• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Third Test at Old Trafford

Stapel

International Regular
Australia really should have made more runs than that IMO. Should declare now anyhow.
I agree the Ozzies missed a trick here. However, If I were Clarke, I'd take 8 overs to throw the kitchen think at just every ball, before declaring (or simply losing all wickets).

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
I agree the Ozzies missed a trick here. However, If I were Clarke, I'd take 8 overs to throw the kitchen think at just every ball, before declaring (or simply losing all wickets).
Nup, with the weather tomorrow and the approach England will probably take, we won't need those extra runs IMO

Howe_zat

Audio File
Weird how people acknowledge that a draw is a loss to Australia but are still talking about what target will tempt England. They won't chase a friggin thing.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Jesus christ Bumble. He's really saying that if there's no play for the rest of the day that Clarke should continue batting tomorrow. FMD.

Swingpanzee

International Regular
If Clarke declares his bowlers got to be pretty sharp and get at least 3 by stumps or else England have this game on their hands.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Old news I know but I just saw repeated replays of the Khawaja dismissal from the first innings. Noone can be happy with that.

TumTum

Banned
Declare now is my view.

England don't have the balls to chase 200 even if we set that. They always play defensive cricket.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Weird how people acknowledge that a draw is a loss to Australia but are still talking about what target will tempt England. They won't chase a friggin thing.
Is it a bit interesting really that the Ashes are treated differently to every other series in world cricket. The possibility of drawing a series - even the other series that do have trophies like the Basil D'Oliveira, Border-Gavaskar etc - would be seen as significant if this wasn't the Ashes, but if England retain the trophy here then it'll be seen as a win for them.

I don't think it's a bad thing, but it is a funny quirk of cricket, particularly given the official rankings system that seems to be more and more treasured doesn't give two hoots about who holds each trophy.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
They will if it just means batting normally. They are not going to shut up shop when batting for not much more than a day. If they bat 100 overs then they would have every chance f knocking them off even without having to actually chase.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Declare now is my view.

England don't have the balls to chase 200 even if we set that. They always play defensive cricket.
In the past 5 yrs (number pulled randomly) England score their runs on average at 3.29 and Australia at 3.32. No difference.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Is it a bit interesting really that the Ashes are treated differently to every other series in world cricket. The possibility of drawing a series - even the other series that do have trophies like the Basil D'Oliveira, Border-Gavaskar etc - would be seen as significant if this wasn't the Ashes, but if England retain the trophy here then it'll be seen as a win for them.

I don't think it's a bad thing, but it is a funny quirk of cricket, particularly given the official rankings system that seems to be more and more treasured doesn't give two hoots about who holds each trophy.
And all that despite it being the only trophy that doesn't really get handed over.

TumTum

Banned
In the past 5 yrs (number pulled randomly) England score their runs on average at 3.29 and Australia at 3.32. No difference.
That is a non-relevant stat.

England slowing down the over rates,we all know under Cook they won't try to win even if they get within 50 runs with 10 overs to go.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator

Yeah, it's really weird. England resigned the Basil D'Oliverira trophy with their draw at Haedingly last year, but if it was the Ashes they almost certainly would've gone completely for the win. South Africa wouldn't have declared either.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Lol Bumble.
If only his cricket commentary was as good as he thinks his football commentary would be....

Seriously, I really don't get what's so funny about him coming up with football formations with extra players and comparing them to garlic bread. It's just mindless rambling. No one would find it amusing if the co-comentaors didn't react the way they did.