Page 273 of 273 FirstFirst ... 173223263271272273
Results 4,081 to 4,092 of 4092
Like Tree336Likes

Thread: *Official* Second Test at Lord's

Quote Originally Posted by 91Jmay View Post
    Yeah I am not complaining about Sri Lanka having pitches to suit there bowling attack. It is logical.
    Yeah I know you weren't. I do think though as we saw when England toured India the sub cont teams are prone to be making too much about the 22 yards and it becomes too much of a focus for them. Personally I didn't care what they expected England to play on, it was our job to find a way to overcome the conditions and perform on them.......and we did....brilliantly, and that is what made the win one of the most special I can ever remember. I always got the impression though that India expected the wickets to win them the series and not the 11 blokes they put on the field.

And the other downside to their policy is their woeful away form......India just don't have the tools to play on the fast bouncy wickets in Oz or the seamers in England and it is because of the lack of variety in their home wickets.

But that's their choice and it's not for anyone that has to tour there to complain about.

I think Pujara and Kohli have the skills necessary to survive against good fast bowling on bouncy wickets.

International Debutant
    Quote Originally Posted by hendrix View Post
    I think Pujara and Kohli have the skills necessary to survive against good fast bowling on bouncy wickets.
    Pujara yes, Kohli no IMO. Dabbles to much outside offstump.

Quote Originally Posted by GingerFurball View Post
    The pitches aren't being doctored for Swann. They're dry because there's been close to **** all rain for the last 4 months.
    Yes, it's been dry, but it was mentioned that the TB pitch hadn't seen water for eight days before the Test.

I'm not complaining about doctored pitches, I'm just saying that in the context of the Herath/Swann debate its an issue that needs to be thought about, I honestly have no problem with England leaving their pitches dry, it makes for great cricket IMO.
    There are two colours in my head

Quote Originally Posted by 91Jmay View Post
    Pujara yes, Kohli no IMO. Dabbles to much outside offstump.
    Really? Kohli was India's best batsman in the terrible Australia tour, he scored a really nice 70 odd on a Perth pitch that was pretty tough. We won't know for sure until the SA tour though.

International Coach flibbertyjibber's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    Yes, it's been dry, but it was mentioned that the TB pitch hadn't seen water for eight days before the Test.
    Even in early summer when it wasn't hot and there was rain about the pitches for NZ were very dry. It seems a plan this summer which is fine by me to get dry pitches for Swann and reverse swing. Exploit what you are best at.

International Vice-Captain MW1304's Avatar
    How helpful have the pitches actually been for Swann though? Trent Bridge was horribly slow and Lord's broke up more than usual, but that was hardly a rank turner. It's one thing to look at how teams try to get the pitch to be act certain way but you have to look at how the pitch actually turns out, that's what is bowled on.

International Debutant
    Swan's bowling has been a constant menace to our batsmen in the series so far.

On doctored pitches, no one minds home pitches exhibiting their own unique character or that locals are more adept at mastering them. Its the deliberate changing of a pitch's character to exploit the opposition's weakness that rankles even if its their right.

as if it doesnt rain and sleet and snow there everyday. must have a tent over the pitch
    Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    I just love all kinds of balls.

Not as bad as india back in the day, apparently the groundsman used to water the areas outside leg stump when Warnie was playing!

Quote Originally Posted by flibbertyjibber View Post
    Even in early summer when it wasn't hot and there was rain about the pitches for NZ were very dry. It seems a plan this summer which is fine by me to get dry pitches for Swann and reverse swing. Exploit what you are best at.
    There wasn't much rain in spring/early summer either.

Thread Information