• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Does anyone think Australia's situation is not actually that dire?

Ruckus

International Captain
I mean, he's basically saying common sense should be applied. Don't blame this, this and that when maybe the reason you are losing is simply because your best team and tactics just aren't good enough
I don't really have a beef with the general message, I'm just not a fan off that style of writing. As Maximas said, it's too complicated, and that's why I prefer articles just written on specific contexts using common sense, rather than ones which attempt to make more broad generalizations.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah guys, we need to focus on solving Social's cricketer trivia. Back that long ago, he had to have played for either NZ or England.

......well I'm out.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
I mean, he's basically saying common sense should be applied. Don't blame this, this and that when maybe the reason you are losing is simply because your best team and tactics just aren't good enough
But if you dont recognize the underlying causes for having the worse team then you are destined to repeat and never understand why the current situation exists. My background is in failure analysis and it can be applied to cricket associations as easily as diesel engines. Im not saying Im the best or I know it all but Im OK. I find this type of article painful. I agree that there are lots of half arsed ideas floating around why sports teams fail but there is actually a lot of interesting stuff of value that can be used to help design failure out of the system.

Just saying that the other team is better and that causes are invented to fit the effect is a recipe for continued poor results. Seemingly contradictory statements may be true. For example, a 6 team SS may be potentially both a strength or a weakness. If it is a 6 team tournament with strength vs strength and all the top players play and others have to work hard to make the team and even harder to stay in a State team then it is an obvious advantage as it closely replicates Test cricket. The disadvantage of having few players available due to the small number of teams are off set by their hardened experience at a top level of cricket. It is a small but deep pool of talent. If the comp is diluted by a number of the best players not turning out and the level below isnt of an intense competitive standard then the pool stays small but is shallower.

There isnt one cause to the failure of any team. Some are bigger than others but if 20 are suggested (including those that are seemingly contradictory) then they should all be seriously looked at before being cast aside and just fixing one doesnt mean you dont have other issues that need looking at.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
The biggest problem Australia faces right now is actually identifying the correct big issues. I'm reminded of Ed Smith's article earlier this year: Ed Smith on the perils of manipulating causes to fit outcomes | Cricinfo Magazine | ESPN Cricinfo

btw ed smitteh i do think the shield is too small. bring in the act already
Yeah, I thought of that article when I read this one: Forget Tests, BBL is where it's at | Cricinfo Magazine | ESPN Cricinfo

People tend to forget that Australia had a pretty small T20 tournament during the last Ashes, and at the same time England were doing one which featured 16 group games.

91Jmay

International Coach
Typically selective Pommy memory. It's getting pretty hard to point to an Englishman in your Rugby team these days, and let's face it, complaining about Southern Hemisphere nationalities has been England's only way of getting through 30 years of turgid, godawful rugby. Your post is such a tired, cliched pile of steaming turd that I think it was originally released on Shellac at 78rpm; if not wax cylinder.
Three regular non-English players out of a squad of 30. Good one.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
We've decided to begin recruiting South Africans. This will not only bolster our own faltering batting stocks but decimate English stocks in the process.

You'll have this decade but we'll take the next.

The last one you recruited is currently suing the board..

Sorry, could not resist :p

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
That and he played for WA whilst Social played on the opposite side of the country (which, of course, HB wouldn't have known). That and Goodwin was genuinely quality.