• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Coverage in Australia

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
After thinking I would miss out due to not having Foxtel atm, it seems that the series is going to be on GEM.

Great news (for myself at least) if this is true, but also a bit funny that our first batch of HD Watto is because the cricket is secondary to Nine's primary scheduling.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
After thinking I would miss out due to not having Foxtel atm, it seems that the series is going to be on GEM.

Great news (for myself at least) if this is true, but also a bit funny that our first batch of HD Watto is because the cricket is secondary to Nine's primary scheduling.
Excellent news for me too. Gem have been advertising every ball live so they had better ****ing stick to that!! Hopefully they will do a passable job of the coverage and won't bugger it up but I'm not holding my breath.

The only reason we are getting the privilege of having this on an HD channel is because of the crazy anti-siphoning laws that protect Australia's home series. Come the return leg it will have to go back onto Ch 9's SD channel.......all because of a tiny percentage of the population that don't have access to the HD channels (an HD STB costs 30 bucks FFS)

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
All TV is going HD soon anyway I think, in the next few years.

Don't you still have TV licences in England?

Ruckus

International Captain
Yeah I know, but it's still awesome for spreading the game, and for peeps overseas. If it isn't accessible via Aus or Eng, could probably use a VPN anyway.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yes, I think that's right. But I'm not sure whether all the shows on Gem are HD.

"I'm no Tech head"

- Tony Abbott, 2010

So I gather the Gem/ Nine commentary is just a feed of the Sky dribblers, or are they sending their own dribblers over?

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Excellent news for me too. Gem have been advertising every ball live so they had better ****ing stick to that!! Hopefully they will do a passable job of the coverage and won't bugger it up but I'm not holding my breath.

The only reason we are getting the privilege of having this on an HD channel is because of the crazy anti-siphoning laws that protect Australia's home series. Come the return leg it will have to go back onto Ch 9's SD channel.......all because of a tiny percentage of the population that don't have access to the HD channels (an HD STB costs 30 bucks FFS)
Can't they just put it on both HD and SD? All the HD channels here still have the non HD version for the troglodytes

Last edited:

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Yeah it seems weird to me too...here if there is an HD channel then generally the HD channel just shows what the SD channel shows.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Not in Oz. Gem is a dedicated channel in HD, it is not broadcast simultaneously in SD. If you don't have a HD receiver you can't watch it.

Because certain sports are protected by the anti-syphoning laws here they have to be accessible to everyone, as there are still areas in the country where the analogue signal hasn't been switched off yet and even where they have I guess there are some oldies that only have an SD STB, not everyone has access to the HD channels like GEM.

Anyways, great news that the England series won't be affected and we'll get to see every ball live.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Hopefully they will do a passable job of the coverage and won't bugger it up but I'm not holding my breath.
Well my worst fears were realised last night.......****ing shocking job done by GEM. How the hell can you miss the first ball of an Ashes contest?? They started in the worst possible way and didn't improve as the night went on, countless passages of play lost to ad breaks.......was hopeless.

Just got to face the facts now, if you want to watch sport you simply have to pay for it.........FTA and sport just doesn't work any more.

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
Honestly, the difference between HD and SD isn't that big of a problem. Don't see what all the fuss is about.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Not in Oz. Gem is a dedicated channel in HD, it is not broadcast simultaneously in SD. If you don't have a HD receiver you can't watch it.

Because certain sports are protected by the anti-syphoning laws here they have to be accessible to everyone, as there are still areas in the country where the analogue signal hasn't been switched off yet and even where they have I guess there are some oldies that only have an SD STB, not everyone has access to the HD channels like GEM.

Anyways, great news that the England series won't be affected and we'll get to see every ball live.
Yup, its sort of like ITV4 being all in HD and the rest of the ITV stations not being.