• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Commentary thread

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I like Athers, but that commentary the crucial and final moment of a great Test was hideous in every way.

From Richie to that, suppose it just reflects the quality difference between the two games though.

If it was the Beeb, the Fail would be all over it like a spurious story about Ramadhan.

Pothas

Really? Did not really notice it being that bad. Is harder to a dramatic bit of end of test commentary when it ends like that.

jimbags

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
You're hardly going to get classic commentary if it ends by DRS.

That's the worst thing about it. Takes away the spontaneity of celebration and ends with everyone looking at a screen for a few minutes

LegionOfBrad

International Debutant
There's a few commentators who I think would be better behaved, for lack of a better word, in the Sky box.

Warne was dreadful during the Champions Trophy, but he's always excellent in the Sky box. Slats was excellent for Channel 4 in 2005.
Warns was pretty much phoning it in and cashing the cheques in the CT. I don't think he really cared. He has superb tactical insights when commenting on the long form.

Strauss seems to have a great cricket brain. Compare him to "why aren't there 5 slips" Botham. Room for both though I think.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Michael Vaughan has been doing some days end stuff on Fox, straight after play. Been very good.

Changed his tune a bit from about four weeks ago.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Michael Vaughan has been doing some days end stuff on Fox, straight after play. Been very good.

I don't hear much of Vaughan because I don't listen to TMS much, but from what I know he's always been a twitter/internet troll, while being a decent commy.

Howe_zat

Audio File

Think he's generally pretty poor on TMS, uses the Botham trick of contradicting himself so as he's always right

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The amount of love Athers has for Rad Haddin must have pissed off so many Pricktorians

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I like Athers, but that commentary the crucial and final moment of a great Test was hideous in every way.

From Richie to that, suppose it just reflects the quality difference between the two games though.

If it was the Beeb, the Fail would be all over it like a spurious story about Ramadhan.
I was having a chat with a mate over it and asked him what he thought about Athers letting us know what the third umpire was saying before the umpire gave it out.

Anyone have any thoughts?

I agree with those that say Athers couldn't really have his "Benaud" chance because of DRS. I mean firstly it wasn't even given out, and secondly it then went to the replay, and third, no one knew what the umpire was going to do until the very end. Impossible to really commentate well with that.

Last edited:

Howe_zat

Audio File
I was having a chat with a mate over it and asked him what he thought about Athers letting us know what the third umpire was saying before the umpire gave it out.

I agree with those that say Athers couldn't really have his "Benaud" chance because of DRS. I mean firstly it wasn't even given out, and secondly it then went to the replay, and third, no one knew what the umpire was going to do until the very end. Impossible to really commentate well with that.
I think you can, people have made tension out of the big screen announcements for run outs/stumpings for ages, don't see why waiting for the umpire's signal is different

Furball

Evil Scotsman

I didn't start celebrating until the umpire raised his finger.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
I didn't start celebrating until the umpire raised his finger.
Damn right, especially with the way the reviews have gone in this test.

As we were watching the replays I had my head in my hands yelling "He's out, he's hit it....gotta give that......surely to god" etc.........wasn't till the finger went up that I started my happy dance around the lounge room:D

grecian

I think you can, people have made tension out of the big screen announcements for run outs/stumpings for ages, don't see why waiting for the umpire's signal is different
Yeah, I just thought it was fairly monotone and down-played. He also didn't seem to want it be out. His opinion that it wasn't clear cut was wrong IMHO. I think casual watchers thought it was an iffy decision, which it really wasn't.

It's a time you needed the exuberance of Bumble TBH.

Pothas

Think he's generally pretty poor on TMS, uses the Botham trick of contradicting himself so as he's always right
I listened to 'six duck six' for reasons I can still not fathom last night and he was just a bit of a dick on that.

The callers were so much worse though, aside from the occasional old Fred Trueman fan they were nearly all blatantly ashes only cricket fans who were only interested in taking in the Broad thing, I don't have a problem with casual fans who only follow the ashes but my god why do they want to phone in and talk as if they are experts.

Cooky Monster

U19 12th Man
I listen to a bit of TMS and Vaughan isn't all that, hes not someone you care to listen to either way.

Boycott on the other hand i know rubs some people up the wrong way but for me hes pure quality to listen to.

One thing TMS really need to do it put Blowers out to pasture, its 5 years overdue as it is, talks complete ****, if it was just here and there then fair enough but the bloke can't go 2 minutes without f*****g something up.

social

Lehmann is a mate so bound to stick up for him.
I think that it has been obvious that the British media is just as bad as their Australian counterparts in that most of them haven't bothered to do any research into opposition players and, as such, are generally clueless until they see them playing against the home side

It's pretty appalling when you consider how much money some of them get paid and how many researchers they are undoubtedly surrounded by