Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Commentary thread

Strauss is valuable because he provides a recent insight into the England team, particularly into Cook's captaincy, but I don't particularly enjoy his analysis. Warne is good because the team needs an Australian voice, someone who has insight into the Australian way of playing cricket, he is also the spin guru, love his commentary. the rest of the sky team are OK, Athers and Nasser probably the best.
    There are two colours in my head

Sugarealm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Furball's Avatar
    Strauss is good because he's not yet slipped into the "if I was captain I'd have 7 slips and would've declared 300 runs ago" mindset that seems to infect ex-captains when they hit the commentary box.
    hendrix likes this.

International Coach
    Suicide Bob Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by GingerFurball View Post
    Strauss is good because he's not yet slipped into the "if I was captain I'd have 7 slips and would've declared 300 runs ago" mindset that seems to infect ex-captains when they hit the commentary box.
    So true. I just wish he had a better voice though

Really enjoy Nasser these days, and I'm starting to dislike Holding a bit. He was spouting some seriously unresearched rubbish about the DRS the other day, was speaking so confidently when anyone with half a brain knew he was wrong.

Yep, Holding only good with the fast bowlers

Quote Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
    So true. I just wish he had a better voice though

Really enjoy Nasser these days, and I'm starting to dislike Holding a bit. He was spouting some seriously unresearched rubbish about the DRS the other day, was speaking so confidently when anyone with half a brain knew he was wrong.
    Yeah, I've gone off Holding quite a bit this series, although I can't really pinpoint why.

The other thing about Strauss I like is his insight into the dressing room. It's something I've always thought of Nasser Hussain as providing but it's only when I actually stop and think about it that I realise that actually, Hussain stopped being captain 10 years ago and only captained Jimmy Anderson (for all of 3 Tests) of the recent dressing room, and only really played alongside Strauss (1 Test) and Collingwood (couple of Tests and maybe some ODIs).

Holding just seems to say dumb things with weird regularity. Like, things which are patently untrue.
    + time's fickle card game ~ with you and i +

get ready for a broken ****in' arm

but his voice is cool man
    Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    I just love all kinds of balls.

Quote Originally Posted by Spark View Post
    Holding just seems to say dumb things with weird regularity. Like, things which are patently untrue.
    What about when he gives insights such as "e is getting intwho the red zawn"? Top stuff IMO

International Vice-Captain King Pietersen's Avatar
    I enjoy his spin bowling analysis. Quite obviously has no idea what he's going on about, but persists anyway, talking about the shiny side of the ball, and Swann 'swinging' the ball. He does get away with it because of his voice though. I'd much rather listen to him talk rubbish, than Strauss talk sense, purely because his voice is better to listen to.
    www.proudtofight.com

Quote Originally Posted by Cricinfo
    Styris to Pietersen, SIX, wow, what a shot, that is awesome...it's a repeat of his six off Muralitharan at Edgbaston, as he switches his grip and reverse-hits Styris over deep cover (or should that be deep square-leg) for a memorable maximum.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cricinfo
    Styris to Pietersen, SIX, that's the most extraordinary shot, he switches his grip to that of a left-hander and launches Stryis high over long-off for a might six. That is one of the more incredible shots you'll see

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Yeah I can't help but find Holding far more affable than any of the others, even when he is talking bollocks.
    Quote Originally Posted by zaremba View Post
    The Filth have comfortably the better bowling. But the Gash have the batting. Might be quite good to watch.

Warne call England players "smug and arrogant" with regard to their comments post Old Trafford.

In other news Pot declares that kettle "Is Definetly Black!"
    honestbharani likes this.

Listen to a fair bit of TMS when not around a TV, Vaughan has made me dislike him and Bairstow more than i should with his 'Here comes Jonnnnnnnnnnny Bairstow!', 'Heres Jonnnnnnnny Bairstow!', Jonny Bairstow this, Jonny Bairstow that, 95 v SA at Lords, arggghhh please give it a ****ing rest!

Pisses me right off and in a peverse sort of way im glad Bairstow is failing just so Vaughan can stop giving him the big build up and generally shut his irritating mouth about Jonnnnnnnnnny Bairstow!

He has toned it down now, he has to, but i don't hear him calling for Jonnnnnnny Bairstow! to be dropped unlike Compton who he couldn't wait to stick the knife in after a few poor knocks.

Blatently biased commentators generally come across as dickheads, Vaughan definatetly does.
    Last edited by Cooky Monster; 09-08-2013 at 06:06 PM.

International Debutant Dissector's Avatar
    That session with Warne, Nasser and Strauss in the nets was seriously excellent. Some of the best cricket TV I have seen in a while.

Wish I'd seen it but I ****ing slept in this morning.

International Debutant Dissector's Avatar
    Basically Warne bowled an over to Nasser and Strauss and talked about how he would use the first over to size up the pitch and formulate his plans. The batsmen explained what they would watch for when playing Warne. In between they showed and talked about some of Warne's famous dismissals. And as a bonus Nasser and Strauss re-enacted their famous mix-up at Lord's.

Hope someone puts it up on Youtube because it was a gem.

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast

Thread Information