• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Second Test at Lord's

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Am I right in saying this is the first time since 1997 that England have gone into the 2nd Test 1-0 up?

Hughes has to come up the order IMO. Criminally wasted at 6, he was almost stranded on about 25* in the 1st innings.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Am I right in saying this is the first time since 1997 that England have gone into the 2nd Test 1-0 up?

Hughes has to come up the order IMO. Criminally wasted at 6, he was almost stranded on about 25* in the 1st innings.
Yes.

MrPrez

International Debutant
Am I the only one who would genuinely not have Agar as clear-cut in the team for the second test? I'm 90% I'd include him, but his bowling is why he's in the team, and I wouldn't say he impressed. Wasn't horrible by any means.but certainly didn't make his mark with the ball.

Putting him in as a top 6 bat is another argument altogether; possibly a better one tbh :ph34r:

Ruckus

International Captain
I think Lyon's bowling is better, because it's more polished, but not enough so to trump the advantages with the bat Agar provides imo.

flibbertyjibber

I think Lyon's bowling is better, because it's more polished, but not enough so to trump the advantages with the bat Agar provides imo.
At present Lyon is a better bowler but given time and experience it would be no surprise to see Agar as a Dan Vettori clone in a way with 300+ test wickets and stacks of runs. He certainly has the basics, just lacks a little of what will only come from playing more. Seeing as Lyon is ordinary i'd stick with Agar.

MrPrez

International Debutant
Yeah, as I say I'd stick with Agar. But it's certainly not something that should just be assumed.

dermo

International Vice-Captain
reckon Agar will bowl better on quicker pitches with more bounce given how tall he is and the over spin he puts on the ball

BoyBrumby

Englishman
To be fair to Agar, the word is he had a big cut on his spinning finger so couldn't grip the seam properly, hence the lack of side spin and the scrambled seams.

Had it before the test too, so if a nineteen YO on debut with a crook spinning finger is preferred it might be inferred that Bouf doesn't much like the cut of Lyon's jib.

Warner/Kahawaja for Cowan the only personnel change for Oz, IMHO.

England could make two; Compo might come back to open with Root sliding back down and any one of Bres, Onions or Tremmers (my pick) for Finn, who Cook patently didn't fancy at all with the screws on.

Last edited:

Flem274*

123/5
Cook
Root
Trott
KP
Bell
Compton
Prior
Bresnan :wub:
Broad
Swann
Anderson

Give Root more than one test opening, otherwise you've just been wasting your time.

Rogers
Cowan
Hughes
Clock
Smith
Warner/Twatto
Haddin
Siddle
Agar
Starc
Pattinson

#IHateTwatto

edit: just remembered the whole warner => plane thing. guess its twatto for six.

Last edited:

Expressway76

U19 Vice-Captain
Surely after 42 tests of mostly opening, they'll be giving up on Twatto in that position pretty soon? There's only so many quickfire 30's followed by soft dismissals you can tolerate from an opener.

Last edited:

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Has Katich actually retired from Test Cricket?

I know he had a (justified) sook after getting droppded from the contract list post Ashes but I can't remember if he actually called it quits.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Cook
Root
Trott
KP
Bell
Compton
Prior
Bresnan :wub:
Broad
Swann
Anderson

Give Root more than one test opening, otherwise you've just been wasting your time.

#IHateTwatto
You aren't wasting your time if you want a solid number 6, he's played there more than open, so you could argue you were wasting your time playing him there.

Has number 6 suddenly been considered a non-position or summat, wish people would send me the memo. There's been a few decent ones in the past.

Anyway, Compo for JB and Tremmers for Finn, for me.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Katich has retired from FC cricket in Australia, but I don't know about test cricket. I assume the answer is yes.

I don't know why Compton doesn't get more seriously considered for 4-5. If they feel Root is the best person to open then they can leave him with Trott and have Compton fit into the middle order (preferably higher than lower, since he's a bit stodgier than others). No reason why Pietersesn and Bell can't work at 5 and 6, that's where they used to be.

MrPrez

International Debutant
Why would you reshuffle the order like that though, Cabi? What point does it serve fitting Compton in at 4?

Spikey

Has Katich actually retired from Test Cricket?

I know he had a (justified) sook after getting droppded from the contract list post Ashes but I can't remember if he actually called it quits.
he retired from australian first class cricket butif they wanted to call him into the squad on the back of county form I don't think there's anything stopping them