• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who's the one player that each side simply can't do without?

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It's definitely something that's been discussed before, whether it was a general discussion, or linked to the last Ashes or the England v India series 2 years ago.
Yeah but for SA for example you may have previously said Kallis or Steyn you may now say Amla etc...

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
I'd actually say Prior is the most vital to England's balance.

As good as Jimmeh A undoubtedly is, we have chaps like Tremmers and Bres ready to step up but there's a real big ****ing drop off in terms of quality for our next stumper.
There probably aren't too many bigger fans of Prior around than me, he brings an incredible amount to the team not just in his own performances but his mere presence behind the stumps and off the field too. I have got some serious man love going on for the bloke!!

If we were extending this to 2 players, then it would be very close between Prior and Cook as to which is more valuable to our team and harder to replace. Still think Jimmy is out on his own in this regard though. We are lucky that we have 4 or 5 quick bowlers that can come in and hold their own at test level, but Jimmy is a different class to all of them. None of our other bowlers offer the discipline and control that Jimmy does, even when he's not taking wickets himself he keeps it tight and our other bowlers are the beneficiaries with the wickets.

We'd be ****ed without Jimmy Anderson IMO.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Swann. The difference between their attack with and without Swann when they were playing us earlier in the year was phenomenal. Anderson is also critical, but I think less so than Swann.

Cricket Brain

School Boy/Girl Captain
Yeah I'll go for Clarke and Anderson as well.

If Clarke has a poor series, I just can't see Australia scoring close to enough runs to win. Anderson as the leader of the attack is crucial. His swing is going to trouble the Australian batsmen who struggle with the moving ball.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I reckon if Swann or Lyon are their team's top wicket taker then that team will lose.