• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Second Test at Lord's

Ruckus

International Captain
Bad form or not, gotta bring Warner back in. That's the only change to the batting I'd make. Really don't know who should be dropped to make way for him though. Maybe smith.

Crazy Sam

International 12th Man
The worst part is that Australia are very average/poor at all three formats of the game. It's not like they've been getting better at one or the other so even if the batsmen are playing poorly for test cricketers they haven't been performing in ODI's or T20I's either.

outbreak

First Class Debutant
nothing they do this tour is going to fix this team. The problem goes further than our australia squad. Need to look at the first class structure, so much effort and promotion is put into the t20 and getting result wickets rather than developing test players. Think it'll be afew years before we become a top tier test team tbh, even the young batsmen who've shown promise in FC in the last couple of years look like they aren't really turning into test quality players

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
The problem with Smith is that whilst he is dangerous when he lands one, he could never nail down an end by just bowling a steady line and length. I'm guessing the other two can do this at least when they're bowling well.
People need to get it through their heads that Smith is NOT a bowler FFS!

In the recently completed shield season, he bowled 15 overs

Does that sound like someone that has pretensions of being a test spinner?

Cooky Monster

U19 12th Man
christ Clarke looks so burnt out in the press conference. Borderline teary-eyed
Hes been carrying the battling line up on his shoulders for to long, with Hussey and Ponting gone its now gotton to much, he helpless really, its unfair and unrealistic to expect him to carry on hitting tons/double tons for fun.

The Aussie batting line up is like someone having their arm chopped off and trying to fix it with a plaster, Clarke being the plaster.

Son Of Coco

I don't care if your batting order looks like the South Park cripple fight episode, at lease Jimmy and Timmy put everything into it. To see the way some of our blokes got out in the first innings really was nothing short of embarrassing. It was encouraging to at least see Khawaja attempt to rotate the strike in the second dig, but look at the shot he played in teh first. Likewise Hughes. There's talk about whether Hughes was out or not in the first dig - it's irrelevant. The question is what the living **** are you doing playing that shot when you're on one not out? It's diabolical. To me, if Australia got rolled over for 120-odd and there was a raging green top with bloke nicking off due to some great bowlingk then I'll cop that. But it's not what's happening. Unless there's a dramatic improvement in the application of the batting unit, I look forward to standing in the arrivals hall at Kingsford-Smith and pelting rotten fruit at them.
I don't really blame the bowlers for this tbh. It's not like England has really got away from our attack at any point so far in the series, and they're getting **** all rest because the batsmen don't know which end of the bat to hold. I do, however, think that Lyon should play at OT, given it's meant to be a spinning deck. Maybe they'll play two spinners, I dunno. But it really won't matter unless the top order produces some decent runs for them to bowl to.

This was a pathetic display. Gutless and with no thought to it either. It's not that the batting failed - it's that the blokes failing seem to be repeating their mistakes over and over and over again. That's not just a lack of ability, it demonstrates they're as thick as whipped **** too.
****s they are.

:laugh:

Simply outstanding! And I agree 500%. If I can get a cheap Jetstar flight down I'll join you in arrivals.

the big bambino

International Captain
We have problems everywhere and should pick a side that can afford Clarke as much protection as possible if not actual support. Openers are a big problem but not as bad as 3, 4 and 6. I'd stick with watson and Rogers atm and, as has been suggested, get Warner back in. Usman seems to have a vague idea about playing seam which is better than most batsmen in Australia presently. To keep Clarke at 5 the top 4 would be Rogers, Watson, Warner and Usman. You pick the order. Hopefully that lot will supply enough sand bagging for Clarke.

Who to bat at 6? I see Smith as a right handed Hughes and Hughes a left handed Smith with their similar and runtishly wacky techniques. Its hard enough believing one will succeed but both? So they can have turns. Hughes first and if he screws up then Smith. If he fails then Wade.

Our bowlers aren't a problem and I'd keep Pattinson. If Harris is sore then play Jackson Bird. I think he might surprise the poms. Forget about 2 spinners. We don't even have one yet.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
I don't understand why Lehmann wants to turn Warner into a middle order bat.

