• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Umpire thread (not wambulance)

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Just realised that 8 of the 12 elite umpires are English or Australian, thus effectively leaving us with 4 umpires for the Ashes - Dharmasena, Dar, Erasmus and Tony Hill.

In today's DRS world, do we really need neutral umpires?

Expressway76

U19 Vice-Captain
You make a good point. I'm sure the quality of international umpiring has a lot to do with the reluctance of some very good umps to travel endlessly, with DRS in place the chances of glaring errors that are potentially influenced by bias or by maybe spot fixing happening are lessened a great deal.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Still keep neutral umpires. What is a controversial decision is made after all your reviews are used up? I think we could do without nationality based disputes arising in such circumstances.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Still keep neutral umpires. What is a controversial decision is made after all your reviews are used up? I think we could do without nationality based disputes arising in such circumstances.
Yeah good point.

If anything the OP makes me think there's not enough nations repped in the panel

VCC44

School Boy/Girl Captain
Keep neutral umpires, I'm not aware of any other major sports where at international level a team could be officiated by a person from their country?

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Surely DRS makes non-neutral umpires even less necessary? At least without it you could argue that it's a tough job and maybe there isn't anyone from outside the competing nations that could do it as well. With DRS almost anyone could do it, so there's no need to stoke up a load of unnecessary controversy.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
I wouldn't be opposed to England and Australia fielding one umpire apiece for Ashes matches, though I agree that it wouldn't be ideal (imagine the outcry if Ian Gould had been the one to give Broad not out for the Agar catch - what was a bad mistake for Dar could've been a career-ending one for an English umpire). The ICC needs to start investing in umpiring around the world, and focus on building a more diverse umpiring panel.

Last edited:

91Jmay

International Coach
Bowden is the worst umpire on the circuit. Joke of a bloke. I wouldn't mind Aussies umpiring in the Tests, think the Umps are to professional to be effected by nationality but I agree with the point above that morons would probably jump on it if there was a controversial decision.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I mentioned it on another thread about the fact that we only have 4 umpires for the 10 tests and that worries me. Hopefully the TB test was a blip and they return to being good again but I am concerned that at the end of the 2 series we will be talking more about umpiring decisions than the cricket that was played.

LegionOfBrad

International Debutant
Is there a reason why so many of the UMPS are currently England/Aus. I know we have just lost Rauf for obvious reasons but the deck is highly stacked ATM.

As an Englishmen I'd never seen Gould officiate in a test before watching the SA/AU's series and was very impressed.

Also what will they do if an UMP goes down injured/sick and we're down to three. I take it there is a secondary list of umps who do just odi's?

And not a single Indian is shocking but is the BCCI preventing them due to DRS or are they just pants?

Last edited:

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Is there a reason why so many of the UMPS are currently England/Aus. I know we have just lost Rauf for obvious reasons but the deck is highly stacked ATM.

As an Englishmen I'd never seen Gould officiate in a test before watching the SA/AU's series and was very impressed.

Also what will they do if an UMP goes down injured/sick and we're down to three. I take it there is a secondary list of umps who do just odi's?

And not a single Indian is shocking but is the BCCI preventing them due to DRS or are they just pants?
They're **** judging by what we see in ODIs.

TNT

Banned
Maybe if there is a home umpire then the opposition gets an extra 4 referrals to combat any underlying bias. I.E if they bring in a Australian umpire then England get extra referrals on his decisions.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Maybe if there is a home umpire then the opposition gets an extra 4 referrals to combat any underlying bias. I.E if they bring in a Australian umpire then England get extra referrals on his decisions.
Surely that's a ****ing joke??

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I wouldn't be opposed to England and Australia fielding one umpire apiece for Ashes matches, though I agree that it wouldn't be ideal (imagine the outcry if Ian Gould had been the one to give Broad not out for the Agar catch - what was a bad mistake for Dar could've been a career-ending one for an English umpire). The ICC needs to start investing in umpiring around the world, and focus on building a more diverse umpiring panel.
Apparently there is a lot of interest in being in being an umpire these days

However, like players, umpires need time to develop their skills and the next level of guys just aren't up to it atm (remember that the current elite panel was only appointed about a month ago)

Anyway, according to a friend of mine at the ICC, umpiring standards and/or the number of guys coming through in that field isn't the major issue facing facing cricket

That title belongs to corruption and the appointment of non-neutral umpires would only add to that perception