• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The "I told you so" and "I was wrong" Thread.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Except that, unlike Bresnan, he's been his team's best and most consistent performer. He's not just doing a job, he's dominating the Aussie bowling stats. That's taken the majority of his team's wickets comes as absolutely no surprise because, although Harris had a great day 1, only Siddle has been a constant threat throughout both matches. 3 overs aside, of course.

Last edited:

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Bresnan had a good game but he's been far from consistent.
Bresnan was much better than I expected. Really quite sharp at times on an unresponsive pitch. Time will tell whether it's a long-term return to form because he's fit again, or a one-off against weak opponents.

And I never foresaw Bell producing our two most crucial innings of the first two tests.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
yeah that was a real bonus for the English I suppose. I expect Anderson to bowl well, and Broad was decent in the first test and can be incisive, but I wasn't expecting much from either Bresnan or Bell.

It's looking pretty ominous.

FBU

International Debutant
Siddles unfashionable isn't he, similar to Bresnan in that regard, neither really excite but both do their job well more often than not.

I don't think so at all. Siddle picks up a 5fer every 5 Tests or every 5th first class match. Bresnan once in 21 Tests/first class game. Siddle is a top class bowler who I love watching. Can't say the same about Bresnan.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Bresnan was much better than I expected. Really quite sharp at times on an unresponsive pitch. Time will tell whether it's a long-term return to form because he's fit again, or a one-off against weak opponents.

And I never foresaw Bell producing our two most crucial innings of the first two tests.
I was wrong about Lyon. I never foresaw him being so ineffective on a track where Swann had already taken five first innings wickets. I can see Aus playing four quicks at Durham.

However, this seems as good a place as any to politely say 'I told you so' about so many of the media pieces after Lord's being completely OTT wrt the relative strengths of the two sides.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Also be careful comparing his performance with Swann's. Swann's five for was no cheap one, and I'm sure Lyon would've loved to have bowled to a bunch of left handers, had a play and miss go down as a wicket, and have his edge onto the keepers thigh carry to slip.

91Jmay

International Coach
Lyon looked bang average, decent against left handers (although Broad got after him) and ineffective against right handers.

Ruckus

International Captain
Lyon had patches where he was incredibly unlucky really.

Not talking about his bald patches ftr

Howe_zat

Audio File
Lyon was made to look ordinary when Bell and Pietersen were batting but he was fine the rest of the time. Deserved Bairstow's wicket.

Uppercut

Lyon had patches where he was incredibly unlucky really.

Not talking about his bald patches ftr
I like Lyon but he wasn't THAT unlucky. He caused Cook a few problems early on but he also had stretches where he looked totally ineffective, and didn't have an answer when he was attacked.

3 wickets for Australia's front-line spinners now, 19 for Swann. It's a difference between the sides that hasn't been commented on as much as the batting.

Last edited:

Tangles

International Vice-Captain
Seamers can bridge the wicket gap but if you dont have enough to bowl at it doesn't really matter what your bowling.

Top_Cat

I like Lyon but he wasn't THAT unlucky. He caused Cook a few problems early on but he also had stretches where he looked totally ineffective, and didn't have an answer when he was attacked.
Yep, neat description of how he's bowled in Test and Shield cricket for a while now.

Tangles

He is going to need to work out how he should be responding when he gets attacked.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
Lyon strikes me as a bowler who really doesn't have variation, except for a bit of natural variation. I didn't see him bowl a proper arm ball or a good top spinner, and I'm worried that's why he is easy to attack, he needs to work on some subtle variations and maybe some obvious ones too

Uppercut

He's played very few List A games. I know people quite reasonably argue that playing too much short-form cricket is bad for a spinner's development, but when it comes to dealing with very aggressive batsmen it must surely work against him to some extent.

The Battlers Prince

The evening session on day 2 was good with only a few bad fast deliveries from Lyon. It might be an argument that the part time spinners aren't consistent enough. But that's hardly worse than what Lyon or Agar offer. Lyon had a catch and some other close chances and Agar did as well at Trent Bridge. But neither is up to scratch without a really turning pitch. But what's the point of taking away from a pace battery that has troubled the POM's?