He's the only one of the current openers who has shown the technique and ability to score centuries as an opener.

dermo

International Vice-Captain
No point in making wholesale changes to the batting line-up imo cause everyone is ****, but definitely need to change the batting order. Hughes back to 6 and Smitteh or Clarke to 4, i would put Clarke at 4 but we all have different opinions on that one. Warner probably comes in for someone, either Hughes,Smith or maybe Watson, i'd drop Watson cause he's a **** and England have clearly worked out how to get him out so unless he fixes the clear flaw in his technique he can **** off. Also while Smitteh hasn't made many runs he looked good in the first test and got a good ball in the first innings here, his dismissal's haven't been the result of stupid shots like Hughes or because of a massive technical flaw i.e. Watson. Thats not to say Smitteh has a great technique his dismissal's just haven't been as horrendous as some of these other ****s. The big thing for me though is the batting order, all the ****s have shown they can score runs we just need to put a stop to the collapse's and maybe we can scrap together a score of 350-400.

Also, although i like the look of Agar and think he will develop into a quality cricketer, but hes not ready to be our frontline spinner yet, Ahmed or Lyon has to come in but if we want to play 2 spinners i'd keep Agar as one so as not to weaken the batting to much. I wouldn't play 2 spinners though, cause you just know the test we decide to do it will be the one the pitch holds together and doesn't spin so much.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Well done England against a dire Australia.

I would bring in Warner and Doolan from the A tour.

1. Warner
2. Rogers
3. Khawaja
4. Doolan
5. Clarke
6. Smith
7. Haddin
8. Pattinson
9. Siddle
10. Harris
11. Lyon

I picked Smith ahead of Hughes or Wade because he might be able to bowl a few overs and is easily the better fielder.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
I wouldn't play two spinners on the dustiest track in the UAE with the bowlers Australia have.

Lyon makes my 11 though.

Tangles

International Vice-Captain
This test is the first time I have seen Clarke be affected by the dross around him. Got into his head and affected his batting IMO. If dropping Watson helps our best bat and Captain then he should be taken out back and shot asap.

Uzi and Hughes clearly struggle when having to start against spin. It's no surprise when Uzi had some runs vs the pacers under his belt he looked better against Swann. If they both play they need to both be in the top 3 to see there best IMO.

outbreak

First Class Debutant
Well done England against a dire Australia.

I would bring in Warner and Doolan from the A tour.

1. Warner
2. Rogers
3. Khawaja
4. Doolan
5. Clarke
6. Smith
7. Haddin
8. Pattinson
9. Siddle
10. Harris
11. Lyon

I picked Smith ahead of Hughes or Wade because he might be able to bowl a few overs and is easily the better fielder.
Doolan is a good idea actually, he has some decent technique and is worth a run. I'd like Wade in there though. We'd certainly have enough back up keepers if someone got injured on field :P

social

Bore off. He has bowled plenty of good spells for the Yorkies and for England. Accurate, turns it enough and has taken wickets. Steve Smith bowls a stack more pies as well. Think some of you lot might have to actually accept the other team are quite good at some point during this series.
You really have to accept that the English team, whilst a good professional outfit, does have its weaknesses and it is childish in the extreme that you chuck the toys out of your pram whenever anyone dares to post anything that is even remotely akin to criticism.

BTW, why compare Smith to Root as the former barely bowls enough to be classified as a part-timer anymore?

If you took off your English specs for a minute, you'd know that

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Doolan is a good idea actually, he has some decent technique and is worth a run. I'd like Wade in there though. We'd certainly have enough back up keepers if someone got injured on field :P
Yeah Wade could field at fine leg slip and him and Haddin might be able to cover some territory. Only issue, would be that if Watson gets dropped/injured we don't have much of a fifth bowling option.

I want to see if Doolan can handle Test Cricket. I have some reservations about his ability against spin, but why not give him a shot.

social

I really don't want to see wholesale changes and/or new players drafted in from outside the squad.

We have invested a lot of time and effort into Hughes, Khawaja, etc and we should use this series to determine once and for all whether they are going to sink or swim