Cricket Player Manager
Page 95 of 273 FirstFirst ... 45859394959697105145195 ... LastLast
Results 1,411 to 1,425 of 4092
Like Tree336Likes

Thread: *Official* Second Test at Lord's

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dermo View Post
    Smitteh should bowl the first over
    Should do a Warwick Armstrong and bowl the first and second overs.

i could die now and be happy if smitteh took 5, but tbh i hope Patto takes the last 3. I don't want him to have a ****ty game and then have the selectors try something stupid like putting Starc in over him

Quote Originally Posted by Stapel View Post
    It should be a good-to-watch and possibly very important session. Really hard to say where it goes from here. I can see the Aussies keep the momentum and take the remaining 3 wickets quickly. But I can see the English tail add 100+ too. I guess from here 350 is par.
    From here, 350 would be quite a result for England. Still well under par for 1st innings on this track though.

A few thoughts, in no particular order.

Evaluating Bell's knock, I think the scorecard when he arrived at the crease trumps the state of the pitch. He's now carried the batting for two consecutive innings, which deserves more credit than I've been able to give him previously. Doubtless others will beg to differ though.

Quite what it says about the rest of our batting when IR Bell shows more mental fortitiude than the rest of the top 6 combined doesn't bare thinking about. Once the bowling stocks in world cricket pick up again, our batting is going to provide regular repeats of the heavy losses to Pakistan and SA last year.

I think some sections of the media are going OTT about Clarke's apparently godlike genius in bringing on Smith. Two guys have just put on 150, the new ball's due in a couple of overs, so why wouldn't you bring on a part-time leggie? Especially when both of them are notoriously gash against spin. Surely bringing him on an hour earlier would have been rather more praiseworthy. OTOH handing Watson the almost new ball was brilliant.

Disappointing to see the scapegoating of Root and Bairstow when 4 of our more experienced batters either failed or just got bored and gave it away when set.

I can't see that Smith's success means that Swann will be turning it square today. Wrist spinner vs finger spinner and all that.

I reckon that Clarke will pass 150 on this track. Without getting into another discussion about probabilities, he's due.

Think the smart move re: Smith wasn't so much bringing him on, but keeping him on when conventional logic said to take the new ball.

Re: Root, I think it is harsh to be focussing on him but on the other hand, it's not like the way he's played has filled anyone with confidence with regards to his technique. He really, really needs to develop a front foot game if he wants to make it as an international opener, and particularly because he doesn't seem brilliantly balanced early on.
    Last edited by Spark; 19-07-2013 at 03:16 AM.
    + time's fickle card game ~ with you and i +

forever 63*

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sphynx View Post
    Well he should have one less wicket than Swann.
    And about as many runs as Swann.
    marc71178 - President and founding member of AAAS - we don't only appreciate when he does well, but also when he's not quite so good!

Anyone want to join the Society?

Beware the evils of Kit-Kats - they're immoral apparently.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Spikey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Spark View Post
    Think the smart move re: Smith wasn't so much bringing him on, but keeping him on when conventional logic said to take the new ball.

well it's not that smart to listen to me. i am a genius afterall
    Indians can't bowl - Where has the rumour come from as I myself and many indian friends arwe competent fast bowlers ?

With the English bid I said: Let us be brief. If you give back the Falkland Islands, which belong to us, you will get my vote. They then became sad and left

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Quote Originally Posted by Spark View Post

Re: Root, I think it is harsh to be focussing on him but on the other hand, it's not like the way he's played has filled anyone with confidence with regards to his technique. He really, really needs to develop a front foot game if he wants to make it as an international opener, and particularly because he doesn't seem brilliantly balanced early on.
    Yeah Root opening is such a balls-up from the English selectors. The biggest one they've made in quite some time.
    Quote Originally Posted by zaremba View Post
    The Filth have comfortably the better bowling. But the Gash have the batting. Might be quite good to watch.

I love how ppl think Agars batting can hold his spot as a frontline spinner. His runs are a bonus unless he bats 6 with another spinner in the team. I don't care if he's 19 and its a fairytale story. Judge him the same way Lyon and the others have been.

Smith taking 3 would only be surpassed for entertainment by taking 5. As it is the commentators will bring up Smith forever now when we need a wicket. Can he pull a Bevan or a Border?

As much as Smitteh takes wickets, he throws down pies as well, it was a gamble that paid off rather than a moment of brilliance from Clarke IMO
    RIP Phillip Hughes (1988-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by Uppercut View Post
    Yeah Root opening is such a balls-up from the English selectors. The biggest one they've made in quite some time.
    How do you think Nick Compton feels.......poor bloke has been ****ed over big time.

Quote Originally Posted by Uppercut View Post
    I mean his technique is fine for county trundlers who can move it about three feet but couldn't hurry a sloth for pace - see off the movement, get set, cash in etc etc etc - but against bowlers with proper wheels, it's painfully obvious how that could come unstuck.

Quote Originally Posted by Tangles View Post
    I love how ppl think Agars batting can hold his spot as a frontline spinner. His runs are a bonus unless he bats 6 with another spinner in the team. I don't care if he's 19 and its a fairytale story. Judge him the same way Lyon and the others have been.

Smith taking 3 would only be surpassed for entertainment by taking 5. As it is the commentators will bring up Smith forever now when we need a wicket. Can he pull a Bevan or a Border?
    if he can spend a decent amount of time working on his bowling he could be a very good bowler, he's got a fair bit of natural talent as the Bell and Prior wickets show, the problem is atm he's generally good for at least 1 boundary ball an over but if he works hard who knows, he certainly he has potential.

and he is the peoples champion after all

Quote Originally Posted by Adders View Post
    How do you think Nick Compton feels.......poor bloke has been ****ed over big time.
    Don't see how Root is doing any worse than Compton did during the NZ home tests...

Quote Originally Posted by Adders View Post
    I think we know exactly how he feels - he didn't hide his opinion when interviewed recently.

Quote Originally Posted by dermo View Post
    if he can spend a decent amount of time working on his bowling he could be a very good bowler, he's got a fair bit of natural talent as the Bell and Prior wickets show, the problem is atm he's generally good for at least 1 boundary ball an over but if he works hard who knows, he certainly he has potential.

and he is the peoples champion after all
    Right now, we can't really afford him to lose his batting at all and gain some bowling ability, he should work hard at it, but you can't be a part-time leggie and expect to be consistent, so for me he either works hard and becomes a genuine all-rounder, or he maintains his current ability and has occasional days like this

Thread Information