Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: Does anyone think Australia's situation is not actually that dire?

International Vice-Captain Monk's Avatar

Does anyone think Australia's situation is not actually that dire?

Ok. We've lost two tests. The first could have easily gone either way. We were righteously smashed up the date in the second test, but we were also shafted by not breaking a significant partnership when Smith's catch was disallowed, and Twatto shafted all his team mates with his self indulgent reviews.

No doubt our main problem is our batting. We are particularly prone to collapses, and obviously because of that we are not creating significant partnerships.

The main issue I see is at the selection table. We are selecting batsmen for a couple of tests, then dropping them after low scores. I think the selectors need to be definite here. They need to select players, particularly batsmen, with two attributes. Technique and temperament.

I think there selectors really need to decide who is our best top six (technique and temperament) for the next 2 and basically stick with them. I think we need to stop playing openers at six, and mediocre allrounders as openers, and openers at 3, and Clarke anywhere but 5 etc etc.

Here are my thoughts on Australia's batsmen...

Watson- time to be dropped for good. Has had enough chances. Cannot convert starts, and has a massive technical flaw.

Rogers- will be a series by series proposition at his age. I rate him as an opener, shows some grit. I've been pleasantly surprised by his fielding considering he's a ranga with glasses.

Khawaja- I feel Australia owe this guy an extended run in the test team. And I think he has the goods to make it.

Hughes- I like him as a guy, but he has massive flaws for an elite batsman. I think he either opens or doesn't play.

Clarke- good etc etc

Smith- has grown on me in these two tests. Seems to want "it" more than some others. Nice player of spin, and good in the field.

Warner- should figure prominently based on raw ability. Far more than just a slogger, has a nice compact technique. Needs to be in the right headspace.

Cowan- seems like a champ but lacks the killer instinct. I'd love to see him carve a test career as a reliable opener averaging 40 plus, but I'm not sure he can do it.

Haddin- makes runs sometimes but has brain diahorrea sometimes too.

I'd love to hear who else people rate. Doolan, Burns, Maddinson and Henriques have all made runs for Aust A.

In all honesty, if you were Australian selector right, who would you pick right now if all players are available? A top seven to lock in for the next 12-24 months.

International Coach
    Suicide Bob Champion!
    Thread title and OP are sort of asking for different things..

That's true. I think the issue making our situation dire is weird selections and batting players out of position.

My point was our pace bowling is top notch and we probably only need to develop two more good batsmen.

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    We just lost by 350 runs to a naturally inferior sporting nation. Of course something is horrendously wrong.

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Monk View Post
    Ok. We've lost two tests. The first could have easily gone either way. We were righteously smashed up the date in the second test, but we were also shafted by not breaking a significant partnership when Smith's catch was disallowed, and Twatto shafted all his team mates with his self indulgent reviews.
    You cannot talk about being shafted by umpires without acknowledging the "shaftings" the other way which made the First Test so close.
    marc71178 - President and founding member of AAAS - we don't only appreciate when he does well, but also when he's not quite so good!

Anyone want to join the Society?

Beware the evils of Kit-Kats - they're immoral apparently.

International Vice-Captain Riggins's Avatar
    it's gonna get a whole lot worse when clarke pulls the pin after the series.
    The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament.

Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    We just lost by 350 runs to a naturally inferior sporting nation. Of course something is horrendously wrong.
    Welcome to last decade Burgmeister........ Inferior sporting nation??? We **** all over you in just about everything these days son.
    Last edited by Adders; 22-07-2013 at 02:39 AM.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Top_Cat's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Riggins View Post
    it's gonna get a whole lot worse when clarke pulls the pin after the series.
    Alright. What do you know? Spill!
    The Colourphonics

Bandcamp
    Twitderp

Quote Originally Posted by Adders View Post
    Welcome to last decade Burgmeister........ Inferior sporting nation??? We **** all over you in just about everything these days son.
    Who is 'we' exactly? England or England and Wales, Britain, Kenya, Scotland who exactly?
    Garson007 likes this.
    NRL Tipping Champion 2014

Quote Originally Posted by NUFAN View Post
    Who is 'we' exactly? England or England and Wales, Britain, Kenya, Scotland who exactly?
    Depends whether they win or not
    Garson007 likes this.

United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Island mate..........one passport....one country.

Edit:

But let's not drag this thread off topic.......this ones got some serious humour written all over it
    Last edited by Adders; 22-07-2013 at 03:09 AM.

I'm waiting to be able to put my hard earned on Australia for the home series.
    Current Favourite XI 1. Cook 2. Gayle 3. Sangakarra 4. Clarke* 5. Chanderpaul 6. Rahane 7. De Kock+ 8.Johnson 9.Steyn 10. Herath 11. Roach

I want West Indies to be competitive again

International Coach flibbertyjibber's Avatar
    Says the man from the country who have a new spin hope from Pakistan.

I'm gonna make a massively bold prediction. We'll thrash (or maybe just beat) England in the home series.

Quote Originally Posted by Adders View Post
    Cricket aside, you don't beat us at anything we care about.
    Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity.

Too many bones, not enough CASH!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZwgu8_b0Vw

RIP Craig

Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast

Thread Information