• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Third Test at Old Trafford

Expressway76

U19 Vice-Captain
Honestly, this is ridiculous. This is a sport. Moderate risks should be allowed. The batsmen should be given the option to carry on in case of bad light. A) They are already padded up from top to bottom, any injury can hardly be threatening. If you are such pussies, they you should go be umpires at a barn dance. Sportsmen everywhere take lots of risks. Why don't we ban the XGames altogether; B) IT'S A SPORT. They want to win. Give them the opportunity. The fielders are not going to get hurt. Who the **** is scared of getting a little hurt when a game is at stake. Umpires, **** you!! And **** Cook. *****. Scared little *****. ​But mummy, I just wanted to keep the Ashes at home.

It's not about people getting hurt it's about being forced to go out and face fresh(ish) bowlers bowling the new ball under poor light conditions. That's why Cook took the light and any other captain would too, Clarke was happy to stay out and face quicks, he was all set and had 330 runs in the bank, no way would he have done anything different to Cook.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
Any captain who brought there spinners on there is a complete idiot and should be dropped.
There is no way Cook is at all to blame for the light, if he wants to take time out of the game then he is perfectly entitled to do so.

Meridio

International Regular
Cbf trawling back through the thread to see what people have written but I was at Old Trafford today and couldn't believe they were going off for light. It was ridiculous. Honestly, cricket shoots itself in the foot so often with this kind of thing - it was overcast and all but you're there to play the game ffs.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Not declaring at tea was definitely a boob from Clarke. Some people seem to think he should ignore the extremely relevant information that is the weather forecast on principle. Of course there's a chance that we get a full day's play tomorrow and England knock off the runs ten overs before the end of play. There's also a chance that they only get 60 overs in and the match ends with England 9 down. You need to balance those things against each other and Clarke clearly has far too many runs and not enough overs.

Not that it overly matters, it'll surely be a draw whatever he does. I'm just arguing for the sake of it.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
They've had a 350 partnership in 79 overs. Granted it did come against India's bowling 'attack'.
I think in the last 12 months they've had the slowest RR of all test nations save Zimbabwe.

Not that it generally matters, but it's relevant for a 300+ last day chase. From Australia's POV it doesn't matter. 2-0 after tomorrow or 3-0 and it's rotten eggs on return to Kingsford-Smith.

burr

State Vice-Captain
I personally would rather us draw than win. It's pretty clear we're not going to take this series but I'd like us not to lose it 5-0. Apart from Clarke, batting still a worry. Can see collapses happening again in the near future.

And that doesn't mean I don't want Clarke to go for the win.

Last edited:

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
I personally would rather us draw than win. It's pretty clear we're not going to take this series but I'd like us not to lose it 5-0.
Huh??

I assume that's a typo and you mean you'd rather draw than lose??

Last edited:

91Jmay

International Coach
The only way England win is them being 2 down at tea and needing to go at 5 RPO to win with KP in. He then may be given a license to go, but that isn't going to happen. My prediction

196 - 6 off 68 overs, match drawn.