• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ashes Statistical Quirks and Questions

Howe_zat

Audio File
When was the last time we retained/won the Ashes in three tests? Must be Donkey's years.
1928 is the answer. Though England's wins from 1977 to 87 were in 6-test series so retention after 3 wasn't really on the cards. We were last 2-0 up after the third (with two to play) in 1977 but were not holding the Ashes going in.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
KP and Bell have been part of 4 Ashes winning sides (2005, 2009, 2010/11, 2013). That surely has to be up there?

There also can't be that many Australians who have worse records than Clarke? (5 series, won 1, lost 4).

Howe_zat

Audio File
I'm thinking players like Botham, Gower and Gooch would have won in all of 1977, 1977/78, 1981, 1985 and 1986/87. (Turns out it was actually just Botham that played all of these)

Edit: Having a look the 19th century players have this sewn up because of how many series they played back then. Billy Barnes played 21 Tests in his career and he won the ashes 7 times from 1882-90.

Edit again: Barnes is tied with Bobby Peel, Arthur Shrewsbury and Walter Read for the record seven wins. All 1880s players

Last edited:

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
When was the last drawn series, I'm sure I must be missing an obvious one, but I can't remember it, which is odd for my miserable time watching this glorious thing, which we all seem energised by.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
If ding dong gets another century soon then it'll be the first time ever that England will have had three batsman with 20 centuries and three bowlers with 200 wickets.
Does that count as one of our greatest sides then?

Got 6 pretty special players in our history and a great (having a shocker this summer) keeper.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Obviously the current lot get to play a lot more, but the 2011 side must go down as the best since beefy's days surely?

Not sure about the current lot though. Quite a few of the guys who were beasts a couple of years ago aren't quite doing it as well as they were.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
I still reckon the 10-11 win is better than this one regardless of what happens. There's probably a thread in that though.
No argument. 2010/11 was an absolute pasting. This series has been won because we've been less **** than Australia.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
No argument. 2010/11 was an absolute pasting. This series has been won because we've been less **** than Australia.
Absolutely and even if we win down under in the winter (which I fully expect) then that won't come close to 10/11 either. Best sleepless 6 weeks ever.