Just stick with the players you've chosen. Make Warner really earn it. And pay for the absolute rubbish he's been as opener for a long time. I do want Lyon in though. Should never have been dropped.
Abbott, De Lange and Hendricks constitute a pretty decent attack. Great knock from Warner.

Spark

Global Moderator
I mean, at a risk of sounding like a complete bore because everyone's brought this up, you don't make the ton he did at Hobart without being able to seriously bat.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I mean, at a risk of sounding like a complete bore because everyone's brought this up, you don't make the ton he did at Hobart without being able to seriously bat.
Or slaughter Steyn & co at Adelaide

Or bludgeon India at Perth

Warner has his issues but he is a huge talent and, assuming that his head is right, I am finding it strange he is being shifted around to accommodate others that haven't been performing.

In any event, I really don't see why there is a desire to bat him at 6 as that might see him coming in against spin or reverse swing anyway when he is better off starting against pace

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Warner has his issues but he is a huge talent and, assuming that his head is right, I am finding it strange he is being shifted around to accommodate others that haven't been performing.
this.

Should be displacing Watson.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Who has scored the most runs with the willow (excluding agar), and been useful with the ball (if nothing else to tie up an end)?
Personally I'd still play Watson at 6. I don't understand why he was shifted back to opening when they didn't drop Cowan from the squad and also picked Rogers.

Warner's a proven opener, and they picked Rogers to do a job so he has to play.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Who has scored the most runs with the willow (excluding agar), and been useful with the ball (if nothing else to tie up an end)?
Whoopdedoo, he's scored 100 runs in 4 innings and taken 1 wicket in the series, can't believe Australia are considering dropping such a talent.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
This aside from the obvious invasive properties of the cancer in question leeching the will to live/runs from all those around him.

Because of his obvious girly properties, he's most analogous to a breast cancer and in this case, I'd characterise him as a Triple Negative tumour (can't can't bat, bowl or field). The TN sub-type requires much more aggressive therapy than others, owing to a much higher chance of a relapse. The downside is that the most effective treatments are usually neoadjuvant therapies so the team is probably stuck with him until he finally kills Clarke('s career).

Last edited:

Tangles

International Vice-Captain
I'm ok with Warner for Twatto but I don't want him at 6. Might as well open with him since its where he has scored runs. I personally would stick with Uzi, Prince and Smith. We haven't shown a lot of faith in our young bats recently and nows a good time to start. If one of them fails massively then we can debate his position in the lead up to Brisbane.

We're not wining in England so lets gets some development out of it. See if 1 or 2 of the above can step up.

King Pietersen

International Captain
Rogers
Warner
Watson
Hughes
Clarke *
Smith
Haddin +
Siddle
Harris
Lyon
Bird

That'd be the side I'd be going with if I was Australia. Watson could definitely bat 3. If the openers dig in and put together a good partnership, Twatto gets to come in once the ball has stopped hooping around, and gets to attack Swann. Also, if you lose an opener cheaply, Watson's ideal to come in early as he's opened regularly. Warner's such a talent that he just has to come back in, and considering he's done so well opening, it seems stupid dropping him to 4; but shouldn't be dropped for Rogers, as at some point, Rogers will make a big score in this series, he just needs to be given a fair run in the side. Then as far as the bowlers go, Starc looked awful in the first Test, so it's got to be time to give Bird a go, and then I'd consider replacing the injured Pattinson with Patrick Cummins. Don't think I'd give him a go in this series, unless there's injuries, but be good to get him back around the Test side.

However, being English I'd be happy if they go with:

Watson
Cowan
Khawaja
Clarke
Hughes
Haddin
Faulkner
Agar
Siddle
Starc
Lyon

Last edited:

Ruckus

International Captain
Think Warner should def bat at 3. The Watson/Rogers combo, whilst not being particularly productive, def isn't the most pressing concern in the side, and I think if there is any strength to Watson opening it is that he more often than not can see off the new ball. I like the right/left combo too. Warner can also capitalise on any starts provided by the openers without losing the momentum like Cowan or Khawaja have been. Think easily the most balanced top 6 we could have is:

Watson
Rogers
Warner
Hughes
Clarke
Smith

Khawaja unlucky, and I think he's probably gonna have more success than Smith ever will, but Smith being right handed, reasonable against spin and being able to bowl a little himself just fits the side a lot better atm. Think Hughes should stay too, mainly because he has shown he can make big scores if he gets in, and that's really what we desperately need.

91Jmay

International Coach
I fancy Australia to win this one. Clarke will score, Warner will score, the rest of the order will chip in and they will get 450-500. We will be rolled for 300 odd and they will win by 4 or 5 wickets on day 5.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
I fancy Australia to win this one. Clarke will score, Warner will score, the rest of the order will chip in and they will get 450-500. We will be rolled for 300 odd and they will win by 4 or 5 wickets on day 5.
LOL.......the natural English pessimism in all its glory!!:p

You should bung a few quid on that.....bet the odds will be very attractive.

England by an innings......foots on the throat and we are gonna keep it there. 4 players in the squad suffered in 06/07, I'll bet none of them let up until the job is done and done properly.

Valer

First Class Debutant
Whoopdedoo, he's scored 100 runs in 4 innings and taken 1 wicket in the series, can't believe Australia are considering dropping such a talent.
So I take it you either a) haven't watched his bowling or b) are being deliberately obtuse about his value in a lineup where certain bowlers have a tendency to break down when over bowled (Harris, Pattinson) and has had problems with maintaining pressure from large parts of the bowling lineup.

uvelocity

International Coach
LOL.......the natural English pessimism in all its glory!!:p

You should bung a few quid on that.....bet the odds will be very attractive.

England by an innings......foots on the throat and we are gonna keep it there. 4 players in the squad suffered in 06/07, I'll bet none of them let up until the job is done and done properly.
look adders if we do nothing else, it will be pleasant to send you to the nursing home still without seeing a pomwash

the big bambino

International Captain
Watson (Have every reason to drop him just don't have the alternative)
Cowan (Yes Rogers could stay and Watson go but Rogers and Cowan are too similar. Plus Watson bowls)
Khawaja
Warner
Clarke
Hughes
Haddin
Siddle
Harris
Bird
Lyon

Hope our batsmen score runs bcos there isn't any runs in that lower order. Apart from the batting Harris getting through 2 tests in a row is a worry. 2 played and 2 down we might have flamed Pattinson and Harris before 3 tests are completed.