• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Arthur sacked

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
surely gotta be related to the warner thing
also, was it ever confirmed the players were allowed to be on the town the night they were? England/ECB were quick to say their guys were, but Australia/CA?

Spark

Global Moderator
We know that Sutherland is over there, and we know that Sutherland was pretty pissed off with the entire team and leadership hierarchy over the Warner thing, so that's not the worst theory tbh

Won't know before 9pm either way (and even then...)

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
The Warner thing was rather strange. Should've been suspended well beyond the Ashes and shouldn't have stayed with the squad, especially in relation to his recent history.

The last thing Aus needs is a "lad" in the coaches position.

Top_Cat

No matter what, it's a bad look for Arthur; if they shouldn't have been out, either he's lost the confidence of the players and they just disregarded him saying as much or he let them go which would be disregarding the instructions from home.

Last edited:

uvelocity

International Coach
pretty sure we can all agree wayne is the better of the arthurs brothers and wouldn't have let them end a punch on with an undecided verdict

Spark

Global Moderator
The Warner thing was rather strange. Should've been suspended well beyond the Ashes and shouldn't have stayed with the squad, especially in relation to his recent history.

Yeah concerned about this. Arguably our problems stem from an "old boys" sort of culture, keeping it insular by bringing back old-timers can't be the best for that.

Spikey

Arthur didn't have a say in Warner's punishment though. It was an CA matter. However, there was talk Arthur and the team manager and whichever one of Bailey/Clarke didn't really rush in tell CA what happened.

I do agree I find it strange that we've spent a lot of time trying to drag the team into the 21st century in terms of professionalism, and we're gonna hire a guy who uses the term old school. But it'll be on an interim basis. He can lose the job.

Top_Cat

Lehmann's generally not too fussed about players getting on the tiles if it bonds them as a team, did enough of that himself as a younger man and he's definitely a strong believer in guys getting to know each other socially. Wondering whether stuff like that will factor in as coach as of the Test side, especially on tour.

I mean, when you're coaching, say, a state side and the guys have common bonds, it's probably okay but I do wonder whether Lehmann really is the guy to unite a team with deeper cliques which is away from home.

Last edited:

Spark

Global Moderator
Arthur didn't have a say in Warner's punishment though. It was an CA matter. However, there was talk Arthur and the team manager and whichever one of Bailey/Clarke didn't really rush in tell CA what happened.

I do agree I find it strange that we've spent a lot of time trying to drag the team into the 21st century in terms of professionalism, and we're gonna hire a guy who uses the term old school. But it'll be on an interim basis. He can lose the job.
True, but the chain of events is interesting: Sutherland blasts the team leadership, Sutherland flies to England, Arthur gets sacked.

---

Mickey Arthur Sacked | Arthur Made Scapegoat By Cricket Australia

Spikey

True, but the chain of events is interesting: Sutherland blasts the team leadership, Sutherland flies to England, Arthur gets sacked.

well to get technical Sutherland didn't have a say in Warner's ban. CA gets an independent person to judge on their matters. Anyway that doesn't. WHat matters is that it was CA's matter so if Arthur has tried to cover it up......

Spark

Global Moderator
Isn't that part of the point? Sutherland made it pretty clear that he wasn't happy with the whole matter in general including the leniency of Warner's ban.

Anyway, enough tinfoil-hattery. We'll get a clearer idea tonight.

Top_Cat

Still pinning the majority of negativity in the team on having to keep Watson in.

Spikey

i really hope everyone around the team starts leaking stuff to the media before 9pm tonight