• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Second Test at Lord's

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
The 'bowl Jimmeh into the ground' tactic has me majorly worried.

Sure, he's incredibly fit and got through a **** ton of overs last time we were in Australia, but with 9 more Tests we need to seriously manage his workload.
Well hopefully the fourth bowler won't be so monumentally awful, and we won't get an injury with the other. It's a problem with 4 bowlers, maybe Root could bowl more.:unsure:

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Mike Selvey is saying that Tremlett was closer to this test than people think. He is the like for like for Finn along with being better in every way other than fitness.
I was going off Vaughan saying he was very good against Yorkshire. If others think he was/is close then that is good enough for me. Bring back the big man.

flibbertyjibber

The sensible thing would be to rest him for the ODI series.
To be honest depending on the workloads of Anderson, Broad and Swann I would gladly rest all of them in the ODI series. Winning both ashes series is far more important than an ODI series.

I'd even pick everyone's favourite Dernbach ahead of Jimmy and Broad just to rest them.

King Pietersen

International Captain
Big fan of Tremmers. Was working out over the late pre-season at my gym, the man is one hell of a specimen. Ridiculously tall, and immensely fit, was doing some insane sprints workout on the treadmill, so he's clearly been working incredibly hard on that part of his game. I certainly wouldn't be against his selection. Between Tremlett and Onions for me, Finn's bowled himself out of the second test, bowled awfully. No control of length, and bar a couple of decent deliveries which got wickets, bowled a lot of ****.

MW1304

Cricketer Of The Year
AWTA at this moment in time I would go with Onions. If Tremlett has proven that he's fit enough and bowling back to his best then I would go with him. I just don't see Bres doing a thing with the ball, especially at a flat Lords.

Expressway76

U19 Vice-Captain
Big fan of Tremmers. Was working out over the late pre-season at my gym, the man is one hell of a specimen. Ridiculously tall, and immensely fit, was doing some insane sprints workout on the treadmill, so he's clearly been working incredibly hard on that part of his game. I certainly wouldn't be against his selection. Between Tremlett and Onions for me, Finn's bowled himself out of the second test, bowled awfully. No control of length, and bar a couple of decent deliveries which got wickets, bowled a lot of ****.
Thing is with Tremmers, it's because he's such a big lad that his breakdowns occur. All that weight goes in the ankles, back etc. Muscle helps but also adds weight which increases the strain. Finn is the right build for a very tall fast bowler, Tremmers isn't.

LegionOfBrad

International Debutant
Thing is with Tremmers, it's because he's such a big lad that his breakdowns occur. All that weight goes in the ankles, back etc. Muscle helps but also adds weight which increases the strain. Finn is the right build for a very tall fast bowler, Tremmers isn't.
They have been trying to slim down somewhat but he's obviously a gym bunny. He's more of a union flanker than a fast bowler size wise though.

Its a travesty he's only played 11 tests but that's just how things go.

Last edited:

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I am a big fan of Tremlett as well but the fact that he is really struggling to pick up wickets at county level is a big concern

The word is that he bowled a couple of decent spells against Yorkshire but has basically been more medium than fast for the rest of the summer

Wouldn't be surprised to see him picked at some stage but nor would it surprise to see him as nothing more than a shadow of himself

morgieb

I'd pick Tremlett, but see England going for Bresnan if Finn gets the arse.

As for Australia, it probably would be wise to rest one of our bowlers given the short turnaround.

Handsome Harry

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Bresnan in for Finn is a no brainer I reckon. He doesn't have the x factor that Tremlett offers but he is strong and robust. Poms will be looking for that I'd think given the short turnaround to Lords and any potential concerns over how Anderson and Broad pull up.

Cowman out for Uzzie for us (whilst I'm secretly hoping Warner doesn't get on the plane to SA tomorrow). Harris/Bird in for Starc.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
I'd pick Agar's 1-2 ordinary balls an over against Lyon's darts
I don't really think Lyon is much of a darter.

I am a big fan of Tremlett as well but the fact that he is really struggling to pick up wickets at county level is a big concern

The word is that he bowled a couple of decent spells against Yorkshire but has basically been more medium than fast for the rest of the summer

Wouldn't be surprised to see him picked at some stage but nor would it surprise to see him as nothing more than a shadow of himself
Yeah, but the thing is that Bresnan actually is a shadow of his former self as well, and his former self was never all that amazing...

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Bresnan in for Finn is a no brainer I reckon. He doesn't have the x factor that Tremlett offers but he is strong and robust. Poms will be looking for that I'd think given the short turnaround to Lords and any potential concerns over how Anderson and Broad pull up.
Absolutely, we are going to need a reliable workhorse for the rest of the series so we don't run Jimmy and Broad into the ground.....Tremlett is not that man.

Gotta be honest and say I really haven't seen that much of Onions who is the other contender, can anyone comment if he is the sort of bowler that can bowl a lot of overs and keep it tight??

Spark

Global Moderator
Absolutely, we are going to need a reliable workhorse for the rest of the series so we don't run Jimmy and Broad into the ground.....Tremlett is not that man.

Gotta be honest and say I really haven't seen that much of Onions who is the other contender, can anyone comment if he is the sort of bowler that can bowl a lot of overs and keep it tight??
skiddy stump-to-stump sort of bowler. can swing it a bit.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
Lords will be quite dry like the NZ tests I guess, although it was the quick bowlers who dominated that game. I like these dry pitches tbh, the fast men get reverse swing while the spinners get turn, but the batsmen get runs if they apply themselves and bat well, good contest. I expect another close England win, but the Aussies certainly have a chance of getting up. The same bowlers should be picked IMO, maybe Bird or Harris for Starc, I certainly think Khawaja should come in for Cowan, but the batting order should be reshuffled so that Hughes comes in at 3, Uzi at 4, Clarkeh at 5 and Smitteh at 6.