• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Commentary thread

Arachnodouche

International Captain
Was Bumble always this funny? He's really grown into the clown role over the years..does it superbly too, I might add. Was going on yesterday about how he ran down the pitch to whack a dead ball to the fence in his playing days.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I'm quite liking Strauss. The polar opposite to Botham in that he's intelligent and nice.

Bumble gets on my nerves more and more every year. He just chats rubbish, he's like the old relative no one listens to anymore.

Last edited:

King Pietersen

International Captain
Agreed on both counts, definitely prefer Strauss to Botham. Bumble was funny in 2007, but his schtick is getting old. He's irritating as hell on Twitter, and just seems to talk constant crap on commentary.

TNT

Banned
Listening to the English commies on the radio one could think the Ashes started in 2005 then played again in 2009 and 2010/11.

uvelocity

International Coach
not commentary as such but keep hearing clunk noises that sound like the ball hitting stumps or a hit wicket, can they **** this off please

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
If you have ever had the displeasure of having to listen to Alec Stewart commentate then Strauss' voice is positively vibrant.

Listened to a bit of TMS in the car and, even though I have never liked him, Blofeld has got even worse of late. McGrath seems OK, and even Vaughan has got a little better

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Strauss isn't too bad for a bloke who has just started out - if he improves as much as Nasser has over the years (he really was piss poor when he first started) then he's going to end up as one of the best

greg

International Debutant
If you have ever had the displeasure of having to listen to Alec Stewart commentate then Strauss' voice is positively vibrant.

Listened to a bit of TMS in the car and, even though I have never liked him, Blofeld has got even worse of late. McGrath seems OK, and even Vaughan has got a little better
I don't think you can appreciate quite how bad Blofeld is as a commentator (as opposed perhaps to a general entertainer/raconteur which is undoubtedly why he is still there) unless you listen to him whilst watching the cricket live. It is not an exaggeration to say that often there are simply two completely different games going on - one as described by Blofeld and one that is actually happening! A large amount of the time he simply doesn't have a clue what has happened to a delivery and so just makes it up! It's amazing. I can be sitting square to the wicket off a fast bowler and be able to tell through cricket experience and reaction of the players that a player has been given out caught at slip, and he'll be telling the world that he's been given out LBW! Or he'll spend a whole over not noticing who is batting or even who is bowling! Or something else.

Last edited:

Burgey

Yeah Blowers is a relic of a bygone age when radio commentators could basically make it up as they went because no one had television and could tell what the hell was going on :)

Burgey

Strauss isn't too bad for a bloke who has just started out - if he improves as much as Nasser has over the years (he really was piss poor when he first started) then he's going to end up as one of the best
Quite interesting how that can go. When Healy first started I thought he gave some good insights and because he spoke quite clearly he was a good addition. There was also a fair level of novelty about it because he and Tubby were the first additions to the Nine commentary team in literally decades.

Since then though, he's just got worse and become a cheer leader and little else.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Quite interesting how that can go. When Healy first started I thought he gave some good insights and because he spoke quite clearly he was a good addition. There was also a fair level of novelty about it because he and Tubby were the first additions to the Nine commentary team in literally decades.

Since then though, he's just got worse and become a cheer leader and little else.
Slats has been a bit the same too.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Slats has been a bit the same too.
There's a few commentators who I think would be better behaved, for lack of a better word, in the Sky box.

Warne was dreadful during the Champions Trophy, but he's always excellent in the Sky box. Slats was excellent for Channel 4 in 2005.

Howe_zat

Audio File
This thing they've got with interviewing players in front of the replay screen is a brilliant idea. Just need to work on the questions