• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Third Test at Old Trafford

Pizzorno

State Vice-Captain
Been awake since 4am watching Everton v Juventus in pre season, don't regret it one bit. Always so excited to watch an Old Trafford test although I think Australia will win this one, can see a bit of over confidence slipping into the England team throughout the 5 days. Either way, I have day 5 tickets so please...

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
I'm going to go against the grain here and say that if the pitch is as dry as everyone (other than MacGill) is saying, I actually would pick Starc over Bird. It's still close but I think Starc's ability to get reverse swing and to take the pitch out of the equation would count for more on a dry pitch than the fact that Bird seems to be bowling a little better at the moment. Not too fussed either way though.
Does Harris get reverse?

Pattinson certainly got the old ball doing a bit.

the big bambino

International Captain
Tbf about the Laker performance there are many anecdotes that the pitches at Leeds and OT were made for he and Lock when pitches then were green and both places had recd their fair amount of rain.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
No but the point is that the weather means the pitches are naturally dry. So leaving them so by not excessively watering to compensate can hardly constitute 'doctoring' the pitches. There is also another theory that the modern drainage systems are sucking the moisture out of the squares so the character of pitches are changing.

Frankly the whole concept of the "traditional English seamer" is really a bit of a myth these days. We rarely see them for test matches these days. The weather obviously plays a part through offering swing, but most of the pitches themselves are flat.
I have no problem with doctored pitches for the record, your playing at home, you deserve the right to produce pitches however you want. Just saying that it's obvious that Swann is meant to benefit from the pitches, this isn't normal.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Frankly the whole concept of the "traditional English seamer" is really a bit of a myth these days. We rarely see them for test matches these days. The weather obviously plays a part through offering swing, but most of the pitches themselves are flat.
Yeah this. People have been constantly talking about how Bird is suited to English conditions, but I don't buy it. He's predominantly a seam bowlers isn't he? So he'd actually prefer the faster wickets in Australia and certainly prefer Hobart to most English test grounds.

I'd be interested to hear Vic's thoughts, but in club cricket England has always been a place where spin is quite dominant. See far more slow, low turners than fast green tops.

Last edited:

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
So Phil Hughes has been dropped after the 2nd test to accommodate Shane Watson eh

Riggins

International Captain
yea in my experience, at least in club cricket where the grounds aren't as well covered and don't drain as well, the pitches are a lot softer. As such they seam, but it's slow seam movement, and not a lot of bounce, so you have enough time to adjust. On the other hand bowling spin you can afford to bowl a lot fast and don't lose the grip off the wicket, so coupled with club batsmen usually being **** players of spin, decent spinners do bowl really well.

@cabby

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
yea in my experience, at least in club cricket where the grounds aren't as well covered and don't drain as well, the pitches are a lot softer. As such they seam, but it's slow seam movement, and not a lot of bounce, so you have enough time to adjust. On the other hand bowling spin you can afford to bowl a lot fast and don't lose the grip off the wicket, so coupled with club batsmen usually being **** players of spin, decent spinners do bowl really well.

@cabby
Happens in NZ as well, Bruce Martin is someone who thrives on those pitches but looks crap elsewhere