Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 715161718 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: Does anyone think Australia's situation is not actually that dire?

Quote Originally Posted by Maximas View Post
    SOK should've been been back in the 2010/11 Ashes, still can't believe Doherty got picked, I'm certain he has upset the selectors somehow.
    I thought I read somewhere he wasn't too well liked with the NSW team as he didn't really fit in with your average blokey blokey cricket culture. Same probably goes for the boys club that is the test side. I know his favourite music is stuff like taylor swift and he's into a bunch of nerdish stuff so maybe that kind of thing has something to do with it. Wish they picked people purely on cricket but they don't. Same thing happened with Bryce Mcgain didn't it?

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Top_Cat's Avatar
    I can see the logic in dropping him, though. Yes he took a bag in India but there was little in his bowling that game to suggest he'd turned a corner. Mainly he did as he's done elsewhen, take advantage of great conditions for spin (which does make him valuable in and of itself, of course). On a pudding slow deck as at Trent Bridge, I'm sure the Aussies thought Agar wouldn't offer much less with the ball (true) but offer much more with the bat and in the field (true again).

England used to do the same with Tufnel; he started his Test career already a obviously good bowler but never evolved to bowl well in conditions that didn't suit him. If he had, he'd have played 100 Tests I'm sure.
    Last edited by Top_Cat; 30-07-2013 at 04:41 PM.
    The Colourphonics

Bandcamp
    Twitderp

International Vice-Captain Riggins's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by outbreak View Post
    I thought I read somewhere he wasn't too well liked with the NSW team as he didn't really fit in with your average blokey blokey cricket culture. Same probably goes for the boys club that is the test side. I know his favourite music is stuff like taylor swift and he's into a bunch of nerdish stuff so maybe that kind of thing has something to do with it. Wish they picked people purely on cricket but they don't. Same thing happened with Bryce Mcgain didn't it?
    nah, mcgain just bowled ****.
    The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament.

Yeah. MacGain shouldn't have played at all until he proved his shoulder was right.

Quote Originally Posted by Riggins View Post
    nah, mcgain just bowled ****.
    i thought he had the fc record to warrant some chances when healthy

Quote Originally Posted by outbreak View Post
    Boys club in the test side? We have Steve Smith, Phil Hughes and Chris Rogers in our team not Doug Walters, David Boon and Dennis Lillee.

International Vice-Captain Monk's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NUFAN View Post
    Boys club in the test side? We have Steve Smith, Phil Hughes and Chris Rogers in our team not Doug Walters, David Boon and Dennis Lillee.
    I'm sure smith, clarke and hughes share hair rollers and facial creams and the like.

International Debutant
    Rogers should share his prescription with the other batsmen as a hint. While he's at it he might get his checked again.

International Debutant
    Bryce McGain has to have one of the most painful test 'careers' ever really doesn't he. Jade Dernbach is laughing at his economy rate.

McGain was very poorly treated, but did himself no favours by saying to the press that he was bowling as well as ever in that innings.

Still probably should have gotten a second shot though.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Cat View Post
    I can see the logic in dropping him, though. Yes he took a bag in India but there was little in his bowling that game to suggest he'd turned a corner. Mainly he did as he's done elsewhen, take advantage of great conditions for spin (which does make him valuable in and of itself, of course). On a pudding slow deck as at Trent Bridge, I'm sure the Aussies thought Agar wouldn't offer much less with the ball (true) but offer much more with the bat and in the field (true again).
    Well they batted him at #11 so I don't think we can credit them for that. Of course Clarke decides the batting order but has no say in selection, so it is still possible. But it'd still be pretty hideous if they picked Agar for his batting then Clarke put him at 11.

Agar seemed to give the ball a bit more of a tweak but I still think Lyon should have played. Failing that, Agar shouldn't have played the second test while so obviously not fully fit- OK they were crushed anyway but given how the pitch played it could have really cost the team. Maybe Agar hid it from the selectors, which would be understandable if not excusable, but it is sort of their job to know these things. Honestly the whole thing has been a bit of a fiasco and I think Agar's brilliant batting in the first test has saved them an awful lot of justified criticism.
    Quote Originally Posted by zaremba View Post
    The Filth have comfortably the better bowling. But the Gash have the batting. Might be quite good to watch.

So it's not possible that they'd have seen him bat in the nets, seen an obviously better bat but still batted the new kid at 11?

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    Didn't Clarke say he batted at 11 to try and keep as much pressure off him as possible on his debut (considering the other selected bowlers could all also handle a bat)
    marc71178 - President and founding member of AAAS - we don't only appreciate when he does well, but also when he's not quite so good!

Anyone want to join the Society?

Beware the evils of Kit-Kats - they're immoral apparently.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Cat View Post
    So it's not possible that they'd have seen him bat in the nets, seen an obviously better bat but still batted the new kid at 11?
    They'll have noticed it no doubt but I definitely don't think they'd have factored it into his selection if they were planning to bat him at 11.

Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 715161718 LastLast

Thread Information