• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Third Test at Old Trafford

Viscount Tom

International Debutant
Kind of feel for touring teams in England they either get second rate teams to face or teams that just put out a reserve XI.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Found this one, not sure if there have been any after, I like this one though, because it includes a Bairstow.

Oh and Hildreth not getting mentioned by Cricinfo is clearly a disgrace.
Why doesn't he get mentioned much nowadays? He used to year ago, even captained the Lions didn't he? Just a case of age now?

Honestly not sure I could take the smugness of having 4 Yorkies in an England team - the way Alex Lees is going though its looking like almost a formality at some stage. Thakor is a big talent but isn't ready yet IMO. Both he and Lee's are two years away but could be fantastic players.
I agree, but Cook's not done yet :D

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Why doesn't he get mentioned much nowadays? He used to year ago, even captained the Lions didn't he? Just a case of age now?
It was a couple of years ago when he looked next in line, but he did then have a horror season, and seems to be leap-frogged by many.

Can't be age as he's younger than Compo.

91Jmay

International Coach
Hildreth strikes the ball nicely but his technique is bad against the moving ball from what I've seen.

grecian

Well I've pretty much given up on him playing. Yet it did kind of annoy me when he scored two 50s against the Rabble, and it wasn't hardly mentioned.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Honestly not sure I could take the smugness of having 4 Yorkies in an England team - the way Alex Lees is going though its looking like almost a formality at some stage. Thakor is a big talent but isn't ready yet IMO. Both he and Lee's are two years away but could be fantastic players.
Much as it pains me to admit but Yorkshire are doing something right with their development programs, if you look at the latest under 19 squad they have 5 from Yorkshire. None from Lancashire and we would be lucky if we have had more than a couple of selections in the past five years or so.

Son Of Coco

I can't see Compton getting called up but can see him going to Australia in the winter as a spare bat. Think Taylor has done enough this season to deserve another chance and with the series almost won it makes sense not to risk KP and give him an extra week or so to get it right before he returns for either the 4th or 5th test depending how long he is out.

As for Australia god knows what they do, we know Pattinson is out and that the batting is terrible and putting so much pressure on the bowlers but do they bring Warner back, try Lyon, pick Bird as Patto's replacement? So many questions and not much time to sort it out. This tour is very similar to many England had in the 90's with injuries and a poor team getting thrashed, I expect it to continue here and England to wrap the series up.

For mine the answer to Pattinson being out is simple - bring in Bird. Would give Lyon a go too - Agar's batting in the First Test was nice to watch, but Lyon's probably more of a chance of taking wickets. Would probably give Warner a go at 6...

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
I can see Warner going big at OT. Think he is a good player who has the character needed.
He has the potential to for sure, but he's just as likely go out for an ugly looking 12 as well.

I don't like nor do I rate Wanker Warner that highly but if he does play at OT (and surely he will) he is certainly more likely to score runs than any of their top/middle order apart from Clarke.

I'm just hoping the selection boys got a fat over Big Shows ton......be ****ing hilarious if he is brought in.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
I think it was quite telling that Warner batted at 4 behind two makeshift openers in the Australia A game. Surely the most likely scenario is for Warner to come in for Philip Hughes.

Cooky Monster

U19 12th Man
Really does show how desperately low it can get when your relying on David Warner to come to the rescue in an Ashes series, incredible really.

Last edited:

Spark

Global Moderator
He has the potential to for sure, but he's just as likely go out for an ugly looking 12 as well.

I don't like nor do I rate Wanker Warner that highly but if he does play at OT (and surely he will) he is certainly more likely to score runs than any of their top/middle order apart from Clarke.

I'm just hoping the selection boys got a fat over Big Shows ton......be ****ing hilarious if he is brought in.
Don't give us nightmares...

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
its hilarious that we're struggling to find a way to fit Warner in the team that doesn't include someone else getting unfairly burnt

there's this one guy who deserves to get burnt though......................