• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Second Test at Lord's

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Well, hard to know what to make of that. Root batted well. Australia didnt offer anything and England didnt push it. It isnt my favourite style of cricket -- I would have enforced the follow on -- but we all know by now that England have this strategy of making sure that the game is impossible to lose, not just get into a great position, and trying to demoralise the opposition, It isnt daring but it is effective and without emotion.

91Jmay

International Coach
Well, hard to know what to make of that. Root batted well. Australia didnt offer anything and England didnt push it. It isnt my favourite style of cricket -- I would have enforced the follow on -- but we all know by now that England have this strategy of making sure that the game is impossible to lose, not just get into a great position, and trying to demoralise the opposition, It isnt daring but it is effective and without emotion.
To be fair if we set them 600 that is pretty demoralising. Batting with no chance to win never feels good.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
To be fair if we set them 600 that is pretty demoralising. Batting with no chance to win never feels good.
Im not criticizing it. I dont personally agree with it or like it much but I understand it and this mentality is now part of England's team character.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Im not criticizing it. I dont personally agree with it or like it much but I understand it and this mentality is now part of England's team character.
Don't think it is just England. Can't think any side in the world would have enforced the follow on.

grecian

Would bring in Compton myself.
Nah, time for fun-and-games. Monty and Swann playing, Bop, Woakes or Stokes to be at number 6. or just throw in Adil Rashid. It's what I'd do.

But this is England, so expect them to just bring in James Taylor, or something dull like that, they won't go back to Compo, he's done after Root's innings today.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Still unconvinced by Taylor, tbh. Way too bottom handed and on-sideish to convince at the highest level, IMHO.

Plus Compo's only a pretend opener, anyway. Slot him in at five (Bell to four) and ley him play some of his shots.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Still unconvinced by Taylor, tbh. Way too bottom handed and on-sideish to convince at the highest level, IMHO.

Plus Compo's only a pretend opener, anyway. Slot him in at five (Bell to four) and ley him play some of his shots.
I think England's opening pairing is nailed on for the next 5 years now, barring injury. It'll be interesting to see who they do bring in if KP isn't fit though. Perm any one from 5 or 6.

fredfertang

I fear England will take the piss tomorrow and bat for two sessions with a view to winning by more than 600, and get the fifth day crowd of course

Kerrigan to come in for Bresnan at OT

grecian

I fear England will take the piss tomorrow and bat for two sessions with a view to winning by more than 600, and get the fifth day crowd of course

Kerrigan to come in for Bresnan at OT
Gotta be monty, his record at OT is incredible.

Garson007

State Vice-Captain
Go out there for 10 overs, get a lead of 600 and a double ton. Make sure that you can possibly get the third new ball on the last day for 5 overs or so.

LegionOfBrad

International Debutant
If KP is only going to miss say one match I doubt they will blood someone new as they're on a hiding to nothing (unless they can usurp Bairstow {please!}) Which means its either Compo or Taylor surely.

Or they go crazy and play two spinners. Lol