• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Third Test at Old Trafford

L Trumper

State Regular
can't believe people are blaming clarke here. when it comes down to it setting 360 in 110 overs actually helps the team win more than setting 300 in 130. If he sets 300 in 130, he can't set fields to attack.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Where has Clarke's reputation as this uber aggressive captain come from btw?
He has a tendency towards pretty aggressive declarations without huge pressure to make them. He declared just after lunch on day 2 against Sri Lanka this summer for instance, at around 5-450, which I think it's fair to say not too many international captains would do.

I think people are expecting him to declare based on the weather forecast here which I don't think you can really do. Could easily have a full day's play tomorrow and setting England 2.5 an over to win or whatever on a good wicket would put him in a pretty difficult position. Prior to the bad light call, wasn't a bad position for Australia to be in. Will need some luck with the weather now though.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Yeah it was declaring behind that really did it for me with regards to Clarke. Incredibly ballsy thing to do.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
can't believe people are blaming clarke here. when it comes down to it setting 360 in 110 overs actually helps the team win more than setting 300 in 130. If he sets 300 in 130, he can't set fields to attack.
we aren't gonna get that many overs in ffs

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
What I find really weird about the new rule about not offering light to batsman is that they could still stay on if spin was bowled. I get that it can be dangerous for fielders too, but if they're ok to stay on with spin on, why shouldn't it be up to the batsman whether they want to carry on?

L Trumper

State Regular
What I find really weird about the new rule about not offering light to batsman is that they could still stay on if spin was bowled. I get that it can be dangerous for fielders too, but if they're ok to stay on with spin on, why shouldn't it be up to the batsman whether they want to carry on?
we will never have another karachi :(

L Trumper

State Regular
Yes you do, be ****ing realistic, no point having your head in the clouds thinking it won't rain when every source tells you it will, expect 30 overs at minimum to be lost
they were telling it will rain from 12.30 today and it didn't.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
they were telling it will rain from 12.30 today and it didn't.
still can't afford to risk it, we have to win this game, and to do that we have to factor in the weather, I'd rather England win and the rain stays away then have England get away with a draw after tomorrow is all but lost to rain.

LegionOfBrad

International Debutant
Its raining now so that looks like we're down for the day.

Clarke will have to declare before play starts tomorrow.

Last edited:

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
right well that's it, Clarkeh should never have came back out, now we probably have too many runs and not enough time, damn