• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Second Test at Lord's

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Looking at the slow-mo replay of that (normal camera, not HotSpot), I reckon the tape of Hughes's bat really messed with what we thought we were seeing on HotSpot, as did the mark on the ball where it bounced. It was the weirdest HotSpot I reckon I've ever seen - marks kept appearing and disappearing before and after the ball went by.

He's definitely hit it as per snicko but HotSpot was completely useless there.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
The problem isn't with the decision at all, IMO. It's just pointless to have the review system when, leaving snicko aside, there's nothing there to suggest he hit it.

Totally fine with him being out. Think it's dumb to go through all that effort reviewing it and then leave it as out when it doesn't show up on hotspot. Either trust the technology or don't use it and get on with the game.

outbreak

First Class Debutant
nah **** off ****s think about Clarke and Haddin at TB they were the faintest of edges, hotspot picked them up and there was nothing then. If we aren't going to trust it why use it
And no matter what snicko shows the umpire isn't using that evidence so what is he basing it on if nothing on hot spot. Just confusing. Anyway on with the game the bad calls have gone both ways this series not just in England's favor so I guess is been consistently bad at least lol

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
The the audio was used though, even without snicko you could tell he'd hit it, correct decision made, no need for whinging.

91Jmay

International Coach
There was a noise in the real time camera from over the umpires right shoulder view though. If it is given out on field and the 3rd ump can hear a noise on that then it stays out. Simple.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The problem isn't with the decision at all, IMO. It's just pointless to have the review system when, leaving snicko aside, there's nothing there to suggest he hit it.

Totally fine with him being out. Think it's dumb to go through all that effort reviewing it and then leave it as out when it doesn't show up on hotspot.
Well this isn't even true. There was a noise that couldn't have been anything else and the front-on hotspot showed a flash that could either have been a nick or the mark from when the ball hit the ground. That definitely constitutes "evidence that suggests he hit it".

It's not conclusive evidence. I'm not sure it should've been overturned if given not out on the field. But he definitely can't overturn it when it's been given.

dermo

International Vice-Captain
I thought the point of hotspot was to confirm sounds were edges? if it doesn't is that not enough evidence?

Cricket Brain

School Boy/Girl Captain
Did Clarke say anything before the test about him dropping back to no.5? I guess it makes sense though considering his record at 5.

Spark

Global Moderator
I thought the point of hotspot was to confirm sounds were edges? if it doesn't is that not enough evidence?
Everyone is aware by now that Hotspot isn't the best at picking up thin edges. No chance of seeing a tiny dot when the batspeed is that high too

outbreak

First Class Debutant
Well this isn't even true. There was a noise that couldn't have been anything else and the front-on hotspot showed a flash that could either have been a nick or the mark from when the ball hit the ground. That definitely constitutes "evidence that suggests he hit it".

It's not conclusive evidence. I'm not sure it should've been overturned if given not out on the field. But he definitely can't overturn it when it's been given.
Sounds can be creaking bat handles or dragged feet. It's happened before especially that snicko result was tiny

91Jmay

International Coach
Not enough evidence to OVERTURN a decision but all the 3rd umpire needs is some evidence to confirm it. He got it from the stump mic, its really not that difficult.