Cricket Player Manager
Page 11 of 252 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161111 ... LastLast
Like Tree284Likes

Thread: *Official* Third Test at Old Trafford

Quote Originally Posted by Spikey View Post
    Adam Mountford ‏@tmsproducer 2m
    England name a 14 man squad for the 3rd #Ashes squad including Chris Tremlett, Monty Panesar and James Taylor. Steve Finn dropped #bbcsport
    score
    "Your averages, captain, coaches and players can probably survive incompetence over a relatively short series, so if youíre going to be rubbish, make sure itís against Pakistan, Sri Lanka, New Zealand or someone."

Tbf Bairstow looks like a walking wicket. Happy to see him walking out.

International Vice-Captain MW1304's Avatar
    Still don't really see what Tremlett has done to get his place back yet, it seems too soon. Onions royally shafted etc.
    hendrix and Cabinet96 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by MW1304 View Post
    Onions royally shafted etc.
    Are you Scaly in disguise.....
    Are you Scaly, in disguise

International Vice-Captain MW1304's Avatar
    'Twas my purpose, ol' Adders.

International Debutant the big bambino's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Adders View Post
    What's to say if he came back in 2009 at No6 he wouldn't have had similar success??

After that decent little period he went to **** again and then got shuffled around the order......I know the stats say he scores more runs at the top but I'm not convinced it has anything to do with where he bats but just his form at the time.

What I do know is that ideally what you want from opener is to chew up time, and once they are in, have the mental fortitude to go on with it. Twattos sexy looking 30 - 40's would be welcomed at 6, they don't cut it at the top though.
    As to the highlighted; I don't know. Neither does anyone. He was groomed by Chappell to open. That's where he ended up and its where he scored all his runs. Look, I can't accept speculation over proven stats. He doesn't cut it lower down and that is a sounder basis for speculating his likely contribution at 6 than your alternative reality scenario. I don't find Watson's 30s sexy. They don't cut it anywhere in the order. But we will need him if Harris breaks down. Siddle and Bird have had their injury issues and are likely to breakdown themselves if they are forced to carry Harris' workload. So Watson's bowling helps them too. The logic says he plays and opens.

Quote Originally Posted by Adders View Post
    Funny, I think the same about Bairstow but I do wonder if we are maybe being a bit harsh on the lad........3rd highest run scorer for the series after all.

As for Finn, yeah it is harsh on him and I do wonder what this will do to his confidence. If they do go with the same 11 it wouldn't have hurt to keep Finn in the squad and around the team (unless he's got some worthwhile cricket to play) I love Tremlett and am delighted to see him back in the frame but we need to accept that Finn is the future and this is a critical time in his development.
    Nah, good move this, Finn needs to work on his run-up and get some game time for Middlesex. Better this for his development then carrying drinks or getting carted IMHO.
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself,
    (I am large, I contain multitudes.
    Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by the big bambino View Post
    As to the highlighted; I don't know. Neither does anyone. He was groomed by Chappell to open. That's where he ended up and its where he scored all his runs. Look, I can't accept speculation over proven stats. He doesn't cut it lower down and that is a sounder basis for speculating his likely contribution at 6 than your alternative reality scenario. I don't find Watson's 30s sexy. They don't cut it anywhere in the order. But we will need him if Harris breaks down. Siddle and Bird have had their injury issues and are likely to breakdown themselves if they are forced to carry Harris' workload. So Watson's bowling helps them too. The logic says he plays and opens.
    thats a ridiculous assertion in the context of your discussion with addsy bearing in mind he can't bat in two places at once. fwiw i don't think there is anything about opening (bar not seeing spin first up) that advantages shane cankerson
    Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    I just love all kinds of balls.

Quote Originally Posted by uvelocity View Post
    thats a ridiculous assertion in the context of your discussion with addsy bearing in mind he can't bat in two places at once. fwiw i don't think there is anything about opening (bar not seeing spin first up) that advantages shane cankerson
    hard fast ball and aggressive fields, plus it's a position where a start is of most value to the side, so if he always gets starts then he sort of gets away with not converting (sort of), might just be a mindset thing though.
    There are two colours in my head

Sugarealm

International Debutant the big bambino's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by uvelocity View Post
    What? Genuinely amazed you read that into what I said. To clarify: No I don't believe Watson should bat in 2 places at once to disprove whatever you think I said.
    LongHopCassidy likes this.

addsy is saying its a fact that his good form happened at a point in time. you said it happened due to a change in position. there is no way to prove one or the other although this series could, but you could still say the position suited him but not the point in time.

International Coach flibbertyjibber's Avatar
    Happy with the squad, just hope KP is fit.

School Boy/Girl Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by Maximas View Post
    hard fast ball and aggressive fields, plus it's a position where a start is of most value to the side, so if he always gets starts then he sort of gets away with not converting (sort of), might just be a mindset thing though.
    No! Remember this is international cricket making starts and getting out has never been good enough and guess what it won't ever be good enough at that level.Its more detrimental to the team that he is opening.Look,Warner before his form slump performed better than Watson at the top of the order: he converted most of his starts, scored quickly and demonstrated a greater degree of patients.Not to mention that Warner"s technique is better suited to Watson at the top( something that gets overlook).Warner is the incumbent so if he comes back into the team he bats in his position.We need to stop batting guys in position that's foreign to them.Don"t see why anyone would choose Watson over Warner at the top of the other.Watson for all what persons on here believe doesn"t really have that great a technique for opening , most times he stretches too far foward,so even when the hard ball rise a touch he gets in an awk position and ofcourse not too mention the fact he plays around his pad.Must admit that he scores quickly and puts the bad ball away in style but this is test cricket we need fight(no punt intended), temperament and the ability to convert states at the top, more so now that our middle order is so brittle.
    Last edited by Philhughesisbes; 28-07-2013 at 05:05 AM.

I never said it should be tolerated, I just said opening is the best place to be if you make consistent starts, Ian Chappel is always going on about Ian Redpath for this reason. Warner probably should be a straight swap for Watson, but I honestly want Hughes dropped before him so IMO Watson retains opening spot and Warner moves down to 3, I think he could cope with that better than Watson.

Quote Originally Posted by MW1304 View Post
    Still don't really see what Tremlett has done to get his place back yet, it seems too soon. Onions royally shafted etc.
    I know it's only Twenty20, but I saw him bowl at Lords on Thursday. He looked fast, aggressive, and accurate. If he can keep that up for 7 over spells over a day then he would be a real handful at Old Trafford.
    Quote Originally Posted by GIMH View Post
    Just think, if we'd bowled them out for zero we'd still be struggling

Page 11 of 252 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161111 ... LastLast

Thread Information