• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Third Test at Old Trafford

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
I would understand if one player was performing quite poorly amongst the win they got dropped, but if you're just gonna tinker with the combinations and do a horses for courses thing, I wouldn't be in favour tbh, I'm not saying it can't work though. I just feel that if the exact same team comes up against you after a heavy defeat, the same insecurities are likely to surface.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
I like the option of potentially playing two spinners. Doesn't happen enough in our home tests.

Still don't really see what Tremlett has done to get his place back yet, it seems too soon. Onions royally shafted etc.
'Twas my purpose, ol' Adders.
Well, I actually agree with the original post...

Bollox.

Ah, well. I'm talking shyte then, obvz. I do do that.
Indeed you are. Tremlett's Michelle was in the second dig :ph34r:

Howe_zat

Audio File
I like the option of potentially playing two spinners. Doesn't happen enough in our home tests.
Well technically our 2 spinners took 11 wickets in the last Test...

Not having a decent seam option in the top 7 is the main thing holding the idea back.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
Well technically our 2 spinners took 11 wickets in the last Test...

Not having a decent seam option in the top 7 is the main thing holding the idea back.
Trott not good enough? The england pacers are very fit though,with some help from Trott I think they'd be fine with the 2 seamers, the pitch has to be a real turner though

Howe_zat

Audio File
I nearly had a moment where I considered picking Bopara might be a good idea, so I'm going to pt the internet away for a bit.

~

The good thing about Taylor and Tremlett possibly playing together is that we might get pictures of Taylor and Tremlett playing together.

MW1304

Cricketer Of The Year
Basically if it isn't turning then we don't need two spinners anyway, and if it is a real bunsen then I'd back Root to be decent backup for Swann, showed in the last Test that he can bowl.

The people in the know seem to think reverse is more likely than turn anyhow, so stick with Bres please.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Is Root good enough to be an actual second spinner, or just a back-up if Swann gets run-over again?
Generally I'm not going to consider him a serious part of the attack as long as both he and Swann remain offies. But his bowling has a lot of potential.

91Jmay

International Coach
Is Root good enough to be an actual second spinner, or just a back-up if Swann gets run-over again?
I currently see him as just short of a second spinner quality but he is already more than part time spin. Pietersen is someone i would say is part time, Root is more accurate and turns it more.

MW1304

Cricketer Of The Year
He doesn't. Even Swann doesn't turn it as much as KP tbh, wanna see him on the revometer.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
I reckon Pietersen would be the hardest of the 3 to face*

*on the assumption that he lands all 6 deliveries properly.

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
Re Monty. Like others I think it's a nice option to have in the squad even if I don't think he should or would play. There is normally a decent amount in it for the seamers at Old Trafford and given the weather has turned it'll be a risk. Then again since the wicket was turned 90 degrees the wickets have been kind of unpredictable. The last game at Old Trafford in the championship both teams played two spinners and they took 20 out of the 25 wickets in the game so in that respect it is wise to have Monty in the squad in case a similar wicket is prepared.

I think the Oval is the game where Monty should play. Much more like a subcontinental wicket with no pace and slow turn meaning nothing much in it for the seamers.

These next two matches at Old Trafford and Chester Le Street are both decent wickets for Australia. OT had pace and bounce (it may not this year, who knows?), and C-L-S is the lowest scoring ground in county cricket - always swings and seams and has decent pace and inconsistent bounce in the wicket.

91Jmay

International Coach
Its a bit of a myth that KP is a big turner IMO. He does occasionally rip one but its always a long hop. The majority of balls that land in a halfway decent area go straight on. Thing is with Swann/Root they could both rip the ball as much as that but they are aware that bowling long hops that spin is rather useless.

hazsa19

International Regular
Its a bit of a myth that KP is a big turner IMO. He does occasionally rip one but its always a long hop. The majority of balls that land in a halfway decent area go straight on. Thing is with Swann/Root they could both rip the ball as much as that but they are aware that bowling long hops that spin is rather useless.
This. KP and Trott should not bowl for England, unless things are desperate.