• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Second Test at Lord's

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
It's futile mate, this is by and large the best we've got. That's why it's depressing, because for once it isn't the result of poor selections or anything like that. We just are sub-standard, and there ain't much we can do about it.
Sensible question from me (for once) - how much of the current state of Australian cricket is down to the fact that there seemed to be a resistance to introduce many new players into (probably) the greatest team of all time until they had all grown old together? Then one retires, they all retire?

91Jmay

International Coach
If one wants to judge these players on their inabilty to play spin, then yeah.. they are pathetic players but you gotta to remember that these guys don't get to play any sort of decent spin back in Australia which is evident from the Aussie spin stocks, so playing spin or reverse swing is something, they are having to adapt to at the international level which is never easy. Also these are young batsmen and bowlers who are being thrown into the deep end with a new role after every game, such impatience never works with young players especially in a team where the senior players themselves aren't performing.
Jimmy didn't bowl spin at TB.

James

Cricket Web Owner
It's futile mate, this is by and large the best we've got. That's why it's depressing, because for once it isn't the result of poor selections or anything like that. We just are sub-standard, and there ain't much we can do about it.
I think he might have went for Chris Hartley and Adam Voges as the backup keeper and batsman. Just a wild guess, I don't have any real reasoning behind it.
Fair enough, was interested to hear what the general thought was there. Thanks. Can't quite believe how poor Australia's batting is, the general mental state of the players must be shot to hell.

Ruckus

International Captain
Sensible question from me (for once) - how much of the current state of Australian cricket is down to the fact that there seemed to be a resistance to introduce many new players into (probably) the greatest team of all time until they had all grown old together? Then one retires, they all retire?
Yeah it's probably part of the problem, and someone like Ponting could have gone at least a year earlier. You feel Hussey should have held off a little longer too, but I mean it was his personal choice so there's not much you can do about it. The bigger problem though was the massive lack of good players in the Watson age group, meaning the bulk of the replacements had to be inexperienced younger players.

Garson007

State Vice-Captain
Get in some older guys. I don't understand the current obsession in CA for young guys when a decade back a player only got into the team after ten years in first class cricket.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Hey NUFAN,

Based on your 'Ordfinary away: Go for the draw' thread - what team would you be picking for Australia?
lol. Its pretty difficult with Australia since our bowlers are probably more likely to knuckle down than the top order but I would look at something like:

1. Chris Rogers
2. Ed Cowan
3. Alex Doolan
4. Usman Khawaja
5. Michael Clarke
6. David Warner
7. Mark Cosgrove
8. Chris Hartley
9. Luke Butterworth
10. Steve O'Keefe
11. Trent Copeland

- I had a last minute change from Siddle to Copeland as I would hate Siddle's average to go up haha and Copeland is tidy and a better bat compared to Bird. SOK is a tidy spinner and can bat.

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
lol. Its pretty difficult with Australia since our bowlers are probably more likely to knuckle down than the top order but I would look at something like:

1. Chris Rogers
2. Ed Cowan
3. Alex Doolan
4. Usman Khawaja
5. Michael Clarke
6. David Warner
7. Mark Cosgrove
8. Chris Hartley
9. Luke Butterworth
10. Steve O'Keefe
11. Trent Copeland

- I had a last minute change from Siddle to Copeland as I would hate Siddle's average to go up haha and Copeland is tidy and a better bat compared to Bird. SOK is a tidy spinner and can bat.
Haha, that's why I asked. Make Doolan keep and bring in McDonald for Hartley and Siddle for Butterworth I reckon.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Why would you drop an all time great player?

These things simply don't happen

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag

1. Chris Rogers
2. Ed Cowan
3. Alex Doolan
4. Usman Khawaja
5. Michael Clarke
6. David Warner
7. Mark Cosgrove
8. Chris Hartley
9. Luke Butterworth
10. Steve O'Keefe
11. Trent Copeland

Actually maybe Andrew McDonald instead of Copeland. Voges, Hughes, Bailey, Faulkner and maybe Silk and Hopes could come into contention too I guess.

Garson007

State Vice-Captain
Yeah it's probably part of the problem, and someone like Ponting could have gone at least a year earlier. You feel Hussey should have held off a little longer too, but I mean it was his personal choice so there's not much you can do about it. The bigger problem though was the massive lack of good players in the Watson age group, meaning the bulk of the replacements had to be inexperienced younger players.
Surely the aged journeymen will do better than the young talented whack-a-mole group?

Ruckus

International Captain
Get in some older guys. I don't understand the current obsession in CA for young guys when a decade back a player only got into the team after ten years in first class cricket.
Aside from Katich, who is 38 now, there isn't really anyone. David Hussey is all there is, and he is like 36. In terms of the options in the middle-age range of 30-ish, I just don't think there is really anyone who is that much better. Cosgrove maybe, but he isn't with out his problems. Voges, Cowen, Klinger - meh. Might as well just give the struggling younger batsmen more experience, and hopefully it will bode well for them down the track.

Last edited:

uvelocity

International Coach

1. Chris Rogers
2. Ed Cowan
3. Alex Doolan
4. Usman Khawaja
5. Michael Clarke
6. David Warner
7. Mark Cosgrove
8. Chris Hartley
9. Luke Butterworth
10. Steve O'Keefe
11. Trent Copeland

clarke
agar
copeland
faulkner
starc
pattinson
siddle
harris
cummins
lyon
bird

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Haha, that's why I asked. Make Doolan keep and bring in McDonald for Hartley and Siddle for Butterworth I reckon.
Big ask making Doolan keep IMO and I really do think Hartley's best attribute is to fight so he would stay in my team. I totally forgot about McDonald and only included him in my next post, a must at 10 or 11.

Ruckus

International Captain
Surely the aged journeymen will do better than the young talented whack-a-mole group?
I'm sure someone like Katich would, but really what's the point? He'd have like one more year in him. It's just like staving off the inevitable for the sake of it.