Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Umpire thread (not wambulance)

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Furball's Avatar

Umpire thread (not wambulance)

Just realised that 8 of the 12 elite umpires are English or Australian, thus effectively leaving us with 4 umpires for the Ashes - Dharmasena, Dar, Erasmus and Tony Hill.

In today's DRS world, do we really need neutral umpires?

U19 Vice-Captain
    You make a good point. I'm sure the quality of international umpiring has a lot to do with the reluctance of some very good umps to travel endlessly, with DRS in place the chances of glaring errors that are potentially influenced by bias or by maybe spot fixing happening are lessened a great deal.

International Coach HeathDavisSpeed's Avatar
    Rummaging through Iain O'Brien's dustbins.
    Still keep neutral umpires. What is a controversial decision is made after all your reviews are used up? I think we could do without nationality based disputes arising in such circumstances.
    Garson007 and BeeGee like this.
    >>>>>>WHHOOOOOOOOOSHHHHHHH>>>>>>
    Fascist Dictator of the Heath Davis Appreciation Society
    Supporting Petone's Finest since the very start - Iain O'Brien
    Adam Wheater - Another batsman off the Essex production line
    Also Supporting the All Time #1 Batsman of All Time Ever - Jacques Kallis and the much maligned Peter Siddle.

Vimes tells it how it is:
    Quote Originally Posted by Samuel_Vimes View Post
    Heath worryingly quick.

Quote Originally Posted by HeathDavisSpeed View Post
    Still keep neutral umpires. What is a controversial decision is made after all your reviews are used up? I think we could do without nationality based disputes arising in such circumstances.
    Yeah good point.

If anything the OP makes me think there's not enough nations repped in the panel
    Every 5 years we have an election and have to decide who are the least obnoxious out of all the men. Then one gets in and they age really quickly. Which is always fun to watch.

Bring back Bowden...
    BeeGee likes this.

Keep neutral umpires, I'm not aware of any other major sports where at international level a team could be officiated by a person from their country?

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Surely DRS makes non-neutral umpires even less necessary? At least without it you could argue that it's a tough job and maybe there isn't anyone from outside the competing nations that could do it as well. With DRS almost anyone could do it, so there's no need to stoke up a load of unnecessary controversy.
    Quote Originally Posted by zaremba View Post
    The Filth have comfortably the better bowling. But the Gash have the batting. Might be quite good to watch.

On top of a pile of money, surrounded by many beautiful women
    I wouldn't be opposed to England and Australia fielding one umpire apiece for Ashes matches, though I agree that it wouldn't be ideal (imagine the outcry if Ian Gould had been the one to give Broad not out for the Agar catch - what was a bad mistake for Dar could've been a career-ending one for an English umpire). The ICC needs to start investing in umpiring around the world, and focus on building a more diverse umpiring panel.
    Last edited by Bahnz; 14-07-2013 at 04:58 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by HeathDavisSpeed View Post
    I can think of a list of Sydney Grade posters who would contribute a better average post than Bahnz.
    Maow like no one can hear you maowing.

Quote Originally Posted by Pothas View Post
    Bring back Bowden...
    Just realised that **** **** isn't on the elite panel. Excellent news.

International Regular
    Bowden is the worst umpire on the circuit. Joke of a bloke. I wouldn't mind Aussies umpiring in the Tests, think the Umps are to professional to be effected by nationality but I agree with the point above that morons would probably jump on it if there was a controversial decision.

International Coach flibbertyjibber's Avatar
    I mentioned it on another thread about the fact that we only have 4 umpires for the 10 tests and that worries me. Hopefully the TB test was a blip and they return to being good again but I am concerned that at the end of the 2 series we will be talking more about umpiring decisions than the cricket that was played.

Is there a reason why so many of the UMPS are currently England/Aus. I know we have just lost Rauf for obvious reasons but the deck is highly stacked ATM.

As an Englishmen I'd never seen Gould officiate in a test before watching the SA/AU's series and was very impressed.

Also what will they do if an UMP goes down injured/sick and we're down to three. I take it there is a secondary list of umps who do just odi's?

And not a single Indian is shocking but is the BCCI preventing them due to DRS or are they just pants?
    Last edited by LegionOfBrad; 15-07-2013 at 05:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by LegionOfBrad View Post
    Is there a reason why so many of the UMPS are currently England/Aus. I know we have just lost Rauf for obvious reasons but the deck is highly stacked ATM.

As an Englishmen I'd never seen Gould officiate in a test before watching the SA/AU's series and was very impressed.

Also what will they do if an UMP goes down injured/sick and we're down to three. I take it there is a secondary list of umps who do just odi's?

And not a single Indian is shocking but is the BCCI preventing them due to DRS or are they just pants?
    They're **** judging by what we see in ODIs.

TNT
    U19 Debutant
    Maybe if there is a home umpire then the opposition gets an extra 4 referrals to combat any underlying bias. I.E if they bring in a Australian umpire then England get extra referrals on his decisions.
    If you nick it walk

Quote Originally Posted by TNT View Post
    Maybe if there is a home umpire then the opposition gets an extra 4 referrals to combat any underlying bias. I.E if they bring in a Australian umpire then England get extra referrals on his decisions.
    Surely that's a ****ing joke??

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information