• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Umpire thread (not wambulance)

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Seriously, would Paul Reiffel and Nigel Long be doing a worse job?
It's a fair point, tbh.

As Cec Pepper is now not giving plumb LBWs in heaven and both the crims and ourselves tend not to be unduly overburdened with pursecution complexes, is there any real reason why we can't have (say) one Aussie and one Pom standing?

I mean, no UDRS when India play & all that, so there's a precedent there...

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Still keep neutral umpires. What is a controversial decision is made after all your reviews are used up? I think we could do without nationality based disputes arising in such circumstances.
The alternative is having these 3 clowns continuing their attempt to ruin this series with umpiring that's now verging on the inexplicable.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The alternative is having these 3 clowns continuing their attempt to ruin this series with umpiring that's now verging on the inexplicable.
You do know that there are some people from outside England or Australia that aren't idiots, right?

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
I think we seriously do need to start thinking about banning the neutral umpires rule. 8 of the 12 on the elite panel are English and Aussies, and they're clearly the best. Would be so much better to get Gould and Oxenford in (I forgive the latter for the CT stumping because he's usually good on the field). With TV around it's much harder for bias to occur because of the higher levels of scrutiny. Make lots of poor decisions and you're off the panel so you're going to try and get it right.

Howe_zat

Audio File
We've already had people calling corruption on Dharmasena this Test. You want to throw partial umpiring into the mix as well?

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah no real reason why the third umpire can't be from once of the countries, but there's no reason why anyone can't be a third umpire. What makes an umpire with elite training more qualified to look at a tv screen than Jim Jones from down the street?

Can't get rid of neutral umpires, wouldn't be fair on the umpire. If they get a decision wrong you can just picture the calls of 'cheat' and 'bias ****s'.

BeeGee

International Captain
Yeah no real reason why the third umpire can't be from once of the countries, but there's no reason why anyone can't be a third umpire. What makes an umpire with elite training more qualified to look at a tv screen than Jim Jones from down the street?

Can't get rid of neutral umpires, wouldn't be fair on the umpire. If they get a decision wrong you can just picture the calls of 'cheat' and 'bias ****s'.
Yep. It would be just like the good old days of Colin Croft shoulder charging Fred Goodall due to perceived umpiring bias.

Poor Fred wasn't biased, he was just ludicrously incompetent. I proud NZ umpiring tradition that has been continued by Bowden and Hill.

Last edited:

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Surely the 3rd umpire could be an Aussie or English though?
I wonder what the masses would be saying right now if Dharmasena was English??

I've got nothing against using non neutral umpires in test cricket, I don't believe there is any way on earth any of them would be crooked. But the controversy over these ****ehouse decisions would be increased tenfold if it were the case......and I don't think that's fair on anyone least of all the umpires. So on that basis I'm against the idea.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
I thought Dharmesena was pretty good in India during the winter, does he perhaps not have much experience outside the SC? And probably not that much experience using the DRS if that's the case?

Tangles

International Vice-Captain
The Uzi decision only needed common sense and he had none. Training doesn't help that level of incompetence.

Tangles

International Vice-Captain
Agreed. The benefit of the doubt going to the on field decision isnt allowing the bad decisions to get overturned either.

uvelocity

International Coach
I wonder what the masses would be saying right now if Dharmasena was English??

I've got nothing against using non neutral umpires in test cricket, I don't believe there is any way on earth any of them would be crooked. But the controversy over these ****ehouse decisions would be increased tenfold if it were the case......and I don't think that's fair on anyone least of all the umpires. So on that basis I'm against the idea.
well theres the third option of them not being ****. unlikely sure

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
The ICC owe him one after his successful ploy to remind us that DRS is actually really good at eliminating howlers.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
I can't work out if the decision to give Root not out is worse than the Harris one. They're two of the worst decisions I've seen.

They must have a different version of lbw in New Zealand, was up there with some of Bowden's best 'we're not playing lbw today lads' calls.