• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Arthur sacked

Stapel

International Regular
So what has changed recently? IMHO, Arthur had proven his severe loss of grip on the team, when his vice captain did not return his homework in time. That was farcical. A coach that does not have the respect of important senior players, cannot function properly. Doesn't matter how good a coach he is! He should have been sent off then. Now seems silly, unless something has changed recently.

Stapel

International Regular
They can. Australia aren't that bad. England aren't that great.
I have to disagree here.

Clarke aside, England have better players on any position. I can't be arsed who wins the Ashes, as long as I can watch some good cricket. But I think these series are the least anticipated Ashes since 2003.

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
So what has changed recently? IMHO, Arthur had proven his severe loss of grip on the team, when his vice captain did not return his homework in time. That was farcical. A coach that does not have the respect of important senior players, cannot function properly. Doesn't matter how good a coach he is! He should have been sent off then. Now seems silly, unless something has changed recently.
no improvement in terms of attitude and standards is the cited reason. warner taking a swing while a bunch of playersare out at 2:30 the night after a loss is the informal reason.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
We're the first to go through this because of the age of our team, along with India to an extent, but it will happen to everyone.

How do you keep a culture where playing for your country is everything, when there's a less difficult, but far more lucrative option available every April and May?

Senile Sentry

International Debutant
We're the first to go through this because of the age of our team, along with India to an extent, but it will happen to everyone.

How do you keep a culture where playing for your country is everything, when there's a less difficult, but far more lucrative option available every April and May?
Yet India seems to be avoiding the pitfalls. The average age of the Indian squad is 27, and given the PPP, and the natural premium Indian cricketers command, they seem not be "distracted" as you suggest.

In other words, you bear, get another excuse.

Viscount Tom

International Debutant
Yet India seems to be avoiding the pitfalls. The average age of the Indian squad is 27, and given the PPP, and the natural premium Indian cricketers command, they seem not be "distracted" as you suggest.

In other words, you bear, get another excuse.
They got annihilated in 2011-12 broad and lost to us of all teams at home they're not avoiding the pitfalls.

Furball

Evil Scotsman

England won't have to deal with it to the same extent because the start of England's international season coincides with the end of the IPL, which affects the salary they can expect to command.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Ultimately, it is up to the players themselves.. If they try their best and things are still not working, its fine .. But it should not be for a lack of effort.

howardj

International Coach

It's a myth though that these guys all earn big $$$ in the IPL

Warner, Clarke and Watson yes...but how many others in the Ashes squad?

Guys like Wade didn't even get a contract

BeeGee

International Captain
Why didn't Rixon get the job? I've got a lot of time for Rixon as a coach.

It's true he hasn't been able to teach Wade how to catch, but even Jesus Christ couldn't pull off that miracle.

Last edited:

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
no improvement in terms of attitude and standards is the cited reason. warner taking a swing while a bunch of playersare out at 2:30 the night after a loss is the informal reason.
:laugh:

Loving this. Imagine what Warner's thinking. "I **** up, the coach gets fired! coool"...He's not their ****ing babysitter ffs.

Also, all that stuff about "losing the players' respect is so utterly bull**** I don't get it. He's the coach. He doesn't have to earn the players' respect. He should have it simply by being the coach.

If the players aren't respecting him that's their issue not his. This is not the army where you have to trust your platoon sargeant or you'll die. This is a cricket team, and they're cricketing professionals who are playing under a highly qualified coach who is being paid to coach them.

All they have to do is what he asks. Hell, they don't even need to score any runs and they'll stay in the team the way it's going.

But no. The bigger issue is that the coach doesn't have the respect of the players...not that the players aren't performing...?

Senile Sentry

International Debutant
They got annihilated in 2011-12 broad and lost to us of all teams at home they're not avoiding the pitfalls.
That's because Sir wasn't there for the entire series. On a serious note, India replaced atleast 6 players between the Eng and Aus series. The squad which won the CT has just 4 players from the WC winning squad of 2 yrs back.

davidmutton

School Boy/Girl Captain
Watching the press conference this morning, Pat Howard and James Sutherland looked distinctly nervous, which is not too surprising given that they were refusing to accept any of the blame at all for the breakdown of team morale and discipline.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
If the manager or coacb loses the dressing room then his position is untenable.
i) the pub at 2.30AM is not a dressing room

but ii), more importantly, I just don't think this "dressing room" thing is relevant. The players are being paid to listen to him and do what he says.

Stapel

International Regular
There is no professional sports team in the world that works like this.
Really?
This happens with sports teams everywhere in the world. If I understand things correctly, Arthur's succesful approach was (partly? mainly?) due to discipline. That works alright with younger players, but not with senior players.

Spark

Global Moderator
What I'm saying is that there's no sports team in which the players just do what the coach says regardless of whether they respect him or not.

EDIT: No successful professional sports team, I should say. Emphasis on successful.

Last edited: