• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Second Test at Lord's

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Personally don't like Hughes at 3. Doesn't have that 'gun' aura about him and I reckon that's important.

Ruckus

International Captain
Personally don't like Hughes at 3. Doesn't have that 'gun' aura about him and I reckon that's important.
Well the only contender for that is Warner or Clarke, Clarke shouldn't bat there and Warner won't play. Wouldn't really care if it's a choice between usman or hughes, but Hughes would prob be more likely to cash in if he came in at 4.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Reckon Pieman has nailed it, except I'd stick Clarke back at 5 where he belongs and Bird or Harris.....either are better options than Starc right now.

Think that's the best team you can put on the park for Lords.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Can't wait for this to start.. Thursday 8 pm get here already.

Win the toss, bat first, KP to get a hundred by the end of stumps

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
No Cookies | The Advertiser

Peter Siddle – “He is the Vegan of our team whose favourite meal - is soft-shell crab … no this is my time (Clarke says as microphone wrestled away) – Siddle explains the soft shell reference was after he ordered a mushroom sushi roll and took a bite to find it was crab.

Ordering a mushroom sushi roll is a drop-worthy offence right?

Spark

Global Moderator
“If James could take one thing to a deserted island he would definitely take his mirror.”

yesssssssss

The Battlers Prince

International Vice-Captain
Well the only contender for that is Warner or Clarke, Clarke shouldn't bat there and Warner won't play. Wouldn't really care if it's a choice between usman or hughes, but Hughes would prob be more likely to cash in if he came in at 4.
Uzzie has shown as much chance as Hughes for mine and a superior technique as well.

Last edited:

Howe_zat

Audio File
You can't play Finn. We've got a 4-man attack (yes Root, I know, but we're not bowling a non-Test standard offie at Lord's) and we can't afford one of those 4 to completely lose confidence of the captain. If Anderson keeps on bowling someone's else's overs he will get injured. If that happens England will lose.

Bres in, either for Finn or Bairstow. If Onions can get reverse swing - because under 30 degrees at Lord's that's the way to go - than go with him.

Last edited:

Tangles

I'm expecting an unchanged team which means Ed gets 2 chances to lock himself in for the 3rd test with a solid, dour and dependable 30. I'd look at Bird or Harris for Starc. Both better bowlers and deserve a shot early in the series.

Handsome Harry

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Watto
Rogers
Uzzie
Pup
Hughes
Smith
Haddin
Agar (if fit, Lyon at 11or 10 (if Bird plays) if not)
Harris (if it's a dusty road again, Bird at 11 if it's a 'normal' wicket)
Patto
Sidds

What'd you think of Swanny's antiperspirant action Adders?

Last edited:

Tangles

No bad. I'd put Clarke at 5 though.

Since we're lowering standards maybe Ed could keep his place with a dour 20. A classy 9 might work also.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
You can't play Finn. We've got a 4-man attack (yes Root, I know, but we're not bowling a non-Test standard offie at Lord's) and we can't afford one of those 4 to completely lose confidence of the captain. If Anderson keeps on bowling someone's else's overs he will get injured. If that happens England will lose.

Bres in, either for Finn or Bairstow. If Onions can get reverse swing - because under 30 degrees at Lord's that's the way to go - than go with him.
I like the idea of Bres in for Bairstow, I've always been a fan of the 5th bowler and I really don't rate Bairstow at all so i don't think we'd be sacrificing that much in the batting. No way they'll ever do that though.

If it's a straight swap for Finn though it's got to be Onions.

I do 100% agree with you that we need to protect Jimmy at all costs and this selection has to be majorly towards that end. I said earlier it really is a judgement call by the management to determine if Finn is truly shot or if they have faith that he can bounce back from a shocker like that. If they do believe he can bounce back his record at Lords can not be ignored.

It's a tough one that's for sure.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
What'd you think of Swanny's antiperspirant action Adders?
Swanny's a bit of a vain guy H....it was hot, he was probably a little on the nose and wanted to fix it.

Storm in a teacup Harry......he was spraying it on his hands to stop them sweating. Nothing in the rules against it.

Tangles

Finns selection is all about Cook really. If he has no confidence and won't bowl him if he sends down a few pies, which is likely, then you can't pick him. You'd be down to 3 bowlers again.

Handsome Harry

Swanny's a bit of a vain guy H....it was hot, he was probably a little on the nose and wanted to fix it.

Storm in a teacup Harry......he was spraying it on his hands to stop them sweating. Nothing in the rules against it.
True. Nothing in the rules - explicitly. But how does it sit with you as far as the "spirit of cricket" goes? Personally, I'd like to see the ICC rub this practice out with a new Playing Condition. After all, I don't think there's anything in the rules about spinners wearing a rubber glove when they bowl to get more grip either.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
True. Nothing in the rules - explicitly. But how does it sit with you as far as the "spirit of cricket" goes? Personally, I'd like to see the ICC rub this practice out with a new Playing Condition. After all, I don't think there's anything in the rules about spinners wearing a rubber glove when they bowl to get more grip either.
I suspect there is Harry, don't think Agar was allowed to bowl with a bandaid on his finger.

So Swann does something out on the field in plain view of everyone and god knows how many cameras and people are looking to make something out of it........what about what happens in the change rooms??

You won't get much mileage out of me with the "spirit of cricket" line either.......really not a fan of the term and I hate the insinuation that cricket is somehow more honorable than other sports. It isn't, never has been and certainly shouldn't seek to be.

Handsome Harry

I suspect there is Harry, don't think Agar was allowed to bowl with a bandaid on his finger.

So Swann does something out on the field in plain view of everyone and god knows how many cameras and people are looking to make something out of it........what about what happens in the change rooms??

You won't get much mileage out of me with the "spirit of cricket" line either.......really not a fan of the term and I hate the insinuation that cricket is somehow more honorable than other sports. It isn't, never has been and certainly shouldn't seek to be.
Good point about Agar's bandaid. Shouldn't be allowed either.

Swanny was hardly in plain view - hunkered down in the shadows behind the drinks cooler!

Forget whatever it's called. I'm surprised you'd advocate it. It opens a pandora's box in my opinion. Spray on silicone rubber for the slips fielder's and spinner's hands? Vaseline on the bat edges? Hard plastic pads for the batsmen to make the leg byes fly?