• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Does anyone think Australia's situation is not actually that dire?

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Ok. We've lost two tests. The first could have easily gone either way. We were righteously smashed up the date in the second test, but we were also shafted by not breaking a significant partnership when Smith's catch was disallowed, and Twatto shafted all his team mates with his self indulgent reviews.

No doubt our main problem is our batting. We are particularly prone to collapses, and obviously because of that we are not creating significant partnerships.

The main issue I see is at the selection table. We are selecting batsmen for a couple of tests, then dropping them after low scores. I think the selectors need to be definite here. They need to select players, particularly batsmen, with two attributes. Technique and temperament.

I think there selectors really need to decide who is our best top six (technique and temperament) for the next 2 and basically stick with them. I think we need to stop playing openers at six, and mediocre allrounders as openers, and openers at 3, and Clarke anywhere but 5 etc etc.

Here are my thoughts on Australia's batsmen...

Watson- time to be dropped for good. Has had enough chances. Cannot convert starts, and has a massive technical flaw.

Rogers- will be a series by series proposition at his age. I rate him as an opener, shows some grit. I've been pleasantly surprised by his fielding considering he's a ranga with glasses.

Khawaja- I feel Australia owe this guy an extended run in the test team. And I think he has the goods to make it.

Hughes- I like him as a guy, but he has massive flaws for an elite batsman. I think he either opens or doesn't play.

Clarke- good etc etc

Smith- has grown on me in these two tests. Seems to want "it" more than some others. Nice player of spin, and good in the field.

Warner- should figure prominently based on raw ability. Far more than just a slogger, has a nice compact technique. Needs to be in the right headspace.

Cowan- seems like a champ but lacks the killer instinct. I'd love to see him carve a test career as a reliable opener averaging 40 plus, but I'm not sure he can do it.

Haddin- makes runs sometimes but has brain diahorrea sometimes too.

I'd love to hear who else people rate. Doolan, Burns, Maddinson and Henriques have all made runs for Aust A.

In all honesty, if you were Australian selector right, who would you pick right now if all players are available? A top seven to lock in for the next 12-24 months.

Red

That's true. I think the issue making our situation dire is weird selections and batting players out of position.

My point was our pace bowling is top notch and we probably only need to develop two more good batsmen.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
We just lost by 350 runs to a naturally inferior sporting nation. Of course something is horrendously wrong.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Ok. We've lost two tests. The first could have easily gone either way. We were righteously smashed up the date in the second test, but we were also shafted by not breaking a significant partnership when Smith's catch was disallowed, and Twatto shafted all his team mates with his self indulgent reviews.
You cannot talk about being shafted by umpires without acknowledging the "shaftings" the other way which made the First Test so close.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
We just lost by 350 runs to a naturally inferior sporting nation. Of course something is horrendously wrong.
Welcome to last decade Burgmeister........ Inferior sporting nation??? We **** all over you in just about everything these days son.

Last edited:

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Welcome to last decade Burgmeister........ Inferior sporting nation??? We **** all over you in just about everything these days son.
Who is 'we' exactly? England or England and Wales, Britain, Kenya, Scotland who exactly?

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Who is 'we' exactly? England or England and Wales, Britain, Kenya, Scotland who exactly?
United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Island mate..........one passport....one country.

Edit:

But let's not drag this thread off topic.......this ones got some serious humour written all over it:D

Last edited:

Red

I'm gonna make a massively bold prediction. We'll thrash (or maybe just beat) England in the home series.

Red

Step 1. Pick some middle order batsmen instead of 4 or 5 openers.

We currently have Watson, Rogers, Warner, Cowan and Hughes on tour (with four of them in the team together). They're all openers FFS. And we also have Khawaja, who basically has an opener's technique.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Australia are just as bad as everyone thinks but I agree that their situation is no reason to panic, it happens sometimes. A lot of England's important players were absolute balls at the same stage in their career as the Australians are now.

Stapel

International Regular
No, the first Test could NOT have easily gone either way. Yeah, in the end it appeared so, But it only became close due to two great 10th wicket partnerships. Though I won't say that was simply good fortunes, it was (and still is) freakishly unlikely to happen!

No doubt our main problem is our batting. We are particularly prone to collapses, and obviously because of that we are not creating significant partnerships.

The main issue I see is at the selection table. We are selecting batsmen for a couple of tests, then dropping them after low scores. I think the selectors need to be definite here. They need to select players, particularly batsmen, with two attributes. Technique and temperament.

I think there selectors really need to decide who is our best top six (technique and temperament) for the next 2 and basically stick with them. I think we need to stop playing openers at six, and mediocre allrounders as openers, and openers at 3, and Clarke anywhere but 5 etc etc.

Here are my thoughts on Australia's batsmen...

Watson- time to be dropped for good. Has had enough chances. Cannot convert starts, and has a massive technical flaw.

Rogers- will be a series by series proposition at his age. I rate him as an opener, shows some grit. I've been pleasantly surprised by his fielding considering he's a ranga with glasses.

Khawaja- I feel Australia owe this guy an extended run in the test team. And I think he has the goods to make it.

Hughes- I like him as a guy, but he has massive flaws for an elite batsman. I think he either opens or doesn't play.

Clarke- good etc etc

Smith- has grown on me in these two tests. Seems to want "it" more than some others. Nice player of spin, and good in the field.

Warner- should figure prominently based on raw ability. Far more than just a slogger, has a nice compact technique. Needs to be in the right headspace.

Cowan- seems like a champ but lacks the killer instinct. I'd love to see him carve a test career as a reliable opener averaging 40 plus, but I'm not sure he can do it.

Haddin- makes runs sometimes but has brain diahorrea sometimes too.

I'd love to hear who else people rate. Doolan, Burns, Maddinson and Henriques have all made runs for Aust A.

In all honesty, if you were Australian selector right, who would you pick right now if all players are available? A top seven to lock in for the next 12-24 months.
I think there is no way selectors can solve the problem! Clarke apart, not one single Australian batsman is really Test worthy. Haddin, Smith and even Watson are (arguably) probably ok, as they can perform in other roles as well, but that's it.

If I were an Oz selector, I would seriously bring back MHussey, Katich & Ponting.

My point was our pace bowling is top notch and we probably only need to develop two more good batsmen.
I do agree the Aussie problems are in their batting department. And yeah, their bowling future looks bright enough. But I disagree it is top notch. Siddle & Harris are good. But Pattinson is not as good (yet) as expected. And Ashton Agar has stormed into Test Cricket with a great knock, but has bowling figures of 2 for 248....
Cook, Trott & Pietersen haven't been firing on all cylinders yet. I can see the Aussie bowlers going for a few more